Using Windows 10 was like...

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Using Windows 10 was like...

Post by catweazel »

I just had to fire up Windwoes 10 to update my NavMan GPS before going on a 3000km road trip next weekend. Unfortunately there's no way to update the device without Windwoes. After the customary 1 hour long forced upgrade of the OS, using Windwoes felt like I was bathing in someone else's dirty bath water <SHUDDER>

It felt completely alien. The colour scheme is all white and hardly viewable without eye strain. It was a pleasure to get back into linux as soon as the update was finished. No doubt the next time I boot it up there'll be another 1 hour long forced upgrade before I can use the machine again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Using Windows 10 was like...

Post by BigEasy »

Have no idea how people triped without GPS 25 years ago (and without Windows 10 too). Nobody lost. Most problems people create by themselves.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I use a Garmin navigation system. We have replaced the Garmin maps with maps from OpenStreetMaps. That means we can update it on Linux, by simply downloading the maps and putting them on an SD card that goes into the device. I don't think that works for all brands and models, but for ours it does.

I was selling a moped engine a few years ago and the buyer postponed his visit until when his navi was back from the repair shop. He refused to come without it, even when the instructions we gave were literally "Cross the bridge, turn sharply right, turn left at the lights, we're at number 7 on the left." Made me wonder what he used to do before navis were common... maybe his mother was always in the car with him, reading the map? :shock:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

BigEasy wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:44 am Nobody lost.
Are you sure about that? I used to get lost a lot when I had to home visit as part of my job with a 'patch' of over 3000 square kilometers to cover - most of it rural. Hours spent parked up in farm field gates on endless country lanes poring over maps or looking at printed out directions.......I nearly kissed my employer when they first provided a phone with google maps.

Live traffic is a godsend for any UK commuter.....
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Moem wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am I use a Garmin navigation system. We have replaced the Garmin maps with maps from OpenStreetMaps. That means we can update it on Linux, by simply downloading the maps and putting them on an SD card that goes into the device. I don't think that works for all brands and models, but for ours it does.
Thanks. I'll look into that.
... maybe his mother was always in the car with him, reading the map? :shock:
With his mother in the car, perhaps he was worried he'd take a wrong turn in to Korte Stormsteeg :mrgreen:
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

catweazel wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 amWith his mother in the car, perhaps he was worried he'd take a wrong turn in to Korte Stormsteeg :mrgreen:
It was built in 1553, she should know it's there by now! :lol:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

unfortunately catweazel is right - - sometime you still need to use Windwoes
:roll:
Moem wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am I use a Garmin navigation system. We have replaced the Garmin maps with maps from OpenStreetMaps. That means we can update it on Linux, by simply downloading the maps and putting them on an SD card that goes into the device. I don't think that works for all brands and models, but for ours it does.

Hey Moem - - that's would be a great Tutorial - - if you could write it, sometime.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 am Hey Moem - - that's would be a great Tutorial - - if you could write it, sometime.
8)
Good idea! I'll look into it, sometime. :)

DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I can honestly say i have never used a GPS unit in my life...anytime i have had to drive here in the U.S. whether around a state or anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Ireland, England, Wales, or Scotland, i have always used just maps and once in a while asked a "local" for directions...have never got lost...DAMIEN
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

fascinating! I have a Garmin DriveSmart 70 that I use daily... but the maps are kinda funky, especially here in Mexico. It does accept a microSD card so I guess using OpenStreetMaps is possible. I had never thought of it.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Here's some information about OSM on Garmins. https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin

AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Pierre wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 7:37 am unfortunately catweazel is right - - sometime you still need to use Windwoes
:roll:

Hey Moem - - that's would be a great Tutorial - - if you could write it, sometime.
8)
I will 2nd that, my Garmins have being doing some really stupid things, like diverting me from a 4 lane onto a gravel road?
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Funny how the thread has focused on navigation systems rather than Windose 10... so that being said.

I've never used or needed 'assistance' past a look at a map.... always found road signs, when they actually damn exist, more than enough with a little pre-planning beforehand, but I do understand why people use them. However some people just shouldn't have access to them, they just shouldn't.....

