(Solved) Setting up File Sharing on two LM 18.3 Computers.

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spud1200

(Solved) Setting up File Sharing on two LM 18.3 Computers.

Post by Spud1200 »

Hey, thanks for taking the time too read this.

I want too set up two or more LM 18.3 Cinnamon computers for simple file sharing under the Network Icon on the Desktop. I have selected too share my downloads folder on both my PC and set permissions too modify files and allow guest access.

I also installed Samba when requested as I could not of got that far with out doing so.

My problem is this.

I can not see my downloads folder in my networking folder on my desktop for both machines despite having my eth1 up. I am currently running the ufw on both machines so I'm not sure if that’s a problem.

Last time I posted about this it was for LM 17.3 so I'm not sure if I can use those particular setting that were valid for that version or if their has been changes; so I wanted too post on the forums too check with you gyes.

ANy help would be great as I want too use my other PCs as NAS on my Home Network.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
PhilippeH
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Setting up File Sharing on two LM 18.3 Computers.

Post by PhilippeH »

Hello. I encountered the same problem and found this solution to work fine with 2 computers under Linux Mint 18.3

viewtopic.php?f=157&t=185410#p960482
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Spud1200 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:55 pm I am currently running the ufw on both machines so I'm not sure if that’s a problem.
In addition to the link PhilippeH provided you will need to allow samba in through your firewall:

Code: Select all

sudo ufw allow Samba
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Spud1200

Post by Spud1200 »

Just wanted post and say thanks as I've got my two PCs up and running as NAS in the background for the extra storage when Downloading.

I'll post as solved.

Thanks.

Return to “Networking”