Gloria RC 1

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Joejc

Re: Gloria RC 1

Post by Joejc »

I didn't know it was out where can I download?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

How can one enable the root account and remove the "quotes" from the terminal window? There use to be a Mint utility to do this after install.

Other than that, hats off to Clem and the Mint team. What a great release!

TIA
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

kwisher: The root password is now enabled by default, it's the same as your user's password. This will be explained and underlined in the announcements. For the fortunes you need to edit your bashrc... it's supposed to be moved to mintDesktop but it didn't make it in time..
icefire

Post by icefire »

Thanks for the info TDAPPLE. Am downloading as we speak. Thanks to Clem and the gang for the hard work in getting Mint 7 on the road.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Yes, I like it a lot. Just posted in About Mint Editions. Nice work from only a users level of experience.

lexon
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

cyfer, with development versions there's always a small risk, but that said, the whole point of a Release Candidate is that clem, exploder and the rest of team think it's ready for release, and just want to open it up to the community (e.g. to test on a much wider variety of hardware). Yes, there are likely to be changes made before the final release, but no, you shouldn't have to reinstall completely, you should just be able to do a simple upgrade (or possibly a slightly complicated one if dependencies change).
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

mintMenu is always improving, I like the new "favorites" layout, with separators ! Fonts are maybe too small for "All applications" but I understand the need to display full names and more information on these items...

Also, mintWelcome is well done, the contributing buttons are really asking to be clicked :-)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

This firefox theme blends perfectly as well!
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Dupoint

Post by Dupoint »

Does mint come with a partition editor like gparted?
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

It (almost) certainly does, at least in the live CD bit. To be honest though the partitioner built into ubiquity (the installer) is good enough for even the most complicated tasks in manual mode (I believe it uses gparted as a backend). And yes, you can definitely get it from the repo if necessary.
Dupoint

Post by Dupoint »

cool, :D
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Where & how should bugs for Mint-7 RC1 be reported?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

kwisher wrote:Where & how should bugs for Mint-7 RC1 be reported?
Wait for official RC release... with release notes a feedback thread and the works...
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

oops, didn't really notice it hadn't been officially released. I have only noticed a few minor issues so far.

Cyfer: gnome do is there, but this time it's not running by default. You can select it from the accessories menu. Note that its default keybinding conflicts with mintMenu's, so you might want to change it.
Enoch Root

Post by Enoch Root »

"..For the fortunes you need to edit your bashrc..."

However, by default, there is NO .bashrc, correct?

Love the new look, Clem. Nice work!
Borsook

Post by Borsook »

Is there ATM a mint4win that works with Gloria?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

Borsook wrote:Is there ATM a mint4win that works with Gloria?
check the release notes... i dont think mint4win works right now,,,
kprowell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kprowell »

Last night I was installing Windows 7 RC on my Dell Latitude D810. Though it is a HUGE improvement over Vista, I was left feeling empty and not fully satisfied. Then today while at a client, I went to distrowatch and saw Mint 7 RC1. As soon as I got home I downloaded it and installed it on the same laptop. For a minute I was tempted to dual boot............I didn't. This distro is awesome and I feel completely at home now. Sorry Windows 7. Maybe it just took too long for MS to release a decent OS.
terdon

Post by terdon »

By the way, if anyone want to enable the root acocunt, or change its password you should do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
This will first ask you for your password (sudo) and THEN for the new UNIX password you want to use for the root account. After that you should be able to switch to the superuser account by using

Code: Select all

su
I may be paranoid but I really don't like the idea of sharing one password between the root and normal user accounts.

PS. Great job guys! As usual...

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”