A few years ago a friend and I popped over to Amsterdam for a weekend of, eh, merriment and indulgence. Knowing the flight back was only 40 mins, clearly not enough time to sober up, we arranged for their partner to pick us up at the airport. Indeed, we staggered out and there they were waiting, great. We jumped in the car as they programmed the navigation to take us home.

Now if anyone knows Luton airport in the UK they can tell you that as you exit the very fist thing you encounter is a roundabout and upon this roundabout is a sign. Its not just any sign this is the beast of all signs, its massive and only says one thing, "For the M1 take the first exit left" with a huge arrow pointing you in the right direction.

As we approached the roundabout the voice on the nav said, very clearly, matter of fact, "For the M1 go straight over, take the second exit" Which they did. Into a rather scary looking, one way only, industrial estate that took the best part on an hour to escape.

Like I said, some people just shouldn't :lol:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 9:17 am I can honestly say i have never used a GPS unit in my life...anytime i have had to drive here in the U.S. whether around a state or anywhere in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Ireland, England, Wales, or Scotland, i have always used just maps and once in a while asked a "local" for directions...have never got lost...DAMIEN
Wife tried to use it once, it was an unmitigated disaster. I think the address put in was off a bit, set for w. instead of west street something. It lead to a bad part of town, ended up in front of a dicey looking bar. Now she prints out directions and looks at a map.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

catweazel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:25 pmNo doubt the next time I boot it up there'll be another 1 hour long forced upgrade before I can use the machine again.
Switch to Win7. The process is so excruciatingly slow it reminds me of downloading an OS/2 Fixpak with a 28.8kb/s modem.

I have a Win7 virtual machine, and last forced/automatic update took over 3 hours - I will blame part of the slowdown on it being a VM, and to be fair the update also included updates to Acrobat and iTunes. And the obligatory reboots. After that I turned off automatic updates and killed internet access from the VM.

I have had only one experience with a Garmin. A couple of years ago I pulled 'Driving Miss Daisy' duty for my dear, sweet mother. She is easily distracted, and since this adventure would take us through parts unknown she purchased a Garmin make my life easier. An hour into the trip and nearly 120 miles from our next turn it woke up and announced, "Recalculating." It did that once every five minutes until I told my mother to turn it off, remove the battery, and throw it out the window.

I use the OsmAnd app for navigation. For me it has been the next best thing to a good map and a navigator who does not get distracted.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Moem wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 4:57 am ...
I was selling a moped engine a few years ago and the buyer postponed his visit until when his navi was back from the repair shop. He refused to come without it, even when the instructions we gave were literally "Cross the bridge, turn sharply right, turn left at the lights, we're at number 7 on the left." Made me wonder what he used to do before navis were common... maybe his mother was always in the car with him, reading the map? :shock:
Love it! :roll:
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

KBD47 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:46 pm Wife tried to use it once, it was an unmitigated disaster. I think the address put in was off a bit, set for w. instead of west street something. It lead to a bad part of town, ended up in front of a dicey looking bar. Now she prints out directions and looks at a map.
GIGO :wink:
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

catweazel wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 10:25 pm I just had to fire up Windwoes 10 to update my NavMan GPS before going on a 3000km road trip next weekend. Unfortunately there's no way to update the device without Windwoes. After the customary 1 hour long forced upgrade of the OS, using Windwoes felt like I was bathing in someone else's dirty bath water <SHUDDER>

It felt completely alien. The colour scheme is all white and hardly viewable without eye strain. It was a pleasure to get back into linux as soon as the update was finished. No doubt the next time I boot it up there'll be another 1 hour long forced upgrade before I can use the machine again.
I feel for you catweazel. I have Windows 10 at work and it just went through another "upgrade" to version 1803. Ugh! These "updates" keep resetting some settings to the default. Very annoying! Also have Windows in a virtual machine and use that at home to update my Garmin. It hasn't gone through the 1803 update---yet.

Return to “Chat about Linux”