Linux passes 1% market share!

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fwc

Linux passes 1% market share!

Post by fwc »

According to NetApplications’ hitslink.com (http://www.berkeleylug.com/?p=43) inux passed 1% for the first time ever!! This is pretty awesome and even though 1% seems small I think it is an important step to open source advancement. One hopes windows 7 doesn't take any market share back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Shaddix

Re: Linux passes 1% market share!

Post by Shaddix »

windows 7 and vista are a bit the same, only 7 has again an other look

1% seems very few yes, let's see what the future brings us
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

This is great! <goes off to blog> :D
Fred

Post by Fred »

fwc,

To be honest with you, I don't put much stock into so-called polls/studies like this. There is really no way to compile this data with any kind of accuracy. Historically, these numbers come from shipped pre-installs and boxed sales. This might work pretty good for proprietary products, but for FOSS it is worthless.

Web site statistics aren't any better since you can get any kind of numbers you want by picking your site mix. Not to even mention spoofing with the user agents.

I have seen numbers from 0.1% to 18%. It is a joke to have a spread like that. It just depends on who is doing the study. There is more marketing than fact in stuff like this.

Fred
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

While I don't mind that people talk up Linux, it doesn't make much difference

In fact Linux is doing way better than the 1% mentioned that link, particularly in the data center, for normal business and in the Scientific field for High Performance Computing and in the movies for animation.

The windows' caboose is too big to move
--it looks like we are all trapped in the Matrix, unless the free agent heroes can overturn the empire(s)

The caboose is what hurts Linux and Foss in general, as they don't have the money (billions) to throw at high profile projects, just like this one
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/322/7281/283
  • Giving patients control over permissions to view their record---as well as creation, collation, annotation, modification, dissemination, use, and deletion of the record---is key to ensuring patients' access to their own medical information while protecting their privacy
--not something big business would be interested in ensuring, I think, because all the better to share with (partners!)..

http://www.reuters.com/article/domestic ... 2E20090409
  • There are many that design such systems, including Cerner Corp, Eclipsys Corp, Global Med Technologies Inc, Quality Systems Inc and Allscripts-Misys Healthcare Solutions Inc, IBM, General Electric Co, Siemens AG and McKesson Corp.
    Wal-Mart Inc's, Sam's Club unit is offering individual doctors a package including software and Dell computers.
    Experts say any national system would have to connect easily to other systems while protecting privacy.
--that's the propriety moat, that can prevent any other foss software being included !

Return to “Chat about Linux”