Level 3 Update [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Level 3 Update [Solved]

Post by Andow »

Hi I'm a newbie. I have 79 level 3 updates waiting 2/3rd software 1/3rd security updates is it safe to install them. I looked at the descriptions of some of them, didn't really understand significance of them. So should I install them? :roll: Thank you for your time and advice.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Moem »

Yes, level 3 updates should always be installed. And security updates of any level should always be installed too.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you are on an Limited Internet Connection,,
then you Could neglect any Level Three Updates
:o

this is something, that I've done in the past, in order to conserve my Monthly Internet Allowance,
but, as these allowances do tend to increase over time, then I've recently started to Allow Them Again.
8)

NB: you should Always Allow any Level One & Two updates, as a matter of course.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Which kernel and which architecture? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

Code: Select all

inxi -Szxx
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

Without knowing the MInt version a precise answer cannot be given. The definition of the levels have changed between versions.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Cosmo. wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:45 am What is your version of Mint and what is the desktop environment? Which kernel and which architecture? If you don't know open a terminal and enter:

inxi -Szxx
Paste the output here.

You need to give this information for every help request in every thread.
Do not forget this in the future.

Without knowing the MInt version a precise answer cannot be given. The definition of the levels have changed between versions.
[Will do]
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you still need to give the result of

inxi -Szxx
and not just Quote what Cosmo has asked . . .
- do you know how to use Terminal - in your LinuxMint System ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Depending on your internet connection and hardware, installing several too large packages or packages at too many levels at once, can gum up. My normal routine which has never borked, is:

Level 1 - install and reboot the PC - often Level 1 updates will change the lower level lists.
Level 2 and 3 - Uncheck any very large (e.g. browsers, LibreOffice, etc) packages, or check off many small packages in limited batches, to install separately and then reboot.

UPDATED 190615 - replacing M17.x (32 bit) with M18.3 and M19.1 (both 64 bit)

Levels 4 and 5 - after discontinuing Level 4 and 5 to avoid Meltdown / Spectre patch panic on M17.x, have resumed updating all Levels. Generally I update Levels 4/5 first and reboot before refreshing and checking the higher Level updates again.
Last edited by I2k4 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:06 am you still need to give the result of

inxi -Szxx
and not just Quote what Cosmo has asked . . .
- do you know how to use Terminal - in your LinuxMint System ?.
I think the OP tried to mark the thread as Solved, but instead of adding it to the title, it's been added at the beginning of the first sentence. A moderator may have to make the necessary correction there.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Andow added [solved] on April 30th without bothering to mention which of the different pieces of advice he had followed. Therefore the label "[Solved]" will not be particularly helpful to anyone else. :(
Hence let me clarify that the most sensible piece of advice had been given by Moem. post #2
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Solved Re: Level 3 Update

Post by Andow »

Moem wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 am Yes, level 3 updates should always be installed. And security updates of any level should always be installed too.
Thing are working much better with level 3 update Thank you Moem.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Moem wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 am Yes, level 3 updates should always be installed. And security updates of any level should always be installed too.
I've been having problems with update manager, something isn't right, was locked out for OS for 9 months. I found the problem 2 weeks ago it was broken package and the grub needed updating, that's fine now. But seem to have the old problem back, old update manager needs updating but it can't do it. All I know it said there is 500+ update packages there waiting ?
Regards Andow
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Level 3 Update [Solved]

Post by Moem »

What is the error message you are getting?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

The update manager request to be updated, when I refresh, it remains empty, yet I’m seriously outdated. How can I update if update manager is broken.
Thank you Andow
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Level 3 Update [Solved]

Post by Moem »

The discussion about the update manager not working is continued here.

Return to “Beginner Questions”