Boring Mint??

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Boring Mint??

Post by Arch_Enemy »

kenetics wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 am If you are bored with Mint, try installing LInux From Scratch or "Go nuts with NuTyX". :)
Linux From Scratch. The OS that's never really finished.

I tried it once. After $6500 in psychiatrist bills and $25,000 bar tabs I found Mint :lol:
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

if you think linux mint is boring open .xsession-errors and try to fix these issues, the one user that can boot a desktop with the least errors wins linux.
andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

I used to love Windows 3.11 as it was so much fun to set up. Everything had to be downloaded and installed separately, totally unlike linux with easy hardware setup and software repositories. LinuxMint is actually great, but I do miss all the manual installations, having to configure hardware and fix problems. Weirdly the people who would probably benefit from linux the most seem to be the ones that use windows.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

andersau wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 am I used to love Windows 3.11 as it was so much fun to set up. Everything had to be downloaded and installed separately, totally unlike linux with easy hardware setup and software repositories. LinuxMint is actually great, but I do miss all the manual installations, having to configure hardware and fix problems. Weirdly the people who would probably benefit from linux the most seem to be the ones that use windows.
Windows 3.11? Seems I just remember feeding floppy after floppy to a hungry drive until it finally rebooted one last time. At least '95 had the option of a CD!

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

last yesterday my unboring arch linux broke when an update to xorg-server killed the computer made it nonbootable. tried to chroot into it with a live arch but i had no idea what to look at and the last update log had a lot of packages. scoping the arch linux forum for symptoms as mine soon found out that xorg was needed to be downgraded till a fix can make. so i downgraded xorg-server but it didn't ask for xorg-server-common dependency and i wasn't thinking
my arch has been alive since 2016 a build of Midfingr who died last year RIP and now thanx to linux mint Timeshift and so thankfull i created a snapshot of my arch, i can restore it which i did and wait for the cured packages. even though my arch was restored only one month before it is amazing how much can change in a single month with upgrades in excess of 2 gb

so THANK YOU , Linux Mint Team for making this a boring distribution .
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

trytip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am last yesterday my unboring arch linux broke when an update to xorg-server killed the computer made it nonbootable. tried to chroot into it with a live arch but i had no idea what to look at and the last update log had a lot of packages. scoping the arch linux forum for symptoms as mine soon found out that xorg was needed to be downgraded till a fix can make. so i downgraded xorg-server but it didn't ask for xorg-server-common dependency and i wasn't thinking
my arch has been alive since 2016 a build of Midfingr who died last year RIP and now thanx to linux mint Timeshift and so thankfull i created a snapshot of my arch, i can restore it which i did and wait for the cured packages. even though my arch was restored only one month before it is amazing how much can change in a single month with upgrades in excess of 2 gb

Are your sure that wasn't Windows? LOL
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I like boring, boring is good, because you do not have to keep repairing things to make them work. There is no crashing, no bloatware, no spyware, and it just works! Mint is right for me.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

I spend too much time experimenting & messing with stuff to get bored.

Had some fun fixing various (usually man-made) faults, including rebuilding the x server & reinstalling loads of system components on my Acer, after a run-in with the Virtualbox updater. :roll: .. another GUI lockout caused by forgetting to make a startup script executable :oops:. Next project is to convert a 32-bit system to hybrid, really should use a clone for this one. :!:
Always plenty to do ...

If you get bored with not having to fix things, try Suicide Linux :mrgreen:
andersau wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:26 am I used to love Windows 3.11 as it was so much fun to set up. Everything had to be downloaded and installed separately, totally unlike linux with easy hardware setup and software repositories.
I've got a Virtual Machine Win3.11 installation, talk about blast from the past!
Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 pm Windows 3.11? Seems I just remember feeding floppy after floppy to a hungry drive until it finally rebooted one last time. At least '95 had the option of a CD!
The disk set I have is Win3.1 and about 11 disks (will have to dig the disk box out), I expect 3.11 would need more. Not as bad as the 30 or so for Win95 though! Not good if the machine had no optical drive.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

lsemmens wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:21 am Are your sure that wasn't Windows? LOL
here's a snap of Timeshift recover of my Arch kernel 4.16.9 Linux using Linux Mint Mate 17.3 (since mint is running the boot loader i have to edit the grub.cfg to boot arch)

of course the above wouldn't be relevant if not followed by this !

