Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by mrodent »

this question from 2016 is about KDE... may be the reason why I don't see "Application Style" under System Settings --> Appearance. Or could be that things have changed.

I've managed to make the vertical scrollbars wider by fiddling with the files under usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-* ... but I can't find how to make the "grabbable areas" for changing window size bigger.

PS: why are there two "types" of gtk (2 and 3)? Do certain components use one and others the other? How would I know which components are 2 and which are 3?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Version: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana, 64-bit; Cinnamon 4.6.6; Machine: ASUSTek, PRIME Z270-A, Quad Core, Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]; total drive space: 5.5 TB (2 SSDs + 1 internal HD + 1 external HD);
UEFI dual boot w/ W10
sevendogs

Re: Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by sevendogs »

Are you attempting to resize a window in Gnome but having trouble clicking on the grab handle because it is thin?

Instead of that, I do this: all DEs and WMs, except Gnome, will allow you to hold the alt key and right mouse button and resize. You can do this at any point in the window and don't need to grab the resize handle or window border. To make this active in Gnome, run this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences resize-with-right-button true
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Gnome: How do I increase the size of the grabbable area that allows me to resize the windows?

Post by AZgl1800 »

@Schultz shows us how

viewtopic.php?f=206&t=265533#p1442526

I have mine set to 1/4 inch on the screen now
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
mrodent
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mrodent »

@sevendogs neat, thanks. And the left button to move.

@AZgl1500 That's the thing I have managed to do on my own, as I said. In fact I found out what to do from that very thread. I was asking for something different.
Version: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana, 64-bit; Cinnamon 4.6.6; Machine: ASUSTek, PRIME Z270-A, Quad Core, Intel Core i7-7700
GPU: NVIDIA GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB]; total drive space: 5.5 TB (2 SSDs + 1 internal HD + 1 external HD);
UEFI dual boot w/ W10

Return to “Beginner Questions”