How can I get Mint 18.3 to treat a certain wifi connection as a mobile hotspot?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

How can I get Mint 18.3 to treat a certain wifi connection as a mobile hotspot?

Post by pepperminty » Sun May 20, 2018 1:56 pm

How can I get my Mint 18.3 to treat a particular wifi connection as a mobile hotspot? In other words, when I'm using a particular wifi connection, I don't want to only use bandwidth that I explicitly tell it to -- like the webpages I'm visiting.

On Windows 10 computers, you have an option of marking a wifi network as a mobile connection (this means it won't do a lot of downloading, like updates).

md419
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How can I get Mint 18.3 to treat a certain wifi connection as a mobile hotspot?

Post by md419 » Sun May 20, 2018 4:48 pm

The closest information I could find into implementing a metered connection for Linux was this post ... https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... as-metered

I don't have the slightest idea if it actually works. :D

There have been other threads in the Mint forums discussing metered Internet, but when going through those responses, I didn't see a solution similar to what you're looking for ...

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Re: How can I get Mint 18.3 to treat a certain wifi connection as a mobile hotspot?

Post by JerryF » Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Look under Network from System Settings:
Shutter-001.jpg
Click to enlarge
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

JeremyB
Level 18
Level 18

Post by JeremyB » Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm

JerryF wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Shutter-001.jpg
I think he wants a metered connection that limits the data usage on wifi, not turning the computer into a hotspot itself

JerryF
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JerryF » Sun May 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Ah, thanks.

Sorry pepperminty. :cry:
IF AND WHEN your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty » Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm

JeremyB wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 5:01 pm
JerryF wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Shutter-001.jpg
I think he wants a metered connection that limits the data usage on wifi, not turning the computer into a hotspot itself
Jeremy is right.

Return to “Newbie Questions”