(solved) Canon MB2050

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartineM

Re: Canon MB2050

Post by MartineM »

Did a reboot unpluged usb kabel, tried adding Wifi printer again in printers, same error as above.
Installed Xsane and did a scan and it worked, I thought YES it work yeah.

tried simple scan and same error as above, closed xsane and launched it again and I get this error now. :(
"error during read: invalid argument"

Printer also still not works on Wifi.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ok I tested the printer/scanner through my smartphone and that works so it is not the printer.
I started over, removed printer installed driver when attached on USB.
Now printer and scanner are working over usb and the scanner through WIfi but not the printer over Wifi :mrgreen:
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

eh bien;

if you wish to use wifi to print; if you disconnect the usb cable;

find the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside the ADMINISTRATION folder); ........

click the ADD button; ..... top left .. pause ........ ....... now click on the network printer arrow that appears ....... pause ............... .let the system look around to see what is there ........ does it show your Canon? (If the Canon has been allowed to talk to your router, it should ..)

If it finds your Canon, press all the buttons to accept and set it up ...... you can add wifi to the title the computer suggests .. so it is clear it is the wifi driver ............

ca marche?
add.png
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

pdc_2 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:07 pm eh bien;

if you wish to use wifi to print; if you disconnect the usb cable;

find the PRINTERS folder; (usually inside the ADMINISTRATION folder); ........

click the ADD button; ..... top left .. pause ........ ....... now click on the network printer arrow that appears ....... pause ............... .let the system look around to see what is there ........ does it show your Canon? (If the Canon has been allowed to talk to your router, it should ..)

If it finds your Canon, press all the buttons to accept and set it up ...... you can add wifi to the title the computer suggests .. so it is clear it is the wifi driver ............

ca marche?
add.png
MartineM wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:23 am I installed Linux mint 19 today and now I can not even get the printer working. :mrgreen:
I tried to add network printer but I get a error while installing the drivers for IPP network printer via dns-SD.
When I get the window "describe printer" and take apply I get this error.
"CUPS server error. There was a error during the CuPS operation. 'Server-error-internal-error'."

"System: Host: martine-Aspire-E5-731 Kernel: 4.15.0-20-generic x86_64
bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara"

pdc_2 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm what does

Code: Select all

lpinfo -v
give in a terminal please?
martine@martine-Aspire-E5-731:~$ lpinfo -v
network beh
file cups-brf:/
network lpd
network ipp
network ipps
network socket
network https
direct hp
network http
direct hpfax
network dnssd://Canon%20MB2000%20series._ipp._tcp.local/?uuid=00000000-0000-1000-8000-F80D602FB065
network ipp://canon.local:631/ipp/print
martine@martine-Aspire-E5-731:~$
I already tried that several times. He finds him but wehn installing gives an error.
pdc_2
Level 10
Level 10

Post by pdc_2 »

I think we should get you to try installing the Canon drivers; that Canon supply;

so go here http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/cont ... 26513.html and click to download and SAVE what will be cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb.tar.gz

open a terminal; copy each command below; line by line; paste into the terminal; one by one; and hit the ENTER key after each paste. (To paste, right-click at the text prompt: the flashing light....... look for PASTE in the menu that appears ..)

cd Downloads

tar -zxvf cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb.tar.gz

cd cnijfilter2-5.00-1-deb

sudo ./install.sh
...... watch the script as it runs; it will ask you questions; it should find the wireless connection; and point you to it;
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

They are installed yesterday. When the driver wants tot detect the printer he only finds him on USB.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MartineM wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 am They are installed yesterday. When the driver wants tot detect the printer he only finds him on USB.
This sounds similar to the problem I had with my Epson. It was a network problem with conf file settings and firewall. Tomorrow, I'll dig out my notes and share them.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 am
MartineM wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:31 am They are installed yesterday. When the driver wants tot detect the printer he only finds him on USB.
This sounds similar to the problem I had with my Epson. It was a network problem with conf file settings and firewall. Tomorrow, I'll dig out my notes and share them.
Thanks.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MartineM,

Hope this helps.

