[Solved - we think] NUC7CJYH - Boot issues

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bara-Bus

[Solved - we think] NUC7CJYH - Boot issues

Post by Bara-Bus »

Just purchased NUC7CJYH. [Please under no circumstances ask me to install windows. I won't ever do that]
Boot issues include :
1. No access to Encryption page at start if you click on [ ] Boot USB first. (In BIOS)
2. If you don't click on [ ] Boot USB first you get the Encryption page but USB is not started so you cannot input Encryption password. So no boot that way.
3. On booting #1 after repeating you get Grub2. To get NUC7CJYH to boot you will need to access "recovery mode".
On accessing recovery mode go to update Grub. Then you will get access to inputting Encryption password. Once accessed you will go back to help screen, then click on normal boot. Up comes the login page.
4. last 2 problems are no sound and graphics drivers issues.

Any help would be appreciated as I don't know what to do from here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: NUC7CJYH - Boot issues

Post by michael louwe »

Please refer to ... http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake- ... nclusions/

For your very new Intel NUC kit, try waiting for LM 19.0 with kernel 4.15, which is coming out in early June 2018.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 am Please refer to ... http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake- ... nclusions/

For your very new Intel NUC kit, try waiting for LM 19.0 with kernel 4.15, which is coming out in early June 2018.
I'm itching already for that one. Considered buying a Mint-box Mini 2 but they are too expensive for what you get. I had the first type but it was always giving me electric shocks so I sent it back. That put me off buying a second.
Q: The Kernel won't make that much difference would it?
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Hardware device drivers are included in the Linux kernel.

In general, it takes about 6 to 9 months for the Linux Mint's default kernel to include driver support for the latest hardware devices that are released today, eg the Jan 2017-released 7th-gen Intel Kabylake processor was only fully supported by the Sep 2017-released LM 18.3's kernel 4.10.
....... This is mainly because the Hardware OEMs are slower to provide device driver info to Linux kernel developers, compared to M$'s Win 10 developers.

So, new hardware requires new Linux kernel.

P S - It is possible to upgrade to a newer Linux kernel in an installed LM system(eg upgrade to kernel 4.13 or 4.15 on LM 18.3) or slipstream a newer Linux kernel into the LM ISO file and then do the install.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

The Mint-Box Mini always gave you electric shocks. Noted.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Using Linux-Kernel-4.16.3 no wifi or sound?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake- ... nclusions/
The Intel Wireless-AC 9462 adapter is only supported in kernel 4.15 or later so I updated to kernel 4.15.14 and installed linux-firmware package version 1.173. The drivers also need firmware which was not available in the package that was installed by default. After these changes both WiFi and Bluetooth were working fine.
If it is the case that linux-firmware package version 1.173 is required you might have hit a wall trying to run Mint 18.x on it as the version officially available is 1.157.

Interesting that the reviewer doesn't say how they installed v 1.173 as it doesn't look like that should be available in Ubuntu 17.10 either - https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... chon=names

I guess they may have downloaded the deb package directly from https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/linux-firmware - that might be worth a try if you are feeling adventurous. Probably easier just to run Ubuntu 18.04 for a few months until Mint 19 is out.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

smurphos wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:19 am http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake- ... nclusions/
The Intel Wireless-AC 9462 adapter is only supported in kernel 4.15 or later so I updated to kernel 4.15.14 and installed linux-firmware package version 1.173. The drivers also need firmware which was not available in the package that was installed by default. After these changes both WiFi and Bluetooth were working fine.
If it is the case that linux-firmware package version 1.173 is required you might have hit a wall trying to run Mint 18.x on it as the version officially available is 1.157.

Interesting that the reviewer doesn't say how they installed v 1.173 as it doesn't look like that should be available in Ubuntu 17.10 either - https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... chon=names

I guess they may have downloaded the deb package directly from https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/linux-firmware - that might be worth a try if you are feeling adventurous. Probably easier just to run Ubuntu 18.04 for a few months until Mint 19 is out.
I installed both kernel using ukuu and the linux-firmwares using terminal. It did not work. Meh!
I could not get the .deb installer to work.
Screenshot from 2018-04-23 10-17-29.png
Sadly!
Windows it is....as ubuntu is not my cup of tea it's such a horrible word.
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cavemann »

Hi All
I too have bought a NUC7CJYH the other day and initially had problems installing and running 18.3 however found the following:
17.3 installed and booted ok but as suggested above no wifi or bluetooth or ability to change screen resolution - pain.

