Tool bar panel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Thorny

Tool bar panel

Post by Thorny »

I have accidentally deleted the update icon (padlock) from the tool bar panel at the bottom of the screen, is there a way to un-delete the icon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pluraldave

Re: Tool bar panel

Post by pluraldave »

You've either removed the notification area or shut down mintUpdate.

To add the notification area right click the panel > add to panel

To turn mintUpdate back on just find it in the menu.
If it doesn't automatically start when you log in use the sessions dialogue (menu>preferences>sessions) to (re)add it to the startup list. If you've somehow deleted the mintUpdate entry from the sessions dialogue and need to add it back the command you will need to enter is

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py

*Assuming Linux Mint 6 Main edition.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Hi Pluraldave,

Thanks for replying to my post, I can confirm that Mint update is running and I have removed the notification area.
The problem I have is if I right click the panel then and add panels there is no padlock or update icon in the drop down list to select?
Yes I can confirm that I am using Mint 6 Main edition, incidentally this is the first time that I have done something that I have not been able to find the answer easily by searching these excellent forums.

Thanks,

Thorny
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

The padlock is a notifiation icon so (re)add the notification area. There is no other way to add the icon.

If you removed the notification area because it had too many icons in it then edit the individual preferences of the programs with the surplus icons.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Not really sure that I understand the instructions about editing the individual preferences of the programs with the surplus icons?
So I took the brutal approach and re-installed Mint, which is not such a big deal as it's probably the easiest system I have ever installed.
So thanks for your help,everything is now working okay, I'll just mark this down to my inexperience and be more a lot more careful in the future.

Thorny
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Do you understand how to add the notification area to the panel? I can't believe you reinstalled Mint because of it. Were my instructions that unclear? :?

Ignore the surpluss icons comment for now.
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

Yes, right click on panel, click add to panel, scroll down to notification area and click........ and nothing changed. So I guessed that I must have screwed up more than just turning the area off,it sounds a drastic solution but to me it was not that big a deal!

Return to “Beginner Questions”