Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisuk

Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by chrisuk »

*waits for the "It doesn't mean anything" posts* ;)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Manjaro overtakes Mint in Distrowatch page-hit rankings

Post by Moem »

Do YOU think it means anything? If so, what? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
chrisuk

Post by chrisuk »

Moem wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:26 am Do YOU think it means anything? If so, what? I'm asking because I honestly don't know.
Of course it means something, but it doesn't mean Manjaro is better than Mint... or that Mint is better than Manjaro... competition is good - encourages all to keep on top of their game... discourages complacency.

What does it really mean? Years ago, when Mint was a new Distro, and Ubuntu was all anybody talked about, I'd guess that it meant everything to a small team of developers to see their new project climbing up the rankings... even though those rankings were "just a bit of fun". To well established/staffed/funded Distros like Mint and Manjaro are now, it probably means very little. However, to smaller Distros with limited development teams (and few donations) it's a bit of encouragement, not much more than that.

What does it mean to me? Not a lot.

(Remember, as soon as Mint 19 is released Mint will be at the top on the chart again.)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Maybe it just means that people have yet to discover the joys of Mint. Strangely enough, I haven't needed to look at anything else since installing Mint.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It probably means that a lot of people are apparently interested in knowing about Manjaro. I say good for them; it's not a zero sum game. If more people start using Manjaro, that doesn't mean that all these people would other otherwise be using Mint.
Even if it did, who cares? More userfriendly Linux options is a good thing and can only work to the advantage of Gnu/Linux as a whole.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this post is, by the way, but as a mod I must insist that people keep things friendly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yep - Manjaro is a nice system.
8)
and Manjaro uses a Rolling Release Development Model, whereby rather than being replaced,
the same core system will instead be continually updated and upgraded.
:)
used that for a while, just a few years ago.
then, eventually it crashed & I'd have to get an updated ISO to re-install it again.
- so it just got replaced with OpenSuse, but I'll go back to it some day, when the urge strikes again.
:mrgreen:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Chris is a long term Mint user and this doesn't feel like a troll post to me personally.
My gut feeling is that Mint is probably considerably more popular than Manjaro, and Ubuntu is considerably more popular than both of them combined.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

https://www.slant.co/versus/2706/18538/ ... linux-mint (Manjaro Linux vs Linux Mint - 2018)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

michael louwe wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:38 am https://www.slant.co/versus/2706/18538/ ... linux-mint (Manjaro Linux vs Linux Mint - 2018)
I think Mint deserves it's no. 1 spot for these specific questions.

https://www.slant.co/topics/5157/~linux ... -beginners
https://www.slant.co/topics/7127/~what- ... nux-distro
https://www.slant.co/topics/4309/~what- ... inted-with

I use Manjaro Cinnamon edition intermittently in a virtual machine. I do like it a lot but the amount of updates even after just a week or two of not firing it up is a bit scary. it would be my first choice after Mint..
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

For Mint 19, KDE will be dropped. Manjaro still uses KDE as a desktop environment. Mint KDE users want to find a distro with KDE. Hence, the increase in DistroWatch views.
asinoro
Level 6
Level 6

Post by asinoro »

Rolling releases are testing ones, which means there is the ground to test new kernels, apps and so on, it is good that many people use them, good for the progress.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

There is no need for battles.
So please discuss the subject instead of posting personal attacks.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
thread cleaned up by removing all overly personal / unfriendly posts.

capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

I don't care about the Distrowatch top 10 - just a counter for mouse clicks. That said, Manjaro could become big one day. I always want to know what all the fuss is about, so I have been installing and testing two community versions (Cinnamon and MATE) and one official version (KDE).

Long story short: if you want at least some chance of stability, go for one of the official flavors. The community versions proved to be buggy in many ways. Cinnamon for example crashed on day one, after the first updates. The Cinnamon version has some other small (yet annoying) problems too. If you want to rename a file on your desktop, the text becomes unreadable. Apparently there is no solution yet. The address bar of Firefox was also unreadable, but that could be fixed by playing around with other skins or schemes.

To a Mint user, the MATE version behaves a bit weird. Clicking Menu -> Category does not automatically show the underlying applications; instead you have to click on the category once more. Options to change that behavior are greyed out. Changing the theme results in an empty screen with two grey toolbars: one at the top and one at the bottom. There's no way back, you need to manually add things back, like a MATE start button. While I find this fun to explore, it would drive my 'customers' (mostly ex-Windows users) totally nuts.

