GNU Grub when booting

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GS84700

GNU Grub when booting

Post by GS84700 »

Hi everyone,

Just a couple days ago, I signed in the forum to see how to update firefox on linux mint (yes, I'm a newbie). As it turned out, I had no updated mint-upgrade-info. I did that and a whole bunch of updates, including firefox became available and I downloaded all of them. For details, if that is important for the topic at hand, here's the link to that thread:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=269918&p=1472857#p1472857

So... After that, I used my laptop without shutting it down.
Now I did shut it down, and when I turned back up, instead of booting, I got the following message (in French since I'm French, but it's translated here)

GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.14+linuxmint1
Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.

grub>

Only linux mint is installed on my computer.

Once again I'm no tech buff, and I choose to migrate from apple to linuxmint because mint was supposed to be very low to zero maintenance. I know, dispointing, we all have different gifts.

Thanks for any input/advice on how to solve the issue
G.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GS84700

Re: GNU Grub when booting

Post by GS84700 »

I might add that I'm currently reading the grub manual, to no avail, and that the default keyboard has been changed from azerty to qwerty, which makes it a pain to work with. :x
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

GS84700 wrote:.
Looks like one or more of the Level 4 & 5 updates has borked the system = a reinstall of LM is likely needed. ...
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/20 (Update Manager: understand and optimize it)
GS84700

Post by GS84700 »

That will teach me a lesson to download without paying attention Live and learn...
So there is just no way to restart computer with setup previous to the upgrade that cause the system to fail?
And does that mean I've lost all my data on my pc? :shock:
GS84700

Post by GS84700 »

After quite some research I have found that if I press shift during loading that would make the grub menu appear, from which I could choose the old kernel since the new one is not working.
Problem is, I've tried shift, right shift, space, escape, etc. I can't access the grub menu

Can someone please tell me how to access grub menu (the version is 2.02 beta 2
thanks a lot
Liaminks

Post by Liaminks »

Re keyboard changing itself to qwerty; Click on menu, click on preferences when it opens, about 3/4 way down you should find <keyboard>click on that ,go to layouts click on add (or+)then either by language or country scroll down until you find your desired layout click on add. in the next window there should be a place to test your layout; if it works lucky you: I had to restart 5 times with the DVD version of Mint 18,3 to get a German Layout that stayed there. Needless to say I am not impressed with Mint 18,3
I hope you have better Luck.Liam
GS84700

Post by GS84700 »

I've figured it out!!!!!!! :) :o :D
So here is what I've done, following in great part this page I've found on the internet :
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-rescue- ... ub-2-linux

grub> set root=(hd0,1)
grub> linux /vmlinuz-4.10.0-38-generic root=/dev/sda1
grub> initrd /initrd.img-4.10.0-38-generic
grub> boot

And I've hurried to erase the kernel that cause all that mess
Need to reboot and make sure it works!
GS84700

[solved] GNU Grub with no access to grub menu when booting

Post by GS84700 »

So yes it works!

I hope this will help any users not being able to access grub menu.
G.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

An easier GUI solution for newbies : boot-repair
(I just saw your thread, otherwise I could have advised it earlier)

Return to “Installation & Boot”