Change display format of date in tray? [SOLVED]

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Domarius

Change display format of date in tray? [SOLVED]

Post by Domarius »

My date is shown at the bottom left of the screen as:
Wed Jun 6

And I'd like it to display as:
2018-06-06

In Windows there was a spot where I could do something like: "yyyy-mm-dd" to customise the format, is there a similar feature in Linux Mint somewhere? I'm having trouble finding the answer anywhere...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Change display format of date in tray?

Post by Schultz »

Domarius wrote:
In Windows there was a spot where I could do something like: "yyyy-mm-dd" to customise the format, is there a similar feature in Linux Mint somewhere?
This is a feature of Mate, not Mint. If there is a way to change it, I can't figure it out. Sorry.
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Hmm ok. Well I am posting in the MATE forum. I've been searching, an answer is still elusive! In the next update maybe?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

ok pay attention closely as i am in mate 17.3 and could look different than version 18, not sure. first you need to install dconf-editor and open it. navigate to org>mate>panel>objects>clock>prefs for some reason i don't have an item named clock and maybe you won't either. maybe it's because i moved clock from bottom panel to top

take a sanpshot of your settings TRUST ME

in the custom-format line move your cursor under the value column and click until you get a box to type in.
enter this format %Y-%m-%d, %H:%M and hit ENTER (the separators can be any characters, you choose dot comma or whatever)

now do the same to format type custom and hit ENTER

if you should somehow click any of the other lines by mistake (and you will) the selection of the checkmarks with UNcheck immediately and your clock will either show or unshow whatever line you click with a checkmark. mind you that even if you click the far side of the dconf to the right it will still activate/deactivate checkmarks.

when you're done you should have your new clock format . click source2 below for more time format.
source1:http://bottlenix.wikidot.com/change-tim ... nel-applet
source2:http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man1/date.1.html

ps: WARNING to UNDO rightclick the clock > preferences > general and move clock from 12 hour to 24 hour or backwards whichever and your clock will return to default and you'll have to go through the hassle of dconf-editor again setting the clock to your preferred format
Last edited by trytip on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

Thank you so much for the clear instructions and screenshots. It didn't seem to work but perhaps it's due to a difference between our versions, like you said?

I made the change, nothing happened, so I restarted, and it's still the same, here's a screenshot.

Screenshot at 2018-06-08 09-35-29.png
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Domarius wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 pm ...
Change the contents of the format value from 12-hour to custom. The change is immediate, no need to log out.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

forgot to mention my format was in 24hr if you want it displayed 9:35 PM use %Y-%m-%d, %I:%M %p hope i calculated that right (i'm not in mate right now)
as catweazel mentioned you'll need to change format delete 12-hour and paste custom
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

catweazel wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:04 pm Change the contents of the format value from 12-hour to custom. The change is immediate, no need to log out.
trytip wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:22 pm forgot to mention my format was in 24hr if you want it displayed 9:35 PM use %Y-%m-%d, %I:%M %p hope i calculated that right (i'm not in mate right now)
as catweazel mentioned you'll need to change format delete 12-hour and paste custom
Thanks guys, it worked! I hadn't updated "format" to "custom", that was my mistake - the fact that the settings were different threw me off a bit but I should have spotted that.

And I have updated it with the new 12 hour format, thank you. I've saved all this in my notes, including the links.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Domarius,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Since I use Linux Mint KDE as my regular desktop, I do not go into the other editions that much except perhaps the Cinnamon edition. So, I did not realize how to change the Mate system tray date and time format either.

Good instructions on how to do that from members.

Just FYI: While researching this, I also found these articles that claim you can use "Gnome Tweak Tool" and some other stuff to change the date and time.Not sure that all of these pertain to adjusting the system tray panel clock's date and time.

clock - Customizing tray/taskbar date display in Ubuntu beginning with 17.10 - Ask Ubuntu
https://askubuntu.com/questions/966576/ ... with-17-10

GitHub - stuartlangridge/gnome-shell-clock-override: Override the Gnome Shell clock with a new time format or text of your choice. Works with new versions of Shell such as 3.18
https://github.com/stuartlangridge/gnom ... k-override

How to install GNOME Tweak Tool on Ubuntu 16.04
https://www.linuxhelp.com/how-to-instal ... ntu-16-04/

How to install Unity Tweak Tool for Ubuntu 16.04 and up - ubuntoid
http://www.ubuntoid.com/install-unity-t ... ntu-16-04/

[SOLVED] Display the full date and time
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2359588

GitHub - Daniel-Khodabakhsh/datetime-format:
Gnome extension which allows users to customise the datetime format on the status bar and date menu.
https://github.com/Daniel-Khodabakhsh/datetime-format

Frippery Move Clock - GNOME Shell Extensions
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/2/move-clock/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Domarius

Re: Change display format of date in tray? [SOLVED]

Post by Domarius »

phd21 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:30 pm Hi Domarius,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.
Thank you :) Yes I will keep that list of links in my notes with the others. This has been very helpful.

BTW Why did you personally choose KDE? The only thing I know is Cinnamon is more smooth and swooshy and MATE is more stable and minimalist, so I went with the latter.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI Domarius,

You are welcome...

FYI: I have been trying to get the Gnome Extensions to work in the Linux Mint 18.3 Mate edition for more options, but so far I have not been successful with that. Anyone know if this is possible and how to do it?

FYI-2: Like a lot of people in the forum would recommend, including me, when I first decided to switch from MS Windows, I tried all editions of Linux Mint (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, and Xfce). I create bootable DVD's of each one and tried them. Depending upon your computer hardware, one Linux Mint edition may work much better than another.

I chose KDE because I could change the desktop in practically any way I want and it natively runs KDE and QT apps along with GTK/Gnome applications. Cinnamon and KDE require more computer resources than Mate or Xfce and my system would not run Cinnamon properly because of a lousy video card (ie: software rendering mode). Mate is supposed to be the most hardware compatible and Xfce required the least amount of computer resources. FYI: I was able to run KDE 13 thru 17.x on a 32-bit system with only 2gb of system memory.

But, Linux Mint is dropping KDE from their officially supported systems. KDE is still supported through 2021, and anyone can still install a newer Mate or Xfce then install KDE into that. As I understand it, Linux Mint version 19 + will not include a KDE system.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Domarius

Post by Domarius »

phd21 wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:21 am Hope this helps ...
Yes thank you, it was enlightening.
andreyswit wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:10 pm Hi

I think i should change the documentation, thanks for letting me know

Peter
Happy to draw attention to it :)

Return to “MATE”