I certainly have bitten off more than I know how to chew.

18.3 installed ok but would not boot.

Eventually found the F2 key got into the bios (you have to be fast) and in there is a button to select another operating system - Windows or Linux - what a surprise.

The Intel web site suggests loading the latest bios and shows how to check it in the bios - thankfully the latest bios 0027 was already loaded.

In the bios you are able to turn off secure boot, UEFI and set the first bootable device to the usb ports plus many other things.

After doing what I thought was right at the time and reinstalling 18.3 - it installed and booted easily but still no wifi or ability to set screen resolution as it could not identify the monitor and hence gave me max resolution with font so small it was hard to read.

This font problem was solved in Control Panel / Appearance / fonts where I set the fonts to a size I could read but setting the screen resolution would be much better

The NUC now boots as fast as you could want and everything is readable.

Ethernet works but no wifi or bluetooth.

Reading the requirements for the Wifi AC9462 on the intel website said Kernel 4.14+ was required so looking in the mint updates about the second last update is to update the kernel to 4.4? (from memory) which I did but still no wifi etc.

Reading above I see that Linux-Firmware 1.173 is required as well. This seems to have the required drivers in it.

I have downloaded linux-Firmware 1.173 as a tar.gz file from the ubuntu web site but am having difficulty installing it - as I do not really know how to do it correctly and all my attempts are not working - using Terminal and apt.

I hope this much is helpful to someone else and any further help would be appreciated as the little box is fast and small.
Thanks
Peter
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Cavemann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am Reading above I see that Linux-Firmware 1.173 is required as well. This seems to have the required drivers in it.

I have downloaded linux-Firmware 1.173 as a tar.gz file from the ubuntu web site but am having difficulty installing it - as I do not really know how to do it correctly and all my attempts are not working - using Terminal and apt.

I hope this much is helpful to someone else and any further help would be appreciated as the little box is fast and small.
Thanks
Peter
Hi Peter, I tried all Linux-Kernels from 4.13 to Linux-Kernel-4.16.3. with Firmware 1.173 and up to date BIOS. It did not work for me as I wanted Sound, Wifi, and encryption. Frustratingly writing to you with Windows installed.

Clive.
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cavemann »

Hi Bara
I will get there somehow - but don't yet know the way - surely not too hard.

When I get there I will post.

I am not inclined to install Win anything as I stopped using it so many years ago.

Regards
Peter
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Cavemann wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm Hi Bara
I will get there somehow - but don't yet know the way - surely not too hard.

When I get there I will post.

I am not inclined to install Win anything as I stopped using it so many years ago.

Regards
Peter
Pete I like your dedication, but there's a limit to feasibility. It's not there yet. maybe in a month or two. I hate Windows more than any other OS due to it's terrible integrity of which it has none. But, it's all that will work on the NUC7CJYH for now...

All the best!
Clive.
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cavemann »

Hi Clive
Don't be too pessimistic just yet!

After a bit of reading on an Intel Forum someone posted that they got their NUC7CJYH working by installing Ubuntu 17.10 and linux-firmware package 1.173 and with a driver update everything worked.

On another post similar - Ubuntu 17.10 with a kernel upgrade to 4.16 plus sound plug-in and codecs, no mention of linux-firmware 1.173 and again everything worked.

I downloaded and installed Ubuntu 17.10 and upgraded the kernel to 4.16 and everything seemed to work except the wifi. Bluetooth worked perfectly. It found my monitor and I was able to set the resolution as required.

I tried kernel 4.16.4 and everything froze so reverted to 4.16 and all ok.

Reading that Mint18.3 is based on Ubuntu 16.xx seems to prevent it working as I was unable to load linux-firmware 1.173 - or even access it again last night and I think it is because Ubuntu 18.04 is released today 26 April and this has kernel 4.15 and seems to include Linux-firmware 1.173.