First, turn off Firewall for now.

If possible, check to see if you can set your printer to a static address (as an example: 192.168.1.5)
If the printer doesn't have that feature, you may be able to have your router do that by setting the printer's MAC address to be set to a static address.

Go to this directory /etc/sane.d
(You'll need to have root privileges to do the following)
Create a file called canonmb2050.conf
Put these lines into that file:
usb
net 192.168.1.5 (use the IP address you had set the printer's static address to be)
Save the file.
In the same directory, open the file dll.conf
At the first line without a #, type in canonmb2050.conf and make sure it's on its own line.
Put a # before every line other than the one you just typed in.
Save the file.

Restart Mint.
See if you can access the scanner and printer wirelessly.

If you can, try accessing with the Firewall on.
After Firewall is on, if you can't print or scan, you'll need to add a rule to allow it while the Firewall is on.
This is what adding a rule to Firewall looks like:
Shutter_001.jpg
Good luck!
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Thanks Jerry, I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know. You lost me a bit with the static IP address. I took a printout of the network configuration page of the printer and I see a IPv4 address do I use that one?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Yes, use that one.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:57 pm Yes, use that one.
Ok thanks.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I downloaded the Windows User Manual and on page 254, it looks like you can set the IP address for your printer/scanner.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... &language=
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:15 pm I downloaded the Windows User Manual and on page 254, it looks like you can set the IP address for your printer/scanner.

https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consume ... &language=
If Wlan is set and the IPv4 is in the printout isn't then set already? Or do I have to set it to the obe you gave then?

I'M going to read the manual.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MartineM wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm If Wlan is set and the IPv4 is in the printout isn't then set already? Or do I have to set it to the obe tou gave then?
What happens when any networked equipment is connected (either by wire or wirelessly), the router will set the IPv4 address when it is connected. It may remain the same, but that's not always the case. The printout is showing what the IP is at that moment.

That's why I suggest setting the IP address manually to make sure that it remains the same and that the line net 192.168.1.5 in the instructions will work properly.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

JerryF wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:31 pm
MartineM wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm If Wlan is set and the IPv4 is in the printout isn't then set already? Or do I have to set it to the obe tou gave then?
What happens when any networked equipment is connected (either by wire or wirelessly), the router will set the IPv4 address when it is connected. It may remain the same, but that's not always the case. The printout is showing what the IP is at that moment.

That's why I suggest setting the IP address manually to make sure that it remains the same and that the line net 192.168.1.5 in the instructions will work properly.
Aah ok now I got it. Sorry I was a bit lost there. You'll hear it tommorow if it works. Thanks for your time already.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

MartineM wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 pm Aah ok now I got it. Sorry I was a bit lost there. You'll hear it tommorow if it works. Thanks for your time already.
Please do. I'm interested if my suggestions works.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ok I did what you wrote, gave myself root privileges.
Changed IP on printer
Made the canonmb2050.config
added the line in dll.config and marked all other lines with # (that was a lot of lines. :) )
Did a restart and no scanner and printer found.
MartineM

Post by MartineM »

Ok I do not know exactly how I did it but it works now.

I have put original dll.conf back and removed the printer.conf.
Did a reset on printer configurations in the printer (did this at some point yesterday to)
Removed the printer listed in printers for the second time and installed printer drivers for the 3th time.
I let the driver search through Wifi first and he did not find it still in that menu I connected him with usb and let him search again and then he found the wifi printer. :roll: Does not make much sense but ay both printer and scanner work and that is all I needed.
It is a pity I still can not see printer inktlevels in the printer settings though.

Thanks everyone to take the time to help.
Regards Martine
Last edited by MartineM on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Congratulations on getting your printer/scanner working. :)

There is an applet I believe which shows ink levels. It is called "Ink Level Monitor Applet".

Return to “Printers & Scanners”