Specially Donated Linux Computers

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LDonegan

Specially Donated Linux Computers

Post by LDonegan »

I am a USAF Veteran and I repair older Computers and once these machines are physically, electronically repaired. If any have Microsoft Products are upon a unit said software is removed and I then install Linux Mint especially if the machine came from a unknown source. I install Linux Mint upon machines that I set aside and donate to Veterans returning home from Overseas duty to the USA. Each machine is setup equally alike. Those US Veterans returning home generally qualify for a donated machine once I see their respective DD-214 Military Discharge. Once this is seen and it shows to be of Honorable conditions upon discharge such qualifies for a donated computer.

Example: Recently here in NW Montana I got word of a young woman with a set of twins, and a husband out of work in Montana. I contacted our US State Senator advising him of the circumstances and what I was going to do for this young woman. I went out to my vehicle and brought back a Laptop and a InkJet Printer to the home. Both adults in this home said that they could not afford such a luxury. I explained that was being donated to them with the intent of helping get them started to provide for their family needs.

As of this last Monday I got a email stating they got their first pay check and this amount received after having been using Linux Mint and the PC donated to them they now had the chance to provide for family needs and pay their bills on time in a very very long long time. One footnote when I told them this was a donated PC and Printer they both were in tears as I left their home with the PC I delivered. Linux Mint is the easiest Operating System and very smooth in its operation. It is a good feeling to donate something to someone without violation of copyright or patent laws and still help make a much needed difference in another persons life. Thank you Linux Mint Team.

Lucky Donegan C.I.S. Ph.D.
PC Systems and Software Engineer
Polson, Montana USA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Specially Donated Linux Computers

Post by AZgl1800 »

That is great, and I commend you in what you are doing.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I also collect old computers, install Linux on them, and give them away to people who need one. If I were donating to veterans, I wouldn't care what kind of discharge they had. If they need a computer, I will give it to them.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jimallyn wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 9:19 pm I also collect old computers, install Linux on them, and give them away to people who need one. If I were donating to veterans, I wouldn't care what kind of discharge they had. If they need a computer, I will give it to them.
Lots of kudos to you for the noble task. Do you know how many have you donated so far?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Wonderful. Good job!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:08 pmDo you know how many have you donated so far?
Not a lot, maybe a dozen or so. I am somewhat limited in that I haven't found enough people to give me their old computers to rehabilitate. I also have installed Linux on a bunch of computers belonging to family, friends, and acquaintances.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

@Lucky: Bless you! We can not do enough for veterans :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

jimallyn wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:35 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:08 pmDo you know how many have you donated so far?
Not a lot, maybe a dozen or so. I am somewhat limited in that I haven't found enough people to give me their old computers to rehabilitate. I also have installed Linux on a bunch of computers belonging to family, friends, and acquaintances.
A warrior for the cause of open source in general and LM in particular!!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”