Unable to install Felicia from Install DVD - Busybox error

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mindbender9

Unable to install Felicia from Install DVD - Busybox error

Post by mindbender9 »

I'm trying to install Mint v6 on my desktop and the Busybox error keeps happening after the GUI progress bar runs for about two minutes (using the Universal ISO DVD - Felicia v6).

Just to clarify, I cannot install Felicia. I cannot get to the first install screen.

I am using a Gigabyte motherboard with an Intel Celeron 2.0GhZ CPU + 1GB RAM. In addition, I'm using a SATA drive, which I've read is sometimes a cause to the Busybox fault with installed systems, but I can't even get to the first install screen.

So my question is: if I cannot even get to the first install screen from the DVD's menu, how do I install Linux Mint (or Ubuntu)?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joeham

Re: Unable to install Felicia from Install DVD - Busybox error

Post by joeham »

before anybody can help you, you need to try to boot without the pretty progress bar boot screen.

At the boot prompt type a tab character. The use the cursor keys to edit out the quiet and slash from the boot parameters. Then hit enter.

You will get a bunch of text scrolling across the screen as your computer boots. Observe what is being printed and try to post what happend just before you end at the busy box prompt.

Most times the text will give some indication as to why the boot process failed.
mindbender9

Post by mindbender9 »

Ok. After booting up without a splash screen, it seems that the boot process gets stuck in some sort of loop for about 72 seconds before it halts at the Busybox/initramfs prompt. This is what gets incremented onscreen:

[1.000]Ext3-fs mounted files system with ordered date mode
kjournald starting commit interval 5secs
[2.235]Ext3-fs mounted files system with ordered date mode
kjournald starting commit interval 5secs

And.... this keeps repeating until I get to the BusyBox v1.10.2 (initramfs) prompt.

I've read in other threads that changing the Sata mode from IDE to RAID in the BIOS could help, but not for me. I've also read that adding "pci=nomsi" to the boot parameters can help, but not for me.

So, can anyone help? Thanks.
mindbender9

Post by mindbender9 »

*bump*
mindbender9

Post by mindbender9 »

ok, it looks like no one wants to help.

Can't get an answer from the devs... can't get an answer from the Linux Mint community.

Oh well.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

mindbender9 wrote:ok, it looks like no one wants to help.

Can't get an answer from the devs... can't get an answer from the Linux Mint community.

Oh well.
that seems a little petulant. Just because you have not received instructions of how to get around your specific problem, does not mean that people do not care, it may simply be that the one person who holds your answer has not logged on yet. Be a little bit more patient.

Remember that not ALL problems have a solution, although I am sure that your one does.

Best regards Keith
mindbender9

Post by mindbender9 »

As much as I appreciate your advice to hang in there, I don't think I'm being rude for concluding that no one has bothered to reply or assist me... when they haven't. And I find it interesting that someone who calls me petulant didn't bother to offer any help either.

Been over a week. I guess people are taking their time with this Busybox issue.

I would, however, appreciate any assistance with this widespread Ubuntu/Mint issue (yes, I've Googled it). But any/all assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Installation & Boot”