Spell Checker not working.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

I selected hyphen en us, and mythes LibreOffice from synaptic for instillation, it seemed to install ok, Then rebooted, checked spell checker but no good not working. Any advice will be appreciated

User name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ inxi -Szxx
System: Host: rpa3-Lenovo-ideapad-100S Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.2.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
User name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turtlebay

Re: Spell Checker not working.

Post by turtlebay »

You must install a dictionary for it to work from in Synaptic Package Manager or Software Manager.

In Linux, it isn't normally necessary to restart the system when installing software, that is a Microsoft-only idiosyncrasy.
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

You could try to install

Code: Select all

myspell-en-us
and then use the following commands to create links

sudo ln -s /usr/share/hunspell/en_US.dic /usr/share/myspell/dicts/

sudo ln -s /usr/share/hunspell/en_US.aff /usr/share/myspell/dicts/
There may be a final setting in LibreOffice but this should provide a system wide dictionary. For example in TeXworks one would find the menu Edit>Spelling and after running the above commands there should be an option for US English. There are other languages available in myspell which you can find in Software Manager.

Note that you probably have to restart whatever editor you use (but not your whole system) to get the links to appear.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am You could try to install

myspell-en-us

There may be a final setting in LibreOffice but this should provide a system wide dictionary. For example in TeXworks one would find the menu Edit>Spelling and after running the above commands there should be an option for US English. There are other languages available in myspell which you can find in Software Manager.

Note that you probably have to restart whatever editor you use (but not your whole system) to get the links to appear.
[When you say system wide dictionary will that apply to Libreoffice writer and Thunderbird mailer and Firefox browser as well. ]
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Yes, it will apply to everything but you may have to enable from within specific applications (i.e. my example for TeXworks, I don't use Libre or Thunderbird so I don't know the exact menus you need)
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 am Yes, it will apply to everything but you may have to enable from within specific applications (i.e. my example for TeXworks, I don't use Libre or Thunderbird so I don't know the exact menus you need)
[Hi cabbagetreemo. Thanks for the input, but ill bat on with Thunderbird]
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 5:34 am
cabbagetreemo wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 am You could try to install

myspell-en-us

[When you say system wide dictionary will that apply to Libreoffice writer and Thunderbird mailer and Firefox browser as well. ]

[When I entered myspell-en-us in the terminal it returned with "myspell-en-us: command not found" . When I check in software manager it shows myspell ticked, I presume that means its installed?.]
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

to install something you don't just type its name you have to use a package manager, often apt-get. So you would type

sudo apt-get install myspell-en-us
It is possible that the en-us package is already installed in which case you only need to create the symbolic links
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:41 am to install something you don't just type its name you have to use a package manager, often apt-get. So you would type

sudo apt-get install myspell-en-us
It is possible that the en-us package is already installed in which case you only need to create the symbolic links

sudo apt-get install myspell-en-us in terminal, unpacked OK,even though it was shown as installed in software manager before hand. It doesn't show up anywhere not in tools, option language setting, writing aids.
Then look under spell check options, writing aids, user defined dictionary, I see with an X check mark, standard English- Australian, X Technical all, X Ignore all lists.
Its creating the symbolic links that seems to be the issue, maybe its just broken!]
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

Did you type the commands I gave in my first reply exactly as I wrote them AFTER installing myspell-en-us?
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 5:53 am Did you type the commands I gave in my first reply exactly as I wrote them AFTER installing myspell-en-us?

[Yes here is the output
User Name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ sudo apt-get install myspell-en-us
[sudo] password for rpa3:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
myspell-en-us is already the newest version (1:5.1.0-1ubuntu2.2).
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 30 not to upgrade.
User Name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ ]

I read somewhere that Myspell was designed OpenOffice ?
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

That means you have mysepll-en-us installed, that's the first step.

Now can you post the output of

ls /usr/share/myspell/dicts/
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:23 pm That means you have mysepll-en-us installed, that's the first step.

Now can you post the output of

ls /usr/share/myspell/dicts/
[User Name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $ ls /usr/share/myspell/dicts/
en_US.aff hyph_en_CA.dic hyph_fi_FI.dic hyph_id_ID.dic
en_US.dic hyph_en_US.dic hyph_ga_IE.dic
User Name-Lenovo-ideapad-100S ~ $

Finger crossed]
cabbagetreemo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cabbagetreemo »

It looks to me like you have set up the symbolic links correctly, whatever you need to do next is program specific. As I said, I don't use LibreOffice so I will not be able to help you further.
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Andow »

cabbagetreemo wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 am It looks to me like you have set up the symbolic links correctly, whatever you need to do next is program specific. As I said, I don't use LibreOffice so I will not be able to help you further.

[I'm thinking its broken,I may uninstall LibreOffice and reinstall, it may fix it.
Thank you so much for your time and effort Cabbagetreemo
]
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unresolved & abandoned Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:56 am
cabbagetreemo wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:13 am It looks to me like you have set up the symbolic links correctly, whatever you need to do next is program specific. As I said, I don't use LibreOffice so I will not be able to help you further.

[I'm thinking its broken,I may uninstall LibreOffice and reinstall, it may fix it.
Thank you so much for your time and effort Cabbagetreemo
]
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Unresolved & abandoned Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:42 am I selected hyphen en us, and mythes LibreOffice from synaptic for instillation, it seemed to install ok, Then rebooted, checked spell checker but no good not working. Any advice will be appreciated

System: Host: rpa3-Lenovo-ideapad-100S Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re:Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 am
Andow wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 10:42 am I selected hyphen en us, and mythes LibreOffice from synaptic for instillation, it seemed to install ok, Then rebooted, checked spell checker but no good not working. Any advice will be appreciated

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re:Unresolved & abandone Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

Andow
Level 3
Level 3

Re:Spell Checker not working.

Post by Andow »

Andow wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:55 am

Return to “Beginner Questions”