The official KDE version works fine so far.

But let's be fair: Manjaro needs time to grow up; it's still in beta, as mentioned on their website: "Users may also have noticed that version numbers currently all begin with a zero. This is used to indicate to the public that Manjaro is currently still in a beta stage of testing and development, as it has not yet reached an officially stable first release."

Hans
All my computers are in Mint condition.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

To be fair Manjaro Cinnamon is on the first release of Cinnamon 3.8 right now which still has a few bugs being ironed out, the most obvious being crash on first login after a reboot. So thats not entirely Manjaros fault and will sort itself out in a week or two.

Edit to add: where did you see info about Manjaro still being in beta? It's been around for 7 years now and the version I installed about 6 months ago was 17.something. I think the last 0.something release was in 2015.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
capivara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by capivara »

smurphos wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:59 am To be fair Manjaro Cinnamon is on the first release of Cinnamon 3.8 right now which still has a few bugs being ironed out, the most obvious being crash on first login after a reboot. So thats not entirely Manjaros fault and will sort itself out in a week or two.
Well, then they didn't test it before pushing it to the user, did they? :wink:
Edit to add: where did you see info about Manjaro still being in beta? It's been around for 7 years now and the version I installed about 6 months ago was 17.something. I think the last 0.something release was in 2015.
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/The_ ... ment_Model

Go down the page. I'm new to Manjaro, so what you say about version numbers could well be right. If so, maintaining the website is not their forte.
Last edited by capivara on Mon May 07, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
All my computers are in Mint condition.
Miejer_Alied
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Miejer_Alied »

Last edited by Miejer_Alied on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

If you look at the year 2017, Mint's average hits per day was 2,757. If you look at the last 30 days, or last 3 months, or last 6 months, all those numbers are above 2,800. So Mint's numbers are actually rising (albeit very small). It's just that Manjaro's are rising exponentially. For free software, I'd say IMHO that these stats don't matter so much. However, if this were the cola or fast food wars . . . . . :wink:
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Miejer_Alied wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 am but I think that Manjaro is prone to bork itself by default

My personal experience of having run Manjaro for quite a while and over regular updates/upgrades including those to the kernel, gives me all the reasons to disagree completely with this assertion.
Truth be told, never once have I had issues with instability or crashes.

One of the problems that Arch users often have, because it is a rolling release, is a new package will be released and it will break their system. The Manjaro team works to avoid that by testing new packages before making them available to users. While this might make Manjaro slightly less than bleeding edge, it also ensures that you’ll get new packages a lot sooner than distros with scheduled releases like Ubuntu and Fedora.
https://itsfoss.com/why-use-manjaro-linux/
One of the many features that sets Manjaro apart from other Arch-based distributions is that it uses its own dedicated software branches, rather than relying on those provided by Arch itself. In fact, to ensure continued stability and reliability, Manjaro actually uses three distinct branches:

Stable branch: the packages that come to stable have gone through roughly a couple of weeks testing by the users of the Unstable/Testing repos, before they get the packages. These packages are usually free of any problems.

Testing branch: These users are the next line of defense. Being a larger number of users than those using Unstable, they refine the work done prior to them installing the packages with their feedback.

Unstable branch: which usually runs inside of 3 days behind Arch package releases & are modified as necessary to suit Manjaro. Those that use Unstable need to have the skills to get themselves out of trouble when they upgrade into it. They are the Manjaro users who are most likely to need to use such skills. Due to the feedback from the users of the Unstable repo, most bugs are found & fixed for the rest of Manjaro's users. Although the very latest software will be located here, using the unstable branch may consequently break your system!
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?titl ... positories
8)
DwightD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DwightD »

I have been running Manjaro for about 3 months now and have installed Cinnamon and Mate. My computer is a desktop (no laptop) and I have had NO lockups. Their system requires some learning time like all distros. I have changed most of the themes to satisfy my taste and all work fine.

So far, the updates, and there can be many each week or so, have never caused any problems on my machine. Manjaro seems to load a little slower than Mint on startup and running a terminal script for my genealogy is slower. All and all, I think Manjaro is very nice. Perhaps a laptop may be more troublesome??

I enjoy checking other distros to see if I am missing anything. Mint is a very refined system and I have not plans to move! Thanks Mint Team!

Return to “Chat about Linux”