Lags and freezes when browsing.. from live cd!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
winxpwasgreat

Lags and freezes when browsing.. from live cd!

Post by winxpwasgreat »

I tried the live cd of xfce 18.3.
Certain pages such as idex.market/guidelines still kinda freeze the whole thing, same problem I get when I run my native cinnamon 17.3.

It puzzles me how I get this issue when using a live freaking cd 
Any explanations? My laptop isn't old.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Lags and freezes when browsing.. from live cd!

Post by Moem »

Reading from a CD is always inherently slower than reading from a HD or even a USB drive.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
winxpwasgreat

Post by winxpwasgreat »

Sorry - it's actually a live usb.

But the thing is, only when I try to open certain specific pages I get the lagging.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Even a USB is generally slower than a HD. Are you using USB2 or 3?

What's your browser and how much RAM do you have? Since it's also present when using the installed system, it might not be a problem with the live USB at all.
Maybe it's just a ridiculously large website that tries to run tons of javascript. Do you use any add-ons to block ads and such?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Silver Surfer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silver Surfer »

Hi winxpwasgreat,

Yes! I liked Win XP as well, pity they stopped supporting it.

I’m no expert, but as I understand it, Linux Live usb or live CD is only using your RAM, so is very limited in it’s ability to run the OS. The only way to make it better might be to install Linux on HD in a separate partition, or give up M$ as I did. Alternatively, buy a new HDD (they’re pretty cheap now), install linux on it, from your live USB, then keep your old drive in case you need anything on it.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice. LM Cinnamon 19.3 on HP Pavillion 64bit, 256GB SSD, Intel i3 core
plus LM 20 Ulyana on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Having Linux run slow from usb doesn't seem as puzzling to me, esp. if it does the same thing after installation (USB is a helluva lot sower than HD), , and it could get much less puzzling if you included some system details to see what's going on. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you were expecting a newer Mint version to run faster than the older one you use, don't. It happens but rarely. Generally it'll be slower if anything.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Moem wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 am Reading from a CD is always inherently slower than reading from a HD or even a USB drive.
It also means that OP is using the exact version of the browser that was placed into the .ISO, which could in theory cause some issues (lack of security, et cetera). Or else es has "installed" updates which - of course - means that they're all packed into es' computer RAM.

Best thing to do when using a "live" (it most certainly isn't :roll: - who coined that term, anyway?) version of a distro is to realize that you are running a "snapshot" of it, kind of frozen in time. Should be used, IMHO, to decide whether or not you like the distro and whether or not it'll run on your hardware (although even that might not be 100% since, again, you're using a frozen - and generic - version unless you install updates).

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
winxpwasgreat

Post by winxpwasgreat »

Moem wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:54 am Even a USB is generally slower than a HD. Are you using USB2 or 3?

What's your browser and how much RAM do you have? Since it's also present when using the installed system, it might not be a problem with the live USB at all.
Maybe it's just a ridiculously large website that tries to run tons of javascript. Do you use any add-ons to block ads and such?
.. not sure whether it's usb 2 or 3 but as I said, the os runs fine; it is only a very specific webpage which severely slows everything down when I run live usb xfce 18.3, and completely freezes the system (no reisub possible) when I run my native cinnamon 17.3.
The page is https://idex.market/guides and other users can access it with no issues.
Silver Surfer wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:57 am Hi winxpwasgreat,

Yes! I liked Win XP as well, pity they stopped supporting it.

I’m no expert, but as I understand it, Linux Live usb or live CD is only using your RAM, so is very limited in it’s ability to run the OS. The only way to make it better might be to install Linux on HD in a separate partition, or give up M$ as I did. Alternatively, buy a new HDD (they’re pretty cheap now), install linux on it, from your live USB, then keep your old drive in case you need anything on it.

Silver Surfer
It was such a great operative system. Stable, versatile, I could get everything I need done with it. So unfortunate that Microsoft stopped supporting even the most basic security side of it, yet many still use it.
I don't have microsoft on this machine, my native os is Cinnamon 17.3.
Hoser Rob wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:33 am Having Linux run slow from usb doesn't seem as puzzling to me, esp. if it does the same thing after installation (USB is a helluva lot sower than HD), , and it could get much less puzzling if you included some system details to see what's going on. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
If you were expecting a newer Mint version to run faster than the older one you use, don't. It happens but rarely. Generally it'll be slower if anything.

System: Host: winxpwasgreatHP-250-G4-Notebook-PC Kernel: 4.4.0-119-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Cinnamon (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 250 G4 Notebook PC v: Type1ProductConfigId
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 80C1 v: 96.38
Bios: Insyde v: F.19 date: 08/27/2015
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-5200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8779
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2546 MHz 2: 2592 MHz 3: 2304 MHz
4: 2295 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics bus-ID: 00:02.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.3hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.9 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-119-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 07:00.0
IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Broadcom BCM43142 802.11b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 0d:00.0
IF: wlan1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (33.5% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABF0 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 454G used: 153G (36%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.21GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 174 Uptime: 28 min Memory: 946.7/3866.8MB
Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.111) inxi: 2.2.28

It really sucks that newer linux versions tend to run slower. What is the point of improving them then?
Anyway, I repeat: it is not the whole thing which runs slow. Only a certain page (https://idex.market/guides) which currently crashes my native 17.3 cinnamon, and severely slows down when I live usb boot xfce 18.3.
MtnDewManiac wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 7:41 pm
Moem wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 am Reading from a CD is always inherently slower than reading from a HD or even a USB drive.
It also means that OP is using the exact version of the browser that was placed into the .ISO, which could in theory cause some issues (lack of security, et cetera). Or else es has "installed" updates which - of course - means that they're all packed into es' computer RAM.

Best thing to do when using a "live" (it most certainly isn't :roll: - who coined that term, anyway?) version of a distro is to realize that you are running a "snapshot" of it, kind of frozen in time. Should be used, IMHO, to decide whether or not you like the distro and whether or not it'll run on your hardware (although even that might not be 100% since, again, you're using a frozen - and generic - version unless you install updates).

Regards,
MDM
Yes I use the version of the browser placed on the .ISO, but being it 18.3 xfce (i.e. the latest) I would expect the version of firefox is recent and stable and no updates?
Yes indeed - I am using it to see whether it will work on my machine, and it is puzzling and disappointing to see that even from a frozen, generic and basic version I can't load a certain pagfe which other users of this forum have told me they could open easily.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

winxpwasgreat wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 8:40 pm... Yes I use the version of the browser placed on the .ISO, but being it 18.3 xfce (i.e. the latest) I would expect the version of firefox is recent and stable and no updates?....
Not if there was a firefox update since the iso was created, and there almost certainly was. They don't change the iso every time some package in it gets updated. No distro I know of does it any differently.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Xfce”