Remmina or Teamviewer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Remmina or Teamviewer

Post by lsemmens »

I've managed to set up Remmina to control wife's computer with little difficulty, however, her machine is running Linux on the same network. So, who is 200Km away is having issues with a program on a Windows machine. Can someone please give me a blow by blow on how I can remotely log into his machine.

I am running Mint cinnamon 18.4 and son ins on Windows 10.

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remmina or Teamviewer

Post by tovian »

IMHO...
In the short term TeamViewer is definitely the way to go. Over the long haul I would set up a "remote desktop" connection (RDP/Remina) since TeamViewer has become really "testy" about the use of their "free" service.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

for the short term - most folks would suggest using TeamViewer .. .

for the Long Term - something like Remina would work.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

I ponder a bit. Remmina is in the Debian Stretch (stable) repos, but Teamviewer is not, not even in the testing or unstable repos. I wonder why.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it's probably that TeamViewer is not a supported product,
and anyway,, it's quite easy to install.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

tovian wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:01 am ...since TeamViewer has become really "testy" about the use of their "free" service.
I've been using TeamViewer to this day to help friends and it's never given me a problem.
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I help my sister-in-law with her desktop tower computer and I use Teamviewer to access her computer. Teamviewer has never given me or her any problems.

BTW, my sister-in-law lives 200 miles from me. Her desktop tower computer has two hard drives in it. Her default drive is installed with 64 bit Windows 7 and her second hard is installed with 64 bit linux Mint.

On her computer and mine, linux Teamviewer is installed by using the Gdebi Package Installer. Whether she is needs help with her Windows 7 or linux Mint hard drives, I always access her hard drives with my linux Teamviewer since she has Teamviewer installed on both her windows and linux hard drives.

One thing I've noticed. Once linux Teamviewer is installed, the new updates to it come through the Update Manager in Mint so someone is maintaining it.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Night Wing wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:56 pm ...
One thing I've noticed. Once linux Teamviewer is installed, the new updates to it come through the Update Manager in Mint so someone is maintaining it.
That's because when TeamViewer is installed in Linux, a repository is added to "Additional repositories" in Software Sources.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I've used the free version of TeamViewer (Windows and Linux) for years - I think I started when it was first introduced. I never considered myself an abuser - but apparently the TeamViewer folks (or their auto-metrics software) think otherwise. For about a year I received warnings that I was a "suspected" commercial user. Then, a couple of months ago, they started disconnecting my sessions after about five minutes.

If they want to believe I was a commercial user then let 'em. Funny thing is, I never charged anyone a dime for helping over the phone (and using TeamViewer). How commercial can that be?
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

TeamViewer is easy to set up and easy to use. I've been using TeamViewer for years, but recently have been using AnyDesk more than TeamViewer. I find AnyDesk just as easy with less nag about free use. Might even be a little faster on my connection than TV.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

sdibaja wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm I ponder a bit. Remmina is in the Debian Stretch (stable) repos, but Teamviewer is not, not even in the testing or unstable repos. I wonder why.
It's not open source and it's a commercial product, albeit they don't charge for non-commercial use - doesn't normally sit well with Debian.

Re non-commercial - I guess if you are using it to connect to one or two other machines on a regular basis they should be fine but connecting irregularly to a variety of different machines makes them assume you are providing commercial tech support...??
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

smurphos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 12:55 am
sdibaja wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm I ponder a bit. Remmina is in the Debian Stretch (stable) repos, but Teamviewer is not, not even in the testing or unstable repos. I wonder why.
It's not open source and it's a commercial product, albeit they don't charge for non-commercial use - doesn't normally sit well with Debian.

Re non-commercial - I guess if you are using it to connect to one or two other machines on a regular basis they should be fine but connecting irregularly to a variety of different machines makes them assume you are providing commercial tech support...??
I don't think I want someone/anyone monitoring my use. Insecure
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Will Remmina work on a Windows box?

How do I install teamviewer in Mint?

I tried sudo apt install teamviewer and got package not found. I am very new to the Linux way of doing things, In Windows I'd just download an installer and let it do the hard work,
Fully mint Household
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Remmina is compatible with RDP (windows Remote Desktop Protocol) so it should work in principle as a client to connect to a windows machine with RDP enabled. I'd probably use the official PPA rather than the repo version for this type of software - https://github.com/FreeRDP/Remmina/wiki

Teamviewer being proprietary commercial software isn't in the standard repos. In this case you download and install the deb file from https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/

I believe the installation will add the Teamviewer hosted repo to the system so it will be updated following installation.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Which version of Windows 10 does your son have? It looks like the RDP server is not officially available on Windows 10 Home editions - you need Pro or Enterprise. Workaround discussed here - https://www.ctrl.blog/entry/how-to-rdpw ... win10-home
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

He's running Windows 10 Home, I suspect that there is some method of being able to make it work under that version, however, as a friend did send me a link to teamviewer some time back when he needed to show me how to do something. At the time I was running 10 home, so I know that it does work somehow. It I was in Windows, I might be able to sort it for myself, but, in Linux, I am totally out of my depth.
Fully mint Household
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

TeamViewer will work fine,, it's the RDP/Remmina route that won't if your son is not able to activate an RDP server on his Windows 10.

Edit...https://superuser.com/questions/661749/ ... iewer-work?
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

smurphos wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:08 am Which version of Windows 10 does your son have? It looks like the RDP server is not officially available on Windows 10 Home editions
I believe that the Home version does not support the client (he can't initiate a connection to you), but it runs the embedded server just fine (you can connect to him as long as the setting is turned on).

Animal House

Return to “Software & Applications”