Monthly News – May 2018

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Monthly News – May 2018

Post by clem »

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Monthly News – May 2018

Post by KBD47 »

clem wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:05 pm https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3576

Beat releases Monday--Nice!
105NorthTower

Post by 105NorthTower »

Good news! Thanks for all the great work.

Just a quick question, if I may - which version of xorg-server are you planning to use? I ask because the latest version (1.20) is incompatible with legacy Nvidia drivers (304 and 340).
seelengram

Post by seelengram »

The beta of mint 19 is now available on this mirror. Have fun testing ... :D :D :D

https://ftp.fau.de/mint/iso/testing/
105NorthTower

Post by 105NorthTower »

Well spotted, thanks!

The Nvidia drivers work, so that's five more years of life for my ageing laptop :D
externa1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by externa1 »

seelengram wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:12 am The beta of mint 19 is now available on this mirror. Have fun testing ... :D :D :D

https://ftp.fau.de/mint/iso/testing/
have one problem with this beta (cinnamon edition)
when double click on .deb file it opens with packet manger - but after clicking install packet manager closes and nothing gets install have to install through dpkg

rg
Christian
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

externa1 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 am have one problem with this beta (cinnamon edition)
when double click on .deb file it opens with packet manger - but after clicking install packet manager closes and nothing gets install have to install through dpkg
+1, Gdebi opens checks dependencies but doesn't install, it just disappears upon clicking the install button.

sudo dpkg -i package.deb works fine.

Gdebi sees the installed package and offers to reinstall, but same thing, it just disappears on button click.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

Same issue when trying to install Chrome Browser.
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-101 Cinn 6.0.4
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

it seems linux is going backwards on some aspects. just tried mate 19 beta and i have a few gripes with it some flaws belong to mate and some to mint.
... i never used mint Y themes, it's inconsistent their status icons are belong to gnome icons and not the original faenza fork of mint.
... caja file manager now can not display toolbar without text even though in control center the option is still there
... settings dark themes in media player or xed does nothing (not using the global dark themes)
... the network tray icon has no tool tip
... xapps such as xed had plugins removed like external tools and kept others like messenger for the media player
... it would be so much easier if the mint menu could expand instead everything is crowded into a small rectangle, not sure if the brisk menu is available in mint

i was very impressed with mate 17.3 then not so with the 18 series. thank you to the mint team getting work on it but if some of these options don't work so they need to be removed like my big pet peeve of having file manager with icons only toolbar. the one status icon we stare at all day (the volume and network tray) in mint Y themes are just ugly

i didn't spend too much time i checked the usual things i always do in a mate desktop and it seems the mate developers are lettings things slip through the cracks. i haven't tried the inner workings of flatpaks or package manager only looked the cosmetic features and TBH i don't see any improvement in 19
Last edited by trytip on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

trytip wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:31 pm it seems linux is going backwards on some aspects. just tried mate 19 beta and will not install it. i have many gripes with it some flaws belong to mate and some to mint.
What do you expect from a beta?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

i don't expect much from an alpha, but a beta should be more polished. the main point is i haven't seen any progress in the mate desktop (nothing mint can do about it unless they re-write some code) the discrepancies i mention are also in mint 18, so the 19 beta version is just a continuation of things not completely fixed.
silfox2000
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silfox2000 »

trytip wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:03 am i don't expect much from an alpha, but a beta should be more polished.
These are just your expectations and you are free to move to an OS which has alphas, polished betas, more finished gammas and so on, instead of complaining about not even published beta.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

I put the XFCE AMD on a dvd and booted it fine off of it. I noticed while running off the dvd it had 2 Network Manager applets on the panel. I didn't notice any other faults while running on the dvd. It installed no problems for me, I didn't format /home partition but removed /boot and increased the root to take /boots space. My panel is scrambled up icons from the way I had them but not a real issue. Going back to setting it up the way I like it. Will have a report on your desk later on the progress. So far it looks really nice to me and I thank you devs for all your hard work!
----
Just got through with the updates and all went fine after reboot. I love the gentle slap in the face to setup timeshift which I forgot to do.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
AJ1000

Post by AJ1000 »

I got gdebi working by running the file manager as root and then doing ‘install package’. Hope this helps as a workaround.

The only problem I found is that mint update takes a minute longer than 16.04 used to using the same mirrors.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”