Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by MurphCID »

I can't wait. I am looking forward to it a great deal, and hope that it fixes the trackpad issue on my HP laptop. Even the HP pen works like it should on the laptop.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

MurphCID wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am I can't wait. I am looking forward to it a great deal, and hope that it fixes the trackpad issue on my HP laptop. Even the HP pen works like it should on the laptop.
You can try installing kernel 4.15, reboot and test
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 11:11 am
MurphCID wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am I can't wait. I am looking forward to it a great deal, and hope that it fixes the trackpad issue on my HP laptop. Even the HP pen works like it should on the laptop.
You can try installing kernel 4.15, reboot and test
I'll wait, I am a bit conservative and not experienced enough to test things like new Kernels.
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Being new to Mint I was just wondering if Mint 18.3 will be updated to Mint 19 through Update Manager or will Mint 19 require a fresh download and install, or could an 18.3 system be upgraded to 19 through the CLI using sudo apt-get etc, etc.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

stephanieswitzer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am Being new to Mint I was just wondering if Mint 18.3 will be updated to Mint 19 through Update Manager or will Mint 19 require a fresh download and install, or could an 18.3 system be upgraded to 19 through the CLI using sudo apt-get etc, etc.
There'll probably be an upgrade option in Update Manager, but if so, I advise not to use it....

The "jump" in code base is so big, that it's more prudent to do a clean installation of Mint 19. I generally only recommend version upgrades within a series (e.g. the 18 series), because only within a series the code base remains identical.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Pjotr wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 am
stephanieswitzer wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:19 am Being new to Mint I was just wondering if Mint 18.3 will be updated to Mint 19 through Update Manager or will Mint 19 require a fresh download and install, or could an 18.3 system be upgraded to 19 through the CLI using sudo apt-get etc, etc.
There'll probably be an upgrade option in Update Manager, but if so, I advise not to use it....

The "jump" in code base is so big, that it's more prudent to do a clean installation of Mint 19. I generally only recommend version upgrades within a series (e.g. the 18 series), because only within a series the code base remains identical.
Good advice. I did an upgrade from 17.3 to 18.1 on one installation. It works fine but the fresh install on the other one is just a little smoother seeming, bearing out what you say.

That said, I'm looking forward to a nice, clean, fresh installation of Mint 19 when it's out.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Or wait 2-3 weeks for the experience of others who take the upgrade route , then decide which way to choose.
Is it possible to take backup of all installed applications on 18.3 using backintime and restore on the Mint 19 system?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

xrhstaras

Can somebody give me the link to download linux mint 19 beta ?

Post by xrhstaras »

Can somebody give me the link to download linux mint 19 beta ?
Also can i be a tester ?
stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 1:18 pm

Or wait 2-3 weeks for the experience of others who take the upgrade route , then decide which way to choose.
Is it possible to take backup of all installed applications on 18.3 using backintime and restore on the Mint 19 system?
All makes perfect sense. Thanks everyone.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz
MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz
System76 Galago Pro 4, running Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.3 Intel i5-1021 CPU @ 4.2 Ghz
LinuxMintNorge

Post by LinuxMintNorge »

Very interesting development, I am also waiting for the new Mint.
Runs for the case the latest version of xubuntu 18.04 with some oscillating results.
But have driven Mint for many years now.
Windows10, I only use bank ID.

Hope Mint continues with the good quality and stability as before.
Awaiting the chinnamon release here in Sweden.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Can somebody give me the link to download linux mint 19 beta ?

Post by smurphos »

xrhstaras wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 2:10 pm Can somebody give me the link to download linux mint 19 beta ?
Also can i be a tester ?
It's not released yet as a beta although I don't think it will be very long - keep an eye on the announcements sub-forum here and/or the linux mint blog - https://blog.linuxmint.com/ for the availability of the beta isos.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You can try installing kernel version 4.15.x reboot and test
Regards,
Deepak

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The iso testing for Tara has started:
https://community.linuxmint.com/iso

The bèta is coming! :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
stefanoful

Post by stefanoful »

Pjotr wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm The iso testing for Tara has started:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
JohnFrumm

Post by JohnFrumm »

Pjotr wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 2:44 pm The iso testing for Tara has started:

That's great! I find it surprising that they release all three betas (Cinnamon, MATE, xfce) simultaneously - I expected them to trickle out one at a time.

It is also surprising to me that with previous releases there appeared to be very short time gaps between the beta and the official release.
Jmthomas87

Post by Jmthomas87 »

Yes!! Can't wait to get home and and pull down the new Cinnamon.
Jmthomas87

Post by Jmthomas87 »

Or maybe not.

Can't seem to find an actual DL link. Oh well, I can wait. No biggie. Looking forward to it going RTM.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Jmthomas87 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm Can't seem to find an actual DL link.
Testing iso download is available to testers only.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Jmthomas87

Post by Jmthomas87 »

catweazel wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:51 pm
Jmthomas87 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 7:48 pm Can't seem to find an actual DL link.
Testing iso download is available to testers only.
Ah, understood. Thanks for the info. I can wait.
qiang

Post by qiang »

The testing iso start with 5 day ago,when will be ready for download? I can not wait ,haha!!

Return to “Introduce Yourself”