gksudo dropped in LM 19 - goodness knows what else

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

gksudo dropped in LM 19 - goodness knows what else

Post by pbear »

I periodically drop by the Ubuntu forum to see what sort of fun they're having and noticed a thread about gksudo. Turns out it has been dropped in Ubuntu 18.04 and it's not yet clear what one is supposed to use instead.

Intrigued, I fire up the Cinnamon 19 beta I have installed in VirtualBox. Try running gksudo xed. No such command. Just to be sure, try man gksudo. Nope. Per linked thread, sudo -H xed works, but unclear whether that avoids the permissions issues for which we were using gksudo in the first place. To round out the picture, I take a look at the Mint Release Notes and the Ubuntu Release Notes, neither of which mention the change.

Wonder what else has changed. Not asking for advice. Just running up the flag pole as FYI to the community.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

gksu dropped in LM 19

Post by pdc_2 »

so this has been mentioned in various threads etc

eg https://itsfoss.com/gksu-replacement-ubuntu/

if before you would have done

Code: Select all

gksudo gedit /etc/default/apport
now they deferentially request you do

gedit admin:///etc/default/apport

this link also covers the topic https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/04/g ... heres.html
Sir Charles

Re: gksudo dropped in LM 19 - goodness knows what else

Post by Sir Charles »

It has been (is being) discussed in L M Forums as well. See:viewtopic.php?f=61&t=268140
pbear wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 am Wonder what else has changed.
I haven't been running LM 19 beta that much yet, but one change, major in my opinion, that I have noticed, is the change to the update policy. Fire up the Update Manager and have a look at the preferences and all the already by default checked options and levels. There is now the possibility to "opt in" for automatic updates.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Short summary:

For editing system config files, use xed in combination with admin://. For example, for editing /etc/default/grub:

xed admin:///etc/default/grub
(Note the three consecutive dashes)

The first time you use admin:// in a session, you'll be asked for your password twice.

For file management with root permissions, use pkexec:

Cinnamon:

pkexec nemo
Mate:

pkexec caja
Xfce:

pkexec thunar
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Mint 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. So pretty much all changes in Ubuntu 18.04 not related to a specific DE will also change in Mint 19.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Fun fact:

The only distribution that enables a one-to-one substitution of pkexec for gksu automatically for its default editor AND file manager is Xubuntu 18. OK ... OK ... there are 15642 Linux distros out there so there may be another.

pkexec requires a policykit "rule" for ever application that wants to use it. In Xubuntu one is already created for thunar ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.xfce.thunar.policy ) and one is already created for mousepad ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.mousepad.policy ).

In Mint's XFCE edition there is the same one for thunar but none for xed. At least not in the Beta version so far.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

When discussing Linux with folks in real life, I'm careful to caution, "Yes it's free, but it's also complicated and very poorly documented."

Enough. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

pbear wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am "Yes it's free, but it's also complicated and very poorly documented."
Complicated: not really, usually.... Poorly documented: absolutely! Developers like to develop, and unfortunately not to explain. This is a real shortcoming, but that's where other people can jump in to help....
slipstick
Level 6
Level 6

Post by slipstick »

pbear wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am When discussing Linux with folks in real life, I'm careful to caution, "Yes it's free, but it's also complicated and very poorly documented."
I just started reading this. It is intended to be humorous (I think), but there is a lot of truth in there and much of it applicable to Linux, unfortunately.
The UNIX-HATERS Handbook
Last edited by slipstick on Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

the strength of the forum

Post by pdc_2 »

Yes it's free, but it's also complicated
I guess if one has got to use gksu or gksudo then one has climbed part-way up the mountain; so kudos there: more expert than one might think!!

often what seems hard is because it is new; practice makes permanent;

If we can't practice using the script; or technique; or phrase;

then in a nice friendly forum like Mint, we can ask others for help; what I really like is to see folks who I regard as really knowledgable; posting issues they have had; and asking for help from others; I think that is great;

there seem to be folks on the forum who may well use linux in their work each day; they post very fluent and deeply experienced pieces of advice; how great is that;

what I taken on board recently was the coaching to "advocate then enquire": so you say out loud what you are thinking; and you ask others for their views; their views help one re-assess one's one views; then you say 'em again; changed;

whilst Bob Geldof sang (tongue in cheeh!!) ......."I am an island, entire of myself I am an island" .....maybe it doesn't work for the rest of us ..

(I am sure this is going to get shunted off to Chat!!)
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

It appears lxqt-sudo is still available and does pretty much the same thing.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

It will cause a massive sudo abuse. :(
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

pbear wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 am ...
Wonder what else has changed. Not asking for advice. Just running up the flag pole as FYI to the community.
All releases have "Release Notes" and "Announcements". Also, highly recommend reading Clem's LM blog.

Go to Download > All Versions > Select 19, then select your Desktop & Arch, and you'll find the links to "Releases Notes" and "Announcements". At the bottom, there is a link to "Ubuntu release notes". This won't cover everything, but it's a good start :-)
Gksu, which used GTK+, was removed and all the tools which were using it were migrated to pkexec.
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tara_cinn ... atsnew.php
https://linuxmint.com/rel_tara_mate_whatsnew.php
LM 19 is based on Ubuntu 18.04. If there is some software you use a lot, you could search for it and see what version will be installed on 18.04, thus LM 19. I was kind of disappointed to see gimp 2.8 and not 2.10. At least libreoffice is 6.0.3, although 6.0.4 is out.