:mrgreen:
Last edited by trytip on Sat May 19, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

trytip wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:33 am last yesterday my unboring arch linux broke when an update to xorg-server killed the computer made it nonbootable. tried to chroot into it with a live arch but i had no idea what to look at and the last update log had a lot of packages. scoping the arch linux forum for symptoms as mine soon found out that xorg was needed to be downgraded till a fix can make. so i downgraded xorg-server but it didn't ask for xorg-server-common dependency and i wasn't thinking

Well, I was going to make an Arch post added onto one of my other posts, but this is just as good lace to do it:

The Old Arch Way prevails again. Seems the boys over there, in their rush to get the latest and greatest out to their followers decided it would be a good time to upgrade one of the GLIB libraries, removing one of the functions and borking a whole lot of software. MAYBE if you managed to compile it before the SNAFU it might still work for you, but if you use one of the 10,386 packages that rely on the library, Rotsa Ruck, Charrie!

They'll get around to fixing it, I'm sure...after they get done calling the people reporting it "n00bs" and, "If you can't fix it, why don't you go to Ubuntu?" comments.

:lol:

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

BG405 wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 12:01 pm I spend too much time experimenting & messing with stuff to get bored.

Had some fun fixing various (usually man-made) faults, including rebuilding the x server & reinstalling loads of system components on my Acer, after a run-in with the Virtualbox updater. :roll: .. another GUI lockout caused by forgetting to make a startup script executable :oops:. Next project is to convert a 32-bit system to hybrid, really should use a clone for this one. :!:
Always plenty to do ...

If you get bored with not having to fix things, try Suicide Linux :mrgreen:
BWAHAHAHAHA! :lol: OOPS...CAPS LO.....................

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Well, I was going to make an Arch post added onto one of my other posts, but this is just as good lace to do it:

The Old Arch Way prevails again. Seems the boys over there, in their rush to get the latest and greatest out to their followers decided it would be a good time to upgrade one of the GLIB libraries, removing one of the functions and borking a whole lot of software. MAYBE if you managed to compile it before the SNAFU it might still work for you, but if you use one of the 10,386 packages that rely on the library, Rotsa Ruck, Charrie!

They'll get around to fixing it, I'm sure...after they get done calling the people reporting it "n00bs" and, "If you can't fix it, why don't you go to Ubuntu?" comments.

Forgive my ignorance but why does Arch Linux and Arch users have a ..."problematic" reputation? It almost seems like the Arch crew have the same sort of reputation that turned me off years ago, the "RTFM crew". Arch does seem to have a steep learning curve, and there also seems to be little love between the Arch crew and the Manjaro crew. Maybe it is good that I came to Mint instead of Arch when I was getting back into linux.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm
Arch_Enemy wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:45 pm

Forgive my ignorance but why does Arch Linux and Arch users have a ..."problematic" reputation? It almost seems like the Arch crew have the same sort of reputation that turned me off years ago, the "RTFM crew". Arch does seem to have a steep learning curve, and there also seems to be little love between the Arch crew and the Manjaro crew. Maybe it is good that I came to Mint instead of Arch when I was getting back into linux.
elite diehard arch linux superusers think that they are much smart very. i too am so very pretty also, but i'm a boy in late manhood so i have no clue why arch linux people think their toilet don't stink after dropping one. i actually got my username banned from the arch linux forums because i took on the same very subject up with the one and only Anarchist *pukes in mouth a little, then almost gags* and told him he's no Anarchist and to please take that stick out his you know what.

anytime someone needs help most arch mods throw you a link to wiki, i mean why even have a damm forum if the answer to all your questions are already written down in a manual.
oh and don't even try to follow an older wiki that doesn't work because some package was updated with new protocols and the arch wiki page wasn't and then you go about your day and week thinking everything is peachy when all of the sudden something decides to snap leaving you non-bootable and you gotta fire up linux mint to the rescue.

don't misunderstand, i too get snippy and impatient and by all means i'm not even 5% elite , and most arch linux users are friendly and inviting.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:32 pm Forgive my ignorance but why does Arch Linux and Arch users have a ..."problematic" reputation? It almost seems like the Arch crew have the same sort of reputation that turned me off years ago, the "RTFM crew". Arch does seem to have a steep learning curve, and there also seems to be little love between the Arch crew and the Manjaro crew. Maybe it is good that I came to Mint instead of Arch when I was getting back into linux.
Because they are fairly intolerant of anyone who asks less than expert questions. They are largely arrogant and rude. I have been using Arch for about 9 years before finally giving up and moving to Mint because I needed stability. Very few of my few questions or comments were met with any form of kindness at all.

