forum question [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
chazb
Level 4
Level 4

forum question [SOLVED]

Post by chazb » Tue May 01, 2018 3:05 pm

I have created 93 threads, some have the solved label, and some do not. How do I delete the threads that don't have the solved label, most were just dumb questions not worth responding to, or solutions found else where. Plus this would make it easier to sort through currently 93 threads five pages to find the ones that were solved, should I need to. Example: Like,,," Oh I had this problem once, before and this is what did to solve it".

Or is there a way to organize my threads so as to put the Solved ones on top, i.e. first page.
Last edited by chazb on Wed May 02, 2018 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: forum question

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:16 pm

I am not aware of any way to delete a thread, that is an Admin function only.

all41
Level 14
Level 14

Post by all41 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm

you can put 'solved' in the search box while you are in 'Your Posts'

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA » Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm

all41 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:28 pm
you can put 'solved' in the search box while you are in 'Your Posts'
What a great idea :!:
Tina 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.3 Kernel 4.15.0-58 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm

chazb wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:05 pm
How do I delete the threads
You cannot. Simple reason: As soon as another user has replied it would mean, that you would delete the post of another person. This is something, what only the moderators can do. But it is usual practice in this forum, that threads do not get deleted (exceptions prove the rule).

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Tue May 01, 2018 3:48 pm

As a moderator, I quickly discovered that physically deleting threads to be really bad business....

Invariably someone would come back and ask "what happened to my thread"?
Or, a poster in your thread who took a lot of time to give a solution, wants to know why "his post" was deleted.

What we do on my forum, if a thread goes sideways so badly, that leaving it up is detrimental to the health of the forum atmosphere, we move it into a "Garbage bin" where it can be retrieved if necessary.

In the OP's 1st post, he is just looking to thin out the chaff.....
searching for Solved in titles takes care of that.

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA » Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 pm

Is there an option to search for those that do not contain SOLVED :?:
Tina 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.3 Kernel 4.15.0-58 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Tue May 01, 2018 4:52 pm

chazb wrote:
I have created 93 threads, some have the solved label, and some do not. How do I delete the threads that don't have the solved label, most were just dumb questions not worth responding to, or solutions found else where. Plus this would make it easier to sort through currently 93 threads five pages to find the ones that were solved, should I need to. Example: Like,,," Oh I had this problem once, before and this is what did to solve it".

Or is there a way to organize my threads so as to put the Solved ones on top, i.e. first page.
If the solution was found, post that info to the thread and add SOLVED and leave the others as is. There is not always an answer at the time the problem occurs.

Many forums consider mass deletion of posts as vandalism and ban the user, other forums have a data retention policy.

The admins, xenopeek and Oscar799, have the final say on these matters

pbear
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pbear » Tue May 01, 2018 5:07 pm

wallyUSA wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:55 pm
Is there an option to search for those that do not contain SOLVED :?:
From the Search page, "Place + in front of a word which must be found and - in front of a word which must not be found."
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

pbear
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pbear » Tue May 01, 2018 5:15 pm

chazb wrote:
Further to all41's suggestion, use Advanced Search, include Solved as a search term, yourself as author, and search within topic titles only. That is, you can set all three parameters and, together, they accomplish this purpose. From such a search, I see you have 40 threads (as of this writing), not 93 (which is your post count), of which thirteen have been marked "Solved."

Another thing you should consider. If you're trying to keep track of threads on the forum (and other things), create a "links" document, either with a simple text editor like xed or a full word processor. The former is easier, the latter lets you create hot links, so you can click and open. Both let you take notes about why you're saving the link, which is something you can't do with a browser. Also, it's easier to manage a large list of bookmarks this way, as they can be rearranged, edited and deleted with a few keystrokes. FWIW, this is how I do most bookmarks, especially those for Linux, where as a practical matter the links are the manual.

From the above search, I also notice you asked previously about deleting posts. As explained in that thread, no, we don't do that.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Return to “Newbie Questions”