Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ozo

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by Ozo »

smgordon1259 wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:21 pm Still running strong, no hiccups, full install, no worries.

Great Job Guys and Gals
You have seen no software which fails to load? I had a problem with Kolourpaint4 and Mahjong. Also you are not using Chrome, right?

If you would, try loading Kolourpaint4 and if you can then the problem is with my system only. Thanks. :)

EDIT: The Software manager is cooperating today so installation is happening albeit slowly. Still the Chrome browser is loaded but unseen in the menu manager.
Last edited by Ozo on Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

It took more than 4 hours to download the iso. Is that normal or am I just slow?

Aside from the wait the rest of the installation seemed flawless, sound was on and the internet connected.

Once loaded my custom icons look fine and the Cinnamox (with transparency) theme is perfect.

Still, it is the same Mint, same menu, same panel.

EDIT: It takes over a full minute to start and a restart is also over a minute.
Last edited by Ozo on Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

Generally looks impressive. Usual new release problem with Wine deb in Ubuntu repository not working. Hope that gets sorted out soon. There are a few threads on this in the WineHQ Forums.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

I agree, takes a serious amount of time to boot. I thought I'd messed up an fstab edit it was taking so long.

Did a fresh install today on another rig. Stand by my previous comments but its working fine and the updates have started coming down the pipes with regularity. Once booted its fast and responsive. Thumbs up here.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am It took more than 4 hours to download the iso. Is that normal or am I just slow?
downloading the torrent is 100% faster, direct download is always slow even on github or sourceforge
stefanoful

Post by stefanoful »

Sorry, but the notification panel, is not like that of gnome3? setting for individual apps?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Ozo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am

Solution here to slow boot time. I ran this fix and it now boots at light speed.
The problem was due to my swap being encrypted. So the local-premount script in initramfs was waiting for a swap device that was not available, until it timed out. The relevant message was gave up waiting for suspend/resume device.

To disable this (as resuming from swap is not possible with an encrypted swap, and I don't use hibernation anyway), I modified this file: /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. In this file, a line with RESUME=none (instead of the UUID that was here) will disable waiting for a resume device.

Run sudo update-initramfs -u to apply the changes.

System now boots normally.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1013830 ... ume-device
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

I would like to pursue this but in a new thread please. See link below.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=270632
knezivo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by knezivo »

Working perfect Linux Mint Tara beta release on my laptop. Only not working perfect is notification. System is stable.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Installed 19 cinnamon last night and so far works pretty good. wine not working and gdebi not working unless you start it in a terminal with sudo gksudo no longer works in 19.
other than that everything is fast and looks good.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Works for some but not others, very strange. Mine works perfectly now that Chrome and .debi are installed. I do not use notifications. It is hard to believe this is the beta. I have seen some operating systems which took a year to sort out major problems (Windows 10).

There are not even problems like when 18 emerged. I remember many, drivers were not right etc. etc. I had no screen tearing with 19, perfect.

Congratulations for getting it right so soon after the beta was released. You must have had a battalion of techs working night and day or perhaps the wee folk aided you, hmm. :)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

kc1di wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 am gksudo no longer works in 19
:shock:
Hopefully that will be fixed soon! I haven't tested the Mint 19 editions yet but that does come as a surprise.
Ozo wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:00 am It took more than 4 hours to download the iso. Is that normal or am I just slow?
That does seem slow, just downloaded the Mint 19 Xfce ISO at approx 1.12 - 1.15MB/s; took about 25 minutes for the complete download, using the University of Kent UK Mirror Service.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

kc1di wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 am Installed 19 cinnamon last night and so far works pretty good. wine not working and gdebi not working unless you start it in a terminal with sudo gksudo no longer works in 19.
Is it faster than 18.3? Not only booting but operation also.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

That does seem slow, just downloaded the Mint 19 Xfce ISO at approx 1.12 - 1.15MB/s; took about 25 minutes for the complete download, using the University of Kent UK Mirror Service.
[/quote]

I downloaded the torrent this time in exactly 8 1/2 minutes and then made a bootable usb drive while I checked the sha256 which was fine. The entire process took only eleven minutes. :D
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Ozo wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 am exactly 8 1/2 minutes ...
The entire process took only eleven minutes. :D
I downloaded a couple of Linux ISOs using my mate's phone hotspot last Saturday & was getting similar speeds (i.e. about 3x the transfer rate I get on my home connection). He's got loads of data left which the provider will swipe at the bill date. My phone connection is dead slow, unfortunately.

It'll be worth trying a download at the local brewpub, where they have fibre broadband.

BTW I use

Code: Select all

wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python
for my speed tests.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:17 am
kc1di wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:12 am Installed 19 cinnamon last night and so far works pretty good. wine not working and gdebi not working unless you start it in a terminal with sudo gksudo no longer works in 19.
Is it faster than 18.3? Not only booting but operation also.
Seems faster to launch programs, but had done no real testing of actual speeds so it may just be perception.
some have said boot times are slower but can't see that here.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

That can depend on several factors. The server distance, its connection speed, your connection speed.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Can confirm that GDebi has now been updated and fixed in cinnamon.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

JerryF wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:29 pm
That can depend on several factors. The server distance, its connection speed, your connection speed.
Like I said before, "I downloaded the torrent this time in exactly 8 1/2 minutes and then made a bootable usb drive while I checked the sha256 which was fine. The entire process took only eleven minutes." :D
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

Running the xfce version. As of this afternoon, most of the problems have been fixed including gdebi. From the beginning though, 19 has booted and shutdown faster than 18.3, but not as fast as 17. Usb drives mount faster than in 18, but not as fast as 17. As far as general running goes, it seems to run a bit faster than either 18.3 or 17. I rather like it!
I've tested it on core2 duo, i5 2nd gen (sandybridge), and i5 3rd gen (ivybridge). All thinkpad laptops. All intel graphics. I've not found anything that the 4.15 kernel doesn't like on this array of hardware.

Bob

Return to “Introduce Yourself”