Terminal isn't pasting correctly.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
messenger

Terminal isn't pasting correctly.

Post by messenger »

I was trying to past in the terminal, and it kept pasting and entering the comaned. I needed to edite it before hitting inter, but it kept entering foor me. Please help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Terminal isn't pasting correctly.

Post by caf4926 »

ctrl+shift+V
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

messenger wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 8:49 pm I was trying to past in the terminal, and it kept pasting and entering the comaned. I needed to edite it before hitting inter, but it kept entering foor me. Please help.
If you don't want to execute the command when you paste it, don't include the new line character when you perform the copy.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

and you can use the "up arrow" to retrieve that command and edit it before you hit enter
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Like catweazel said, you copied the carriage return <CR> , so it gets pasted.

Fix: either avoid copying the <CR>, or you can paste the command+<CR> into a text editor to edit it; then paste the edited stuff into a terminal.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Flemur wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:13 pm Like catweazel said, you copied the carriage return <CR> , so it gets pasted.

Fix: either avoid copying the <CR>, or you can paste the command+<CR> into a text editor to edit it; then paste the edited stuff into a terminal.
Just to clarify, to the OP, the new line character cannot be seen. It's always at the end of a line and usually gets copied when you drag the mouse to the end of the text and into the next paragraph. You can avoid it by double-clicking a word and using ctrl-arrow on the keyboard to select text. Once you become aware of this character you'll eventually get the hang of avoiding it while using the mouse.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”