Enter Password for Default Keyring to Unlock

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Enter Password for Default Keyring to Unlock

Post by Husse »

This is exactly what happens if you change username or password
Go to
Control Center > Passwords and Encryption keys > Edit > Preferences > Password keyrings
Then change to your new password
This is not changed when you change passwords and needs to be the same not to pop up like it does for you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ddalley
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ddalley »

I've never dealt with keyrings before using Linux.

Why do we even need/want them?
Husse

Post by Husse »

They are there to save you from having to enter your password for wifi at every connection - that's mostly what they do
It's done in some other way in Windows, but it has to be done :)
Husse

Post by Husse »

Sorry - my mistake it's not in Control Center
This is good to know
Just open the menu and key in something from the app you want to find - and viola!
Key in pas
and you find it
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

I had the "Enter Password for Default Keyring to Unlock" problem too, solved thanks to this thread!

Cool, thanks.
smac

Post by smac »

I'm new(ish) to Linux and new to Mint so have been doing quite a bit of reading on this topic. The common theme to the solutions being provided is that people have changed their password. I have not, yet am still prompted for the keyring password on each boot. The keyring password already matched my account log in password but I changed it (to the same one) again just in case - still prompted for it.

So, what is happening is that the keyring is not unlocked at log-in, even though the keyring password matches my account password.

Now, in another forum it is stated that the Passwords and Encryption Keys/Edit/Preferences/ page should feature an option to select "Unlock at log in" (or some similar wording). It does not. THAT seems to be the problem - it's not that the keyring isn't unlocked at log-in, there's actually no way of telling it to. Without it the only solution I have found is leaving the keyring password blank.

This doesn't actually bother me overly as far as security is concerned, but I just hate stuff that doesn't work as it should.
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Try changing the keyring password to a blank password?
smac

Post by smac »

Yep, my third paragraph, last line 8) Although I realise you may have nodded off by then!

My issue is that this is a work around, not a solution. There is no point in providing this feature in Mint if it doesn't work....may as well just have the network manager remember the password and auto connect.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ smac
The keyring is part of gnome
The option you say does not exist is found in Edit > Preferences
That will open a box and you'll find two keyrings there - default and login, and that's the one
(Provided you are on gnome - I'm not sure how it looks in the other DEs we have)
smac

Post by smac »

Here's a shot of what I'm looking at in edit/preferences......what am I missing??

Husse

Post by Husse »

They say an image tells more than a thousand words - indeed :)
You are missing the login keyring
You could try to create a new keyring - call it login (all lower case) and set the password to that of your account
I don't know is if this keyring will act as the one created by the system when you install or just sit there useless but it can't hurt
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

smac wrote:Yep, my third paragraph, last line 8) Although I realise you may have nodded off by then!
:oops:
smac

Post by smac »

Okaay, so I've added the 'login' entry. You say it was added during installation but I didn't remove anything.....

Anyway, so now I have:

As you can see at the bottom it is set to use the login entry for applications, and the login entry has the text about opening on login.

Yet when I reboot the network manager still requests access via the default key, it does not appear to be using the login one (which in theory is already unlocked).
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have to think about this
I don't know if the order the keyrings appear means anything
smac

Post by smac »

DOn't know for sure, but I don't think it's order because if I delete the default key Network Manager still asks to access the default key....
Husse

Post by Husse »

smac wrote:DOn't know for sure, but I don't think it's order because if I delete the default key Network Manager still asks to access the default key....
That solves it then
For some reason the login key was not created during install so the default was used and it is not unlocked at login
So we have to find a way to use a keyring that is unlocked at login - the login keyring :)
So the problem for you is to get NM to use the right keyring - but how
I have to investigate and come back to you - I was not able to connect to the forums yesterday but others were so I have a lot to catch up on
Husse

Post by Husse »

What happens if you delete the login keyring too so you don't have a keyring?
I think you will be asked to pass on your passphrase for wifi again as it was deleted with he keyring and then to create a keyring This might solve it - I don't want to try as my wifi works beautifully
smac

Post by smac »

I end up back at square one. As you would expect I have to re-enter the wi-fi password, it then prompts to create a key (default) which is then not set to unlock at log in, and there doesn't seem to be any way of making it do so.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Unfortunately my knowledge does not include a way to tell NM which keyring to use
Maybe you should try the "no keyring password option" (see above)
smac

Post by smac »

Ya as I said I've tried that and it's fine.....but it defeats the entire purpose of having the keyring.

My point is this function isn't working as intended. Either there needs to be a way of telling NM which key to use, or, there needs to be a way of changing the default key to unlock at logon. One or the other, otherwise there's no point in having it (because people will just set the password to blank...).

Return to “Networking”