[SOLVED] Black screen after AMD drivers' update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WharfRat

Re: Black screen after AMD drivers' update

Post by WharfRat »

Daniel_AYA-AZZ wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:42 pm Thanks. Uh, I'll bother you with just one more thing. How could I do it? I mean, I've formatted PCs before, but never with Linux. I don't know what to do exactly or how?
Just follow the default installation steps and when you get to this screen the second option is the obvious choice,
2018-04-18-21-58-55.jpg
Formatting will take care of itself.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I realize this is too late to help, but I wonder if Software Sources > Maintenance > Downgrade foreign packages would have resolved the issues?
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Luckily, I didn't format the PC as I needed it for writing some essays, so I tried what you suggested it. The computer booted correctly, without Fallback mode activated. Most of the skins of the interface have returned and now I can access music and videos again (haven't tried games, though). This is a screenshot of a message that popped up once I started it:

https://ibb.co/iXD6ZH

EDIT: Alright, "software rendering mode" actually makes my PC to overheat a little and videos start to look as if the have a very low framerate. I'm open to suggestions on how to solve this problem. (And, by the way, thank you for your advise. We're a step foward in finding a solution, I think).
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

One thing you want to follow up on is changing the pin priority in /etc/apt/preferences.d/official-extra-repositories.pref back to 700.

If the gl packages reverted back to the ubuntu repo versions then the kernel parameter nomodeset is going to inhibit direct rendering so remove that from grub.cfg to see if that works now.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

Almost 20 days, but it's finally back on with its entire potential!!! YEAH!!! I cannot express through words how grateful I'm with you both for taking the time and effort to solve my problem. :D Really, really! Thank you! I guess this is it then. The problem is finally solved, nothing weird popping up. I'll try to mark the post as SOLVED if I found the button, haha. :lol:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

So glad you're fixed! To mark as solved, go waaaay back to your first post (if you can find it,) and click on the pencil icon and edit the subject line there. :D
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

MrEen wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:21 pm I realize this is too late to help, but I wonder if Software Sources > Maintenance > Downgrade foreign packages would have resolved the issues?
Good catch here with this :wink:

I'll have to use gui stuff more often :D
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Thank you. But I must say, your effort here was way over the top! I was following along early when you had another huge thread going at the same time and was quite amazed how you kept coming back with more to try.
Daniel_AYA-AZZ

Post by Daniel_AYA-AZZ »

MrEen wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:07 pm Thank you. But I must say, your effort here was way over the top! I was following along early when you had another huge thread going at the same time and was quite amazed how you kept coming back with more to try.
I couldn't agree more with you. He has been very patient with me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”