[SOLVED] Is dual booting a security issue?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CupidsHelper

[SOLVED] Is dual booting a security issue?

Post by CupidsHelper »

If I, for example dual boot LM 18.3 and LM 19, would this have any security issues? Please provide links, if you have any that state it is or is not a security issue. Thanks. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Is dual booting a security issue?

Post by jimallyn »

The only way I can see dual booting being a security issue is if one of the installed operating systems is Windows. As long as the installed operating systems are secure, which Linux generally is, I don't see why it would matter how many of them you have installed.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

To the best of my knowledge any user of LM 18.3 and LM 19 can see/edit/delete any and all files/folders/programs on the entire computer, without needing a User or Root password.
I would call that a security issue... But that is not a new thing, people like it that way.
so You can't let a friend or family member use your computer "for just a minute" to check their email or their whataps.

If that is not a concern for you, then there are Zero security issues having Many OSs on the same computer.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Encrypt local users accounts /home folders then no no real security issues when duel booting different versions of Linux.

Issues start when you're also booting with Windows and sharing files between it and Linux. You can download a file with a Windows virus in Linux, while it won't effect it, you can infect the Windows machine when sharing that file...but then its the Windows users responsibility to deal with all that rubbish.
sdibaja
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sdibaja »

Good advice Mattyboy
Mattyboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 am Encrypt local users accounts /home folders then no no real security issues when duel booting different versions of Linux.
can that encrypted folder be deleted by another user?
if so, would it require a root password?

The key to preserving Data is off machine Backups. Daily, or more often for Important Data.

Caution with Windows 10 is advised. It can do and Update that "helpfully" captures more drive space, formatting your non-ntfs partitions = Linux. When it finishes you have Only W10 left on your machine. It happened to me, Once.
Peter
Mate desktop https://wiki.debian.org/MATE
Debian GNU/Linux operating system: https://www.debian.org/download
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

as someone who multi_boots just about everything in sight,
and I've not yet seem anything that could be an security issue,
- even with the Windows Operating System.

the trick IMHO is not keep anything sensitive on your machine:
- backups is what they say, don't they.

BTW: I've managed to let my guard down, just the once,,
and it was of course a dual_boot with win-10 . . .
- - need I say anymore ?.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:18 am can that encrypted folder be deleted by another user?
I imagine so if they have the root password yes.

Its easy enough to create and delete accounts ( including /home files ) if you have that.

Use

Code: Select all

sudo passwd 
to set a different root pass, make it different from login passwords, even the admin ( your ) account. You don't give normal users access to root privileges anyway.

You could delete anything, in theory, from a live boot ( OR a multi Linux boot scenario on none currently mounted system essential drives ) anyway but because its encrypted not access the files without the password.
Last edited by Mattyboy on Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

sdibaja wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm To the best of my knowledge any user of LM 18.3 and LM 19 can see/edit/delete any and all files/folders/programs on the entire computer, without needing a User or Root password.
I would call that a security issue... But that is not a new thing, people like it that way.
That's not entirely correct. If you're logged in as a user, you cannot delete system folders and files without becoming root or using the sudo command.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am the trick IMHO is not keep anything sensitive on your machine:
Those are two entirely different things, though. A backup means that you have a copy (or copies) of all important data... it doesn't mean that there is no sensitive data on your machine.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

CupidsHelper wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm If I, for example dual boot LM 18.3 and LM 19, would this have any security issues? Please provide links, if you have any that state it is or is not a security issue. Thanks. :)
As long as folder and file permissions remain as default, then no, you shouldn't have any security issues.

Now, if someone had physical access to your computer and that person can boot a Live DVD/USB, then security is compromised.
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

jimallyn wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:59 pm The only way I can see dual booting being a security issue is if one of the installed operating systems is Windows. As long as the installed operating systems are secure, which Linux generally is, I don't see why it would matter how many of them you have installed.
Thank you, kindly. :) *Side note, sad about Github. MS owns it now. "Embrace, extend, and extinguish." :cry: There is Gitlab and others. :D
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

sdibaja wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:20 pm To the best of my knowledge any user of LM 18.3 and LM 19 can see/edit/delete any and all files/folders/programs on the entire computer, without needing a User or Root password.
so You can't let a friend or family member use your computer "for just a minute" to check their email or their whataps.

If that is not a concern for you, then there are Zero security issues having Many OSs on the same computer.
Thanks. Time to find a good hiding place for the power cable. :wink:
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Mattyboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:48 am Encrypt local users accounts /home folders then no no real security issues when duel booting different versions of Linux.

Issues start when you're also booting with Windows and sharing files between it and Linux. You can download a file with a Windows virus in Linux, while it won't effect it, you can infect the Windows machine when sharing that file...but then its the Windows users responsibility to deal with all that rubbish.
Thank you. Good idea encrypt the home folders, yes.
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

sdibaja wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:18 am Good advice Mattyboy
can that encrypted folder be deleted by another user?

The key to preserving Data is off machine Backups. Daily, or more often for Important Data.

Caution with Windows 10 is advised. It can do and Update that "helpfully" captures more drive space, formatting your non-ntfs partitions = Linux. When it finishes you have Only W10 left on your machine. It happened to me, Once.
Yes, I agree backups are a must. :)
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Pierre wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am as someone who multi_boots just about everything in sight,
and I've not yet seem anything that could be an security issue,
- even with the Windows Operating System.

the trick IMHO is not keep anything sensitive on your machine:

BTW: I've managed to let my guard down, just the once,,
and it was of course a dual_boot with win-10 . . .
- - need I say anymore ?.
:(
True. Thanks for sharing. :) Yep win 10 is a dream for MS, all the spyware that is built into it. :roll:
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Mattyboy wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:02 am
sdibaja wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:18 am can that encrypted folder be deleted by another user?
I imagine so if they have the root password yes.

Its easy enough to create and delete accounts ( including /home files ) if you have that.

Use

Code: Select all

sudo passwd 
to set a different root pass, make it different from login passwords, even the admin ( your ) account. You don't give normal users access to root privileges anyway.

You could delete anything, in theory, from a live boot ( OR a multi Linux boot scenario on none currently mounted system essential drives ) anyway but because its encrypted not access the files without the password.
Loving the encryption tech!! :D
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:13 am
That's not entirely correct. If you're logged in as a user, you cannot delete system folders and files without becoming root or using the sudo command.
Good to know.
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

Moem wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:22 am
Pierre wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am the trick IMHO is not keep anything sensitive on your machine:
Those are two entirely different things, though. A backup means that you have a copy (or copies) of all important data... it doesn't mean that there is no sensitive data on your machine.
As others have stated, encryption seems to be the best option sensitive data on your machine. 8)
CupidsHelper

Post by CupidsHelper »

JerryF wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 am
CupidsHelper wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm If I, for example dual boot LM 18.3 and LM 19, would this have any security issues? Please provide links, if you have any that state it is or is not a security issue. Thanks. :)
As long as folder and file permissions remain as default, then no, you shouldn't have any security issues.

Now, if someone had physical access to your computer and that person can boot a Live DVD/USB, then security is compromised.
Hiding power cable now. :mrgreen:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

CupidsHelper wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 pm As others have stated, encryption seems to be the best option sensitive data on your machine. 8)
... Sure. I'm not sure why you're telling me this. It neither confirms nor contradicts anything I said. :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”