How much more powerful cpu will be required for LM 19?

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

How much more powerful cpu will be required for LM 19?

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hello,
I know that LM 19 isnt out yet. And this is a rather vague question.I have an AMD a8 7410 processor. So will I require a newer processor to run LM 19? Or the answer will be know only after installing and trying LM 19?

Installing LM brings me to another topic i.e.can I backup up only the applications with Backintime now on Cinnamon 18.3 and restore only the applications when LM 19 is cleanly installed?

TYAIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Ozo

Re: How much more powerful cpu will be required for LM 19?

Post by Ozo »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 pm Hello,
I know that LM 19 isnt out yet. And this is a rather vague question.I have an AMD a8 7401 processor. So will I require a newer processor to run LM 19? Or the answer will be know only after installing and trying LM 19?

Installing LM brings me to another topic i.e.can I backup up only the applications with Backintime now on Cinnamon 18.3 and restore only the applications when LM 19 is cleanly installed?

TYAIA
Don't you mean A8 7410?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Ozo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:24 pm

Don't you mean A8 7410?
That's correct . Thank you. Corrected
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

My usage is browsing, compile and execute java c c++ programs and miniscule Libre office work, using pdfs
Regards,
Deepak

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

If you notice even the slightest difference in performance after the install I will eat a mint leaf. :)
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Ozo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm If you notice even the slightest difference in performance after the install I will eat a mint leaf. :)
In that case my hardware is good for another 5 years till 2023 running Mint 19. Heads you win tails I lose. After all Mint leaves are tasty. :)
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

For Ubuntu 18 the minimum requirements are

Ubuntu Desktop Edition
2 GHz dual core processor
2 GiB RAM (system memory)
25 GB of hard-drive space (or USB stick, memory card or external drive but see LiveCD for an alternative approach)
VGA capable of 1024x768 screen resolution
Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
Internet access is helpful

My specs are well above these.
Regards,
Deepak

Ozo

Post by Ozo »

If you are satisfied with your current performance, great but if you wish to make it more snappy then you can address any bottlenecks. For example, an ssd is a significant improvement over a spinning disc type drive. Otherwise just enjoy your system as is. :)

If you are just bored with your machine a new paint job would help. That is what I did using a theme and now I am waiting for 19 to perhaps spice things up even more.
Last edited by Ozo on Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

As long as your hardware plays nice with the 4.15 kernel you'll be fine. Why not test with a live session of xubuntu 18.04 or something to give yourself early warning of any potential issues?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

smurphos wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am As long as your hardware plays nice with the 4.15 kernel you'll be fine. Why not test with a live session of xubuntu 18.04 or something to give yourself early warning of any potential issues?
That's exactly what I'd do.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Faust

Post by Faust »

smurphos wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 am As long as your hardware plays nice with the 4.15 kernel you'll be fine. Why not test with a live session of xubuntu 18.04 or something to give yourself early warning of any potential issues?
I've just tried that , and it is stunningly good !
OK - higher spec hardware here ( i5 8GB blah blah ) but it bodes very well for Mint 19 :D
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:42 am
That's exactly what I'd do.
Thank you. It will run off a USB drive, it won't have all the compilers and environments like eclipse, so there won't be any realistic comparison. It's just a matter of a month, I will install it on the HDD when Mint 19 is announced, then take it for a ride.
Regards,
Deepak

deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Ozo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 am If you are satisfied with your current performance, great but if you wish to make it more snappy then you can address any bottlenecks. For example, an ssd is a significant improvement over a spinning disc type drive. Otherwise just enjoy your system as is. :)

If you are just bored with your machine a new paint job would help. That is what I did using a theme and now I am waiting for 19 to perhaps spice things up even more.
Excellent ideas both. But I don't have the budget for any tweaking right now. And I believe that postpone the purchase as much as I can, and I will get more bang for my buck as I purchase it as late as possible.

New paint job is what I will job and will change the theme and have a different look and feel
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Hardware Support”