How about having a subforum dedicated to security/malware related issues?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sir Charles

How about having a subforum dedicated to security/malware related issues?

Post by Sir Charles »

Hello all

Each and everyone of us comes across articles etc. about the malwares, security issues and so on on a daily basis around the www. Just a couple of days ago, the founding of a malware in some snap apps was reported by a forum member. Today, I came across the following article This malware is harvesting saved credentials in Chrome, Firefox browsers in ZDNet. I am sure many of you out there come across similar issues everyday. So I thought maybe having a dedicated subforum for reporting of the security related issues would be of great help to gather all this information in a separate and easily overview-able place in the forums. Please give your thoughts on this if you feel like to.

greetings

Marziano
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How about having a subforum dedicated to security/malware related issues?

Post by Pjotr »

Nah. Such a subforum might create a playground for all kinds of tin-foil hatters.... :wink:

By the way, from that ZDnet article you quote:
Vega Stealer is a variant of August Stealer. Written in .NET,
If I'm not mistaking, that precludes all relevance for Linux Mint machines. :wink:
Last edited by Pjotr on Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 am Nah. Such a subforum might create room for all kinds of tin-foil hatters.... :wink:

If I'm not mistaking, that precludes all relevance for Linux Mint machines. :wink:
It may well run under mono.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

catweazel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:14 am
Pjotr wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 am Nah. Such a subforum might create room for all kinds of tin-foil hatters.... :wink:

It may well run under mono.
Thanks for this correction.... Well, I always remove the Mono infrastructure from my Linux Mint machines. Standard procedure. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:16 am Thanks for this correction.... Well, I always remove the Mono infrastructure from my Linux Mint machines. Standard procedure. :mrgreen:
It's not a correction, just a helping hand :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:08 am So I thought maybe having a dedicated subforum for reporting of the security related issues would be of great help to gather all this information in a separate and easily overview-able place in the forums.

Why not one for fstab? The kernel, ACPI, Bluetooth, VPNs, sudo, ln, ls, cd, rm, init.d, xmodmap, apt...
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 am Nah. Such a subforum might create a playground for all kinds of tin-foil hatters.... :wink:
You are right, it might. But on the other hand some legitimate cases worth reporting and discussing can go unnoticed. And I think, it could even be OS-agnostic, since many of us, still uses different OS:s and are active only on this forum.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

The email contains an attachment called "brief.doc" in which malicious macros download the Vega Stealer payload.
that seems to imply that it is more orientated towards the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
:lol:

it is also quite unlikely, that an extra sub-forum would be created, for this Topic, anyway.
:)
principally because this Malware is more more orientated towards the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

catweazel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 am Why not one for fstab? The kernel, ACPI, Bluetooth, VPNs, sudo, ln, ls, cd, rm, init.d, xmodmap, apt...
Yeah, why not? well, simple. There are already subforums dedicated to issues related to most of the things you mention. Well, maybe not for all the command lines, of course.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 am
The email contains an attachment called "brief.doc" in which malicious macros download the Vega Stealer payload.
that seems to imply that it is more orientated towards the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
:lol:

it is also quite unlikely, that an extra sub-forum would be created, for this Topic, anyway.
:)
principally because this Malware is more more orientated towards the Microsoft Windows Operating System.
As I wrote, in the post above yours, the subforum could be OS-agnostic. And why? Because many of us still dual-boot or triple-boot with Windows on some partition and maybe are active only through this forum. So why not get a head-up even for security issues related to MS Windows. We do discuss and offer help to dual-boot with Windows.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Marziano wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:36 am
catweazel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:27 am Why not one for fstab? The kernel, ACPI, Bluetooth, VPNs, sudo, ln, ls, cd, rm, init.d, xmodmap, apt...
Yeah, why not? well, simple. There are already subforums dedicated to issues related to most of the things you mention. Well, maybe not for all the command lines, of course.
The point is, you want to 'gather all this information in a separate and easily overview-able place in the forums' but the forums are notoriously difficult to search, and many people don't seem to browse, let alone search, the forums before asking for help with an issue. I don't see how a dedicated forum will help.

From your other post:

"the subforum could be OS-agnostic..."

Oh, good grief. Why don't we all just join Stack Overflow?

Seriously, how many Windwoes questions actually get answered here? How many of us care enough to think back to a time we ran Windwoes as a serious OS?

"So why not get a head-up even for security issues related to MS Windows. We do discuss and offer help to dual-boot with Windows."

Yes, and why don't we support Arch, openSUSE and all the others while we're at it?

<puts on tinfoil hat>
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 am Nah. Such a subforum might create a playground for all kinds of tin-foil hatters.... :wink:
I've got mine on...
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

catweazel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 am Yes, and why don't we support Arch, openSUSE and all the others while we're at it?

<puts on tinfoil hat>
Yes, I can't see why not for those who are interested in running other OS:s and are willing to discuss and offer help. There could be a subforum for "Other OS:s" for both Linux based and otherwise.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Marziano wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am Yes, I can't see why not for those who are interested in running other OS:s and are willing to discuss and offer help. There could be a subforum for "Other OS:s" for both Linux based and otherwise.
and it's currently called "Chat about Linux"
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Pierre wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 am and it's currently called "Chat about Linux"
8)
Sure, but something more along the: "Other OS Support". Not "Chat about Linux " with the subtitle: "Chat about Linux in general"
Faust

Post by Faust »

It's a good idea , and I've sometimes thought the same thing myself .
I spend a fair deal of time on such issues and I always enjoy discussions with like-minded folk ,
but I really don't think it would work well on this forum , for these reasons -

a] there are already a few good forums with these matters as their main focus
b] there really isn't much " in the wild " malware around as far as GNU/Linux is concerned ,
and it wouldn't be specific to Mint anyway .
c] as mentioned in an earlier post ,it looks like many visitors here do not make good use of the "Search" feature ,
and without that , such a subforum may simply not get noticed , and will probably sink down out of sight ,
( at least on the "Active topics" page )

Just my two kopecks worth ..... :)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Faust wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 am ....
Just my two kopecks worth ..... :)
Taking your time to reply and to shed light on the subject from different angles is worth a whole lot.
Thank you!

PS. The above goes for all the respondents.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Marziano wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:59 am
catweazel wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:52 am Yes, and why don't we support Arch, openSUSE and all the others while we're at it?

<puts on tinfoil hat>
Yes, I can't see why not for those who are interested in running other OS:s and are willing to discuss and offer help. There could be a subforum for "Other OS:s" for both Linux based and otherwise.
I think that's a no-go. We're a Mint forum and not a general computing forum. Sorry, but I don't think this idea has legs, so to speak.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Moem wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 8:31 am Sorry, but I don't think this idea has legs, so to speak.
Yeah, I am beginning to realize that. It is already sitting on a wheel chair :wink:
But does it have to do with the idea itself? I know of other Linux OS forums having this kind of subforum, for supporting other OS:s, I mean. Ubuntu Forums has one.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The 'security' aspect has been shot down before, and the 'different OSses' part is simply against forum policy as it currently exists.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Open Chat”