It is also a "rolling release", and even though I chose to install from the "stable branch", such as it is, in the rush to get the freshest software out there they sent out a C library missing something. So, now, some software won't install because of a missing dependency, even though you have the dependency installed. Does this happen in other distributions? Sure. Even in Mint. But far less in Mint because things get tested for stability before being released.

MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am
Because they are fairly intolerant of anyone who asks less than expert questions. They are largely arrogant and rude. I have been using Arch for about 9 years before finally giving up and moving to Mint because I needed stability. Very few of my few questions or comments were met with any form of kindness at all.

It is also a "rolling release", and even though I chose to install from the "stable branch", such as it is, in the rush to get the freshest software out there they sent out a C library missing something. So, now, some software won't install because of a missing dependency, even though you have the dependency installed. Does this happen in other distributions? Sure. Even in Mint. But far less in Mint because things get tested for stability before being released.
Thanks, I was just wondering why Arch users seem to have that "L33t" mindset, that I found so off-putting back in the day. To a large extent they remind me of the Debian zealots back in 1999-2000. I tried Manjaro, and just could not come to like it compared to Mint. Mint just works.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

MurphCID wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:24 am
Arch_Enemy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks, I was just wondering why Arch users seem to have that "L33t" mindset, that I found so off-putting back in the day. To a large extent they remind me of the Debian zealots back in 1999-2000. I tried Manjaro, and just could not come to like it compared to Mint. Mint just works.
There are two reasons I play with Arch: First, you can tweak anything. If you're looking for a package, chances are there is a PKGBUILD out there somewhere, and you can edit it to suit your needs. You can build and install from a TARBALL just like any other. The second, and I'm sure I could do this with Mint as well, is the amount of packages there are for GIMP. In the AUR repository, there is a plethora of plugins and filters.

However, on this go-round, it seems that some changes have disabled some of these plugins, and unless someone wants to take on the task, they will stay borked.

I DID get my other program to compile, by going into USR and copying and pasting the required libraries where needed. The old library had them where needed, the new library dumped them in specific locations off the "path", so to say...

But, that's another reason to run Arch...I love a challenge. And since I am not a programmer, it sure is!

lexon

Post by lexon »

Boring Mint?
Let get real folks. Mint is a tool. I am a retired mechanic. All my tools are boring.
I have a real life and it is exciting. Bicycle riding and dancing. A variety of dance partners. It was like that before retiring. End of subject.
Get a real life
L
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Maybe you missed this bit?
deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm This would have taken me ages to work out with Mate - but, no - Mint was right there to solve the problem for me without any issues. So, boring, yes - maybe. Awesome, yes.
:)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

lexon wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:20 pm Boring Mint?
Let get real folks. Mint is a tool. I am a retired mechanic. All my tools are boring.
I have a real life and it is exciting. Bicycle riding and dancing. A variety of dance partners. It was like that before retiring. End of subject.
Get a real life
L
Why the heck would I want to do that? (Can't dance...play bass guitar...also in Mass)

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

deanr72 wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 6:52 pm I use Linux Mint 18.3 and Mate 16.04 and, as I'm fairly new to Linux/Ubuntu, am constantly looking online for reviews and info and stats etc. re. the best DEs to use...

One thing I came across is that Mint is rather boring in comparison to the other distros - and I tend to agree. Of my two work-horses I tend to veer towards Mate than Mint. Which is really weird, because I've had that many more problems with Ubuntu Mate than Linux Mint. So why do I persist with Mate when Mint is so much better especially OTB?

I know in a perverse way I enjoy fighting with problems like a lot of Windows > Ubuntu migrants. But really, confused? Why wouldn't I want a computer that simply works and, upon encountering the occasional issue, simply solves itself? And yet, at the same time, feel it's lacking something? Is this the definition of masochism?

And, yes, FYI, I have tweaked and tweaked Mint until the point of breaking over the last few months and it simply refuses to give in.
That feeling is what I call "The Windows Syndrome" and I believe it is quite real. There are many who get some perverse joy of having their windows OS breakdown often enough they can feel "more useful" in trying to resurrect it, and get some sense of accomplishment when they are able to do so, and an ego boost too.

As for Arch, I consider it the last place where old Linux dinosaurs go to retire.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”