[Solved] Best Backup Choice for non-tech users.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Best Backup Choice for non-tech users.

Post by glasscapt »

I'm sharing this information, specifically for non-tech users.

Subject matter here is in regard to backing up your data, using Deja Dup, TimeShift, and Clonezilla.

I've used all three methods to backup data on my system, which is Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I had a system crash/failure today and I spent hours testing and restoring my system. I tried TimeShift first which failed, as it did not correct major issues with my wifi networking, or my sound issue. So I next tried Clonezilla, which proved to be inadequate for a non Tech user such as myself, to restore my machine. I finally did a full reinstallation of Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, and then used Deja Dup, expecting it to only backup some of my data. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it also had backed up many of my configurations, and even restoring my bookmarks in my browsers. I will be relying on Deja Dup from now on for any future system failures. Deja Dup, for the win.

(This has been my main os for the last 2 1/2 years has been Linux Mint, which has proven to be fantastic.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Best Backup Choice for non-tech users.

Post by smurphos »

Different tools for different jobs.

Timeshift by default is a system snapshot tool only - it does nothing with your personal data it's all about restoring the system files to a previous state. Primary use case - recovering from a bad software update (kernel etc) or other package install / removal related disaster.

You'll always need another tool for backup of your personal data (basically the contents of your home) which include user specific app configuration / data. Plenty of choice here - Backintime, Aptik, Deja Dup, Lucky backup, Mintbackup, simple and effective command line rsync. All do the same basic job, some have additional use cases - use whatever you are comfortable using. Personally, I use my own scripts written with rsync along with Aptik.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glasscapt »

Appreciate your addition to my info on backing up.

Just to clarify, TimeShift failed to restore my system to working order, which was a surprise and a great disappointment. My system failed from installing some software, and I had hopes that TimeShift would take my system back to before those bad installations. It did not do so. I tried two prior restore dates, with no success.

Being a non-tech user, I'm happy to report that Deja Dup worked the best. I also found it to be the most user friendly, as well. I did try a couple of the others you mentioned. I can attest to the way that my favorite choice helped to restore a great deal of my system.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You need more than one type of backup for different requirements.
  • Backintime and timeshift both use rsync to backup individual files. Backintime defaults to backing up /home. Timeshift defaults to backing up / (without home), so backintime = user files and timeshift = system files. I use both with them running automatically on a daily basis. Prior to 'discovering' them I had written my own scripts to run rsync.
  • For partition images you need something like Clonezilla. I've not used it, but use redo instead. It has a pretty simple interface and is straightforward to use. I try and remember to run this once a month.
I have used all three in anger having on a number of occasions trashed my system or bits of it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Deja Dup is usually the one recommended for non tech users. Others may want to see this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/2596/co ... ckup-tools
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glasscapt »

AndyMH... Thanks for the mention of using Redo, after which I tried it today from an old disc that I had burned years ago. I think I'll be using it from now on instead of Clonezilla, as Clonezilla did not work well for me. I will continue to use Deja Dup, along with Redo, which should allow me to restore my system the next time it crashes. I can't recommend Redo for other users as I went online to download the software earlier today, but apparently it is no longer supported. Thanks to all for the various feedback regarding my backup issue.
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by glasscapt »

Correction... I found that you can still download Redo from the Sourceforge web site.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Best Back-up for non-tech users is to keep it super simple- - KISS - -

- just copy your /Data files to some usb sick
- re-install with the same ISO that you originally installed with.

if you have installed, maybe just a few, extra programs, note what they are,,
so that you can redo them after your KISS re-installation.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

My own little experiment proved the value of Aptik.

1st, I make an Aptik backup of my main laptop, an ASUS TP500L

Then later, I installed the same ISO to a Dell laptop that I have, about 3 years older, but I wanted to see what would happen when Aptik was used to overlay the Dell with the copy from the ASUS.

The result was that the Dell became a perfect clone of the ASUS, but there was a bonus that occurred.
The Dell uses a different kernel and Aptik recognized that and installed the latest version of that kernel instead of copying over the kernel from the ASUS.

IMO, you can't have too many backups, and from different methods.

I use:
Aptik
LuckyBackup
BackInTime
Clonezilla
Redo

I have 6TB of external USB space to work with, so the extras don't worry me, rather I enjoy seeing the difference in what they do, and being able to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get a perfect copy of what I had when something gets mucked up.

I make a Timeshift copy immediately before, and right after any major change. and each of those is labeled as to what the facts are for that copy.

Right now, I am doing a hardware reconfiguration of the ASUS because the HDD on it developed 100s of bad blocks..... when I finish putting it together, I will be able to restore it to the same point in time 24 hours earlier than when it failed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

So how do I install Déjà Dup for Linux Mint 18.3? In the software manager, I see 3 listings: Deja-dup-backend-cloudfiles; Deja-dup-backend-gvfs; and Deja-dup-backend-s3.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

if you enter deja-dup in the search box in Software Manager you should get 5 listings one of which is just called Deja-dup which is the one to install.

or revert to command line apt install deja-dup
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

smurphos wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 am if you enter deja-dup in the search box in Software Manager you should get 5 listings one of which is just called Deja-dup which is the one to install.

or revert to command line apt install deja-dup
Thanks. Wonder why I show only 3 yet you said there were 5? Also, I don't see it listed in the menu of softwares, or is it a command line only to launch it?
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Its menu entry should be called 'Backups' and be in Accessories and Preferences (mints backup tool has the same icon but is called 'Backup tool' and sits in Administration)

The GUI can be launched from the command line with deja-dup-preferences

It is strange it didn't show in the Software Manager for you....I take it the command line install worked OK?
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

smurphos wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 1:04 am Its menu entry should be called 'Backups' and be in Accessories and Preferences (mints backup tool has the same icon but is called 'Backup tool' and sits in Administration)

The GUI can be launched from the command line with deja-dup-preferences

It is strange it didn't show in the Software Manager for you....I take it the command line install worked OK?
Yes thanks! I did find it where you said after I googled for it.
Last edited by Executioner on Wed May 23, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glasscapt
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Solved: Best Backup Choice for non-tech users.

Post by glasscapt »

Thanks for all the good suggestions from the responders to this post.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [Solved] Best Backup Choice for non-tech users.

Post by AndyMH »

To my list of backup tools: redo, timeshift and backintime, I've now added aptik :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Beginner Questions”