Print PDF problem - master-pdf. Foxit, qpdfview

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Print PDF problem - master-pdf. Foxit, qpdfview

Post by oliverjames »

Yesterday I tried printing from a PDF file. My OS is Mint XFCE 18.2. I printed the page via XReader and found that I couldn't center the page. I then tried Master-PDF but the printed was so faint as to be illegible, same result with Foxit reader and qpdfview. The printer is a Brother HL2270DW. The OS is using Kernel 4.4.0.121, the problem continues if I reload with Kernel 4.4.0.116.

I can successfully print the test page with ppdfview from another computer on my home network, using the same network linked printer. The OS on the media center is MX Linux 17.1 (XFCE).

I've partially solved the problem by changing the printer URL on computer Mint Linux, from DNS-SD (previously on computer Mint Linux) to lpd (on computer MX Linux) and now qpdfview and Foxit both print the test page perfectly from computer Mint Linux. There is an improvement with Master-PDF, the print is now legible but I am still unable to center the page. I've advised the seller, Code-Industry, of the problem.

Can anyone suggest where the problem might be?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MichaelJohn

Re: Print PDF problem - master-pdf. Foxit, qpdfview

Post by MichaelJohn »

A couple of years ago I used 'atril' for this quite successfully.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I run into this problem when a PDF is set up to print as Grayscale. There is a checkbox in the Print dialog for MasterPDF Editor. You can also try to print the document as an image - for MasterPDF Editor the option is hidden behind the Advanced button in the Print dialog.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi oliverjames,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Check your printer's settings, and make sure it's default print quality settings is on "normal" versus "draft".

Hope this helps ...
Printer_Default_settings1.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 pm I run into this problem when a PDF is set up to print as Grayscale. There is a checkbox in the Print dialog for MasterPDF Editor. You can also try to print the document as an image - for MasterPDF Editor the option is hidden behind the Advanced button in the Print dialog.
I had just used this earlier today to help a friend, wonderfully brilliant, bright images in jpeg format.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

BenTrabetere wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:50 pm I run into this problem when a PDF is set up to print as Grayscale. There is a checkbox in the Print dialog for MasterPDF Editor. You can also try to print the document as an image - for MasterPDF Editor the option is hidden behind the Advanced button in the Print dialog.
I've tried all your suggestions but still the same problem; printed image cropped on both sides.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

phd21 wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:27 pm Hi oliverjames,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Check your printer's settings, and make sure it's default print quality settings is on "normal" versus "draft".

Hope this helps ...
Hello, tried but no change.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

oliverjames wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 amI've tried all your suggestions but still the same problem; printed image cropped on both sides.
In the Print dialog there is an option to Center the page. Is it checked?
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:44 am
oliverjames wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:10 amI've tried all your suggestions but still the same problem; printed image cropped on both sides.
In the Print dialog there is an option to Center the page. Is it checked?
It is, And the page looks to be centred, however it is not shrunk to fit the page and hence the left and right sides are cropped.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

Hello oliverjames

I assume you want to print in A4 format (France). Maybe the presets have changed to the American Letter/Legal.
oliverjames
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oliverjames »

absque fenestris wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:08 pm Hello oliverjames

I assume you want to print in A4 format (France). Maybe the presets have changed to the American Letter/Legal.
Of course, and no.

Return to “Software & Applications”