installation-problems via pcmcia-CD-rom

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
staubgold

installation-problems via pcmcia-CD-rom

Post by staubgold »

i installed the mint 6 fluxbox succesfully on an old notebook [256mb RAM / 600MHz / 9GB HDD] via internal CD-rom but failed with a subnotebook [256MbRam/700MHz/20Gb] via external PCMCIA-CDrom-drive.
it always sends me to the busybox.
i had exactly the same problem with both notebooks a few months ago when i installed ubuntu from Live-CD, but the subnotebook only accepted the textbased alternate-installer-CD not the liveCD...
has anyone got an idea how to solve this?

maybe interesting:
actually i have u-lite [http://u-lite.org/] on this machine and it does open the mit LiveCD with PCman, but i just don't know how to start the autorun...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: installation-problems via pcmcia-CD-rom

Post by Husse »

It's most likely the PCMCIA CD ROM
That's an appliance that is not common (any more)
I find that there are problems with it but I don't find a solution
Unless you can boot from USB and use a USB pendrive I think you're stuck
staubgold

Post by staubgold »

thanks so far.
should i re-install windows :( and try to run the installation from the live-CD?
sounds strange, i know...
Husse

Post by Husse »

Low on RAM
Any Mint Edition except Fluxbox and maybe XFCE will not work (well...) with so little RAM
(Oh I remember how I started out in the PC world with 24 MB in Win 95 :))
staubgold

Post by staubgold »

i meant the fluxbox - it's really nice for old notebooks and it works on the other one.
i just thought maybe i won't have this problem to install from the liveCD if i start it from windows directly.

but, well, ehhhm... i would have to delete windows via gparted afterwards as i dont want to have it on my machine...

my question should sound like that: would it make sense to start the mint fluxbox live-CD from a windows to prevent the problems i had with this louse pcmcia-cdrom?
Husse

Post by Husse »

mint4win is a Windows application and is run under Windows so you cant remove win....
staubgold

Post by staubgold »

hmmm, i see.
thanks anyway!

Return to “Installation & Boot”