Will choosing "Erase disc and install Linux Mint" wipe out my windows partition?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Louieb 62
Level 1
Level 1

Will choosing "Erase disc and install Linux Mint" wipe out my windows partition?

Post by Louieb 62 »

Hello! When I get to the installation type it gives you the normal options, install along side, erase disc, something else. Last time I reinstalled I did it along side and I hated it. I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to lose my windows partition just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Will choosing "Erase disc and install Linux Mint" wipe out my windows partition?

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Louieb 62 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)

I think "Erase disc and install Linux Mint" says it all so yes you will lose the win partition :wink:

Create the partition and swap you want to install to with gparted from the live media then choose the other option.
ImageImage

tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Will choosing "Erase disc and install Linux Mint" wipe out my windows partition?

Post by tgwilt »

Louieb 62 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 pm
Hello! When I get to the installation type it gives you the normal options, install along side, erase disc, something else. Last time I reinstalled I did it along side and I hated it. I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to lose my windows partition just yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Yes, it will completly erase the disk. That way all of your disk will be available for Linux use. ISTR that there is an option that says 'multiple operating systems detected. Install Linux beside them?' Choose this, and Linux will be installed on free space of the hard drive, grub will be installed, and upon starting your computer, you can choose which OS you want to use. Even though I hardly use Windows, it's still on my hard drive and I can boot into it if needed. If I decided I didn't need it anymore, I could just backup my home directory and reinstall Linux on the whole drive. I've tried Timeshift, even though there are reports of it not working, and it worked for me.

If you need programs that only work well with windows, keep the partition. If not, you can backup your Windows home directory. This is handy if you want to save some of the documents, music, and downloads. Did I mention the importance of backups?

At the end of the day, decide what works for you and go with that! You are free to choose, so do what you want to do. Hope that answer helps.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Louieb 62, .......
Louieb 62 wrote:.
What you want to do is to use the manual "Something else" install and partitioning method.

But first, we need to know your computer details or specifications and hard-disk Partition table. From the Live LM USB/DVD, please provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

Legacy BIOS and UEFI install modes are different.

OEM UEFI computers = post-2011, ie beginning with pre-installed Win 8.

Louieb 62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louieb 62 »

Thanks for all the quick responses, I got my answer. I will try and get some more info tomorrow, at work right now.

Louieb 62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louieb 62 »

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 pm
What you want to do is to use the manual "Something else" install and partitioning method.

But first, we need to know your computer details or specifications and hard-disk Partition table. From the Live LM USB/DVD, please provide the Terminal output for inxi -Fxz and sudo parted -l.

Legacy BIOS and UEFI install modes are different.

OEM UEFI computers = post-2011, ie beginning with pre-installed Win 8.

the sda5 partition is what I got when I reinstalled along side the first time. sda4 was my original. I don't want it like this, Can I get just one partition without killing the windows partition?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2018-06-12 19-23-33.png
Screenshot from 2018-06-12 19-18-03.png
Screenshot from 2018-06-12 18-50-14.png

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Louieb 62, .......
1. Use the "Something else" install method.
2. Delete all the 3 Linux partitions, ie /sda3, /sda5 and /sda6, one-by-one, by clicking - . This will create a new "free space". Remember not to touch the Windows ntfs partitions.
3. Then follow this Tutorial beginning at Step 4 ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
4. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /sda.

P S - Please look up Youtube videos on similar Tutorials.

Louieb 62
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Louieb 62 »

michael louwe wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:41 pm
@ Louieb 62, .......
1. Use the "Something else" install method.
2. Delete all the 3 Linux partitions, ie /sda3, /sda5 and /sda6, one-by-one, by clicking - . This will create a new "free space". Remember not to touch the Windows ntfs partitions.
3. Then follow this Tutorial beginning at Step 4 ... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=122276 (manual partitioning Tutorial for Legacy BIOS mode and MBR/ms-dos disks)
4. Ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the internal hard-drive or /sda.

P S - Please look up Youtube videos on similar Tutorials.

Thank you...I will check it out in the morning.

Return to “Newbie Questions”