I downloaded 18.04 and installed it - worked perfectly including wifi but as soon as I tried Bluetooth it froze everything and I have been unable to proceed as I would like to upgrade the kernel to 4.16 and see what happens. Intel says that Kernel 4.14 + is required so Ubuntu 18.04 should be ok but maybe not.

I also saw that Mint19 will be released probably in about 6 weeks and this is my favourite - nothing wrong with ubuntu - I just like Mint better.

Mint 19 will be based on Ubuntu18.04 so should include everything we need but if you want to try there are the options with Ubuntu17.10 and 18.04 as outlined.

I will try to sort out 18.04 to see what happens while I wait for Mint 19.

Hope this helps
Regards
Peter
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Cavemann wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:56 am Hi Clive
Don't be too pessimistic just yet!

I will try to sort out 18.04 to see what happens while I wait for Mint 19.

Hope this helps
Regards
Peter
Hi Peter,
I'm not pessimistic?
I was advised to use Ubuntu. Don't care for it.
I don't like Windows either.
I can't put Mac or IOS on it.
Android is a complete nono.
Linuxmint is all I want. Does everything I could ever want or need, works well, had some teething probs a few years ago but now just constantly happy with it.
Using Windows at the moment as it's the only thing that works a little. It's not perfect as there are still faults with it.

The big problem with sound on Linuxmint is that it recognises the Optical port as it's first port of sound. This was traditionally the HDMI port so it's been kicked out of it's default position knocking all the drivers out. Drivers will work but it's not in default position so no sound will come out until someone realises it's Intel's fault for making Optical the default location for sound. Simple as that really.
Intel knows which drivers go where before manufacture. They just don't inform anyone. The company is a dead loss. Pathetic at being methodical in their production. AMD was so much better at this. That's why I preferred AMD.

I'm also a supporter of LinuxMint now as I want these guys to succeed.
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cavemann »

Hi Clive
I am only trying Ubuntu to determine what I need in Mint to make the NUC work otherwise it is useless to me and I made a bad choice in buying it.

Anyway a slight development today in that I re installed Ubuntu 17.10.1 and Bluetooth worked first up without any upgrades - very stable. No wifi.

Eventually I upgraded the kernel to 4.16 and rebooted and the wifi worked as well and still no problem with bluetooth working perfectly as well.

Screen resolution settable as normal.

Everything stable so far.

So it is now obvious to me that we need a version of Mint which can have kernel 4.16 (and not later as far as I can determine).

I have not yet tried the audio but with luck that should work out ok and then we will have a baseline of what we need to have or implement in Mint to get the NUC working like any other computer.

Hopefully we will get there soon as Mint is really the only os that I like using - and yes I do hope the Mint team succeeds beyond all their dreams - they do a fantastic job!
Regards
Peter
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cavemann »

Hi Clive
Ubuntu 17 is working on audio as well and hdmi output is selectable so everything works as it should.

I also tried a later kernel 4.16. 5 but it also locked up so 4.16 is it.

It runs perfectly using a 40" Hi Sense 4K TV as a monitor and streams tv no problem.

All to do now is wait for Mint 19 and apply the above and we should have a great little box.
Regards
Peter
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Cavemann wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm All to do now is wait for Mint 19 and apply kernel 4.16. 5 we should have a great little box.
Regards
Peter
"Can't wait"
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

Before deleting what you have on there, make sure you do all the testing on a USB stick before putting it on your main hard drive. That way not a lot of time is wasted.
Bara-Bus

Post by Bara-Bus »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 am Please refer to ... http://nucblog.net/2018/04/gemini-lake- ... nclusions/

Funny thing is NUC7CJYH rev is Called "June"
Cavemann
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved - we think] NUC7CJYH - Boot issues

Post by Cavemann »

Hi Clive
Just a quick update while waiting for Mint 19 - I downloaded and ran Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS and everything worked out of the box! no updates necessary so Mint 19 should be perfect.

I am writing this using Mint 18.3 on the NUC - hard wired ethernet , no wireless or bluetooth but that doesn't matter at the moment.
Regards
Peter

Return to “Installation & Boot”