File system corrupted for no obvious reason [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
confusious

File system corrupted for no obvious reason [SOLVED]

Post by confusious »

I went to use my computer today and a lot of programs just had error's. I tried to list my backups from Timeshift and all I got were errors and I don't know if significant but all errors stated read-only file. I have been able to list my backups previously. Firefox and Chromium just spun a while and the programs just wouldn't come on. Internet worked but my vpn wouldn't turn on. Well something said to turn computer off and on again and I did. Now when coming on I get the screen where I chose linux mint in the menu. The logon freezes on a screen BusyBox v1.22.1, built-in-shell (initramfs) __ . What does this sound like to you? I have no idea except something became corrupt.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Programs not Running Right

Post by pbear »

Could be a couple things. Happily, the most likely is also the easiest to fix. What you want to try first is fsck (file system check). For this you need a live USB or DVD. The one you used for installation would be great but any live ISO will work. Main thing is you run fsck from "outside" the system being checked.

So, boot live session. Open Terminal. Type in fsck -yv /dev/sda1, assuming you have a single boot BIOS machine. If you have UEFI or multi-boot, replace sda1 with the correct ID of your root partition. If you're not sure what it is, open GParted and it will be listed there.

After running fsck, shut down live session, remove USB or DVD, and try booting your main system again. Let us know how it goes.
confusious

Post by confusious »

I tried running fsck and it tells me 'permission denied while trying to open /dev/sda1 You must have r/w access to the filesystem or be root. I checked with g-parted and it appears to be the correct partition. Same thing it told me when I tried to use timestamp to get a list of my backups which are on a different partition. I'll try anything. My computer won't even open.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

My bad. I copy-and-pasted the command incorrectly, leaving out sudo. Try again with sudo fsck -yv /dev/sda1.

By the way, in a live session, sudo commands go straight through without having to enter a password.
confusious

Post by confusious »

pbear wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 7:15 pm My bad. I copy-and-pasted the command incorrectly, leaving out sudo. Try again with sudo fsck -yv /dev/sda1.
Thank-you. This fixed worked GREAT. System runs just as it should. I see 'fsck' command repairs the file system. I'm so glad I didn't end up installing Mint again. You saved me a lot of work!
Last edited by karlchen on Mon May 21, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added missing quote end tag [/quote]
confusious

Post by confusious »

pbear wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 pm Could be a couple things. Happily, the most likely is also the easiest to fix. What you want to try first is fsck (file system check). For this you need a live USB or DVD. The one you used for installation would be great but any live ISO will work. Main thing is you run fsck from "outside" the system being checked.

So, boot live session. Open Terminal. Type in fsck -yv /dev/sda1, assuming you have a single boot BIOS machine. If you have UEFI or multi-boot, replace sda1 with the correct ID of your root partition. If you're not sure what it is, open GParted and it will be listed there.

After running fsck, shut down live session, remove USB or DVD, and try booting your main system again. Let us know how it goes.
Everything was working fine for about 10 minutes and now again Chromium and firefox will not work. All my pictures say error with thumbnails. My vpn won't work, dropbox says an error. I would say something is corrupting my file system. It says again to turn off computer which I will do but I have a feeling it won't start back up as before. I will attempt earlier command but at this time does not seem a permanant solution.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Don't think I've seen a similar report previously, so no idea what might be causing the problem. Run fsck again, of course. After reboot, let sit for fifteen minutes doing literally nothing - don't even touch the keyboard or mouse. If still running without error, try the following tasks, in this order. Open Terminal and run inxi -Fxz; leave Terminal open with output on screen. Open File Manager; click on a few folders in the left navigation pane, say Documents and Pictures; open a picture. If you're still running, open Firefox, hustle to this thread and post the inxi output, so we have that for reference.

If the system corrupts again somewhere along the way, come back to the thread however you have been so far. Describe what has happened since your last post. Then edit the thread title in your first post (that's the one indexed on the main page) to something like "File System repeatedly corrupted for no obvious reason". That's more descriptive and hopefully will bring in someone who either recognizes the problem or is able to help diagnose it.

Sorry can't be more help. Good luck.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I am very interested in this problem since a girlfriend of mine ran into exactly similar problems yesterday. She mentioned that the problems started after Firefox refused to start up correctly. Since the forummember above also mentions issues with firefox I suggest looking into problems with this software after a recent software update.

This is a link I found with a possible simple solution if updates are the problem that causes busybox to appear: https://prognotes.net/2018/04/linux-min ... t-at-boot/
confusious

Re: File system corrupted for no obvious reason

Post by confusious »

Its very strange. Nothing works. For instance I opened wireshark and got a message "Can't create directory. Read only file system" I can't open my browsers to post the inxi results to this forum. Nothing opens without some kind of error anyway.
confusious

Post by confusious »

newbie serena wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 4:54 pm I am very interested in this problem since a girlfriend of mine ran into exactly similar problems yesterday. She mentioned that the problems started after Firefox refused to start up correctly. Since the forummember above also mentions issues with firefox I suggest looking into problems with this software after a recent software update.

This is a link I found with a possible simple solution if updates are the problem that causes busybox to appear: https://prognotes.net/2018/04/linux-min ... t-at-boot/
Thank-you. I will be trying this later tonight and let you know how it goes before I re-install mint which I'm not to happy about. As much as I like the feel of linux, I'm finding Mint to be much more problematic.

Thank-you Pbear.
carum carvi

Re: File system corrupted for no obvious reason

Post by carum carvi »

I succeeded in helping my girlfriend with the tips described in the link that I posted. That link generally described the same tips as the other forummember in this thread already had explained. Fortunately I didnt have to do a new install. Good luck.
confusious

Post by confusious »

carum carvi wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 2:22 am I succeeded in helping my girlfriend with the tips described in the link that I posted. That link generally described the same tips as the other forummember in this thread already had explained. Fortunately I didnt have to do a new install. Good luck.
pbear wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 11:27 pm Could be a couple things. Happily, the most likely is also the easiest to fix. What you want to try first is fsck (file system check). For this you need a live USB or DVD. The one you used for installation would be great but any live ISO will work. Main thing is you run fsck from "outside" the system being checked.

Sorry I didn't get back. I found a couple threads I had just left hanging so I am completing them like a good boy.

Ok. That "fsck" command you gave me does what exactly? I know it has something to do with checking the disk for errors. It's funny how you brought that up but I discovered the problem which had led to many of my threads in this forum. My drive had bad sectors which got worst with time. 1 sign of corrupt drive are problems booting. Another sign which I missed are corrupt files. Any system unstablility could be the cause of a corrupt drive. I hope this helps someone! All disks eventually get corrupt. I was getting so frustrated I was considering giving up on linux and began thinking some paranoid thoughts with all the problems I was having, some large and many smaller unexplained issues.

Return to “Beginner Questions”