I'm on 17.3 now, so I get to learn all about systemd, journald, etc. I've been keeping up to date on gimp, libreoffice, and some other utilities and development stuff. The biggest change will be desktop. I'm currently using KDE, going to try Mate. I may go to debian or suse, if I can't break from kde. I like the rolling release of Arch, but I've had major problems with it. The LTS is a little to long for me.

UPDATE: I see you already looked at the Release Notes. You need to go one link further, "What's new in Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon".
Last edited by lmuserx4849 on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: the strength of the forum

Post by Moem »

pdc_2 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:09 pm I guess if one has got to use gksu or gksudo then one has climbed part-way up the mountain; so kudos there: more expert than one might think!!
This is true. I've been using Mint for two years now and I've never felt the need to use either.
(I am sure this is going to get shunted off to Chat!!)
You seem to be trying to force my hand. Don't do that, okay?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

pbear wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:01 am When discussing Linux with folks in real life, I'm careful to caution, "Yes it's free, but it's also complicated and very poorly documented."

Enough. So long, and thanks for all the fish.
Just to clarify:
“Free software” is a matter of liberty, not price.

“Open source” is something different: it has a very different philosophy based on different values. Its practical definition is different too, but nearly all open source programs are in fact free. We explain the difference in Why “Open Source” misses the point of Free Software.

“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
Out of curiosity, how are non-linux environments better documented or easier?

man pages are maintained, applications have [h]elp options, the installation doc directory (/usr/share/doc) has additional information, and there is always the source. In the early '90's, when users bought distributions at a brick and mortar store (i.e., CompUSA) there were hardcopy manuals. Today RedHat, OpenSuSE, archlinux have great online documentation. Various applications have good doc too (i.e., libreoffice, gimp...). In this environment, we all should be volunteering or donating money to projects. There are also hard copy books: Linux Bible, How Linux Works, UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook, Debian Handbook.... As far as desktops go, imho, KDE is much better documented than GNOME and its' forks.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

altair4 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am pkexec requires a policykit "rule" for ever application that wants to use it. In Xubuntu one is already created for thunar ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.xfce.thunar.policy ) and one is already created for mousepad ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.mousepad.policy ).

In Mint's XFCE edition there is the same one for thunar but none for xed. At least not in the Beta version so far.
I put the pkexec xed problem, or lack of a polkit rule, on the Mint 19 cinnamon blog. Odyseus answered with a work around pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY xed. Lots of typing but works good. Or another way to run xed privileged is to run it from within a privileged nemo, pkexec nemo then open up your file with xed and privileges are inherited.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

greerd wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:09 am
altair4 wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 am pkexec requires a policykit "rule" for ever application that wants to use it. In Xubuntu one is already created for thunar ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.xfce.thunar.policy ) and one is already created for mousepad ( /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.mousepad.policy ).

I put the pkexec xed problem, or lack of a polkit rule, on the Mint 19 cinnamon blog. Odyseus answered with a work around pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY xed. Lots of typing but works good. Or another way to run xed privileged is to run it from within a privileged nemo, pkexec nemo then open up your file with xed and privileges are inherited.
This is a much better way to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=270721#p1478156

... and I've put that on the blog, as well. :)
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:04 am This is a much better way to do it:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=270721#p1478156

... and I've put that on the blog, as well. :)
Yea, I tried that, and it works but there is no Elevated Privileges red bar across the top, I like the red bar. Hopefully they'll add a polkit rule for xed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

greerd wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:09 am

Just for giggles I copied /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.mousepad.policy from Xubuntu, changed all the references from mousepad to xed, removed some fluff, and ended up with this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">
<policyconfig>

<vendor>xed</vendor>
 <vendor_url>http://gnome.org/</vendor_url>
 <icon_name>text-editor</icon_name>

<action id="org.gnome.xed">

<description>Run xed as root</description>

<message>Authentication is required to run xed as root.</message>

<defaults>
 <allow_any>no</allow_any>
 <allow_inactive>auth_admin</allow_inactive>
 <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
 </defaults>
 <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.path">/usr/bin/xed</annotate>
 <annotate key="org.freedesktop.policykit.exec.allow_gui">true</annotate>
 </action>

</policyconfig
Then added it as: /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.xed.policy to Cinnamon 19.
Seems to work:
pkexec-zed.png
I did get a curious error when closing it though - which I do not get when I run pkexec mousepad in Xubuntu: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported

Anyway, I'm not recommending anyone else do this as I'm obviously doing something wrong since this whole thing would take about 15 nanoseconds for someone who knew what they were doing.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

altair4 wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 pm
Cool, I used your file and it looks to be working good. I not getting any 'xed-position not supported' error. I added '_keep' to allow_active similar to org.nemo.root.policy (auth_admin_keep) which I think starts a timer. But yea, it would be nice for an official rule!

Thanks

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1/policyconfig.dtd">

<policyconfig>

<vendor>xed</vendor>
 <vendor_url>http://gnome.org/</vendor_url>
 <icon_name>text-editor</icon_name>

<action id="org.gnome.xed">
   <description>Run xed as root</description>