Installing Mint on a Chromebook?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0x2620

Installing Mint on a Chromebook?

Post by 0x2620 »

Doesn't appear that there's a terminal emulator. How does one install or run a program on a chromebook? I need to sha256sum the Mint image and burn it to a flash drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing Mint on a Chromebook?

Post by JerryF »

What type of CPU does your Chromebook have? ARM, Intel?
0x2620

Post by 0x2620 »

Pretty sure it's Intel, since there's a sticker on it that says so. I'm not sure how to check since there's no terminal emulator and I'm not sure if it's actually shutting down completely when it does so - there's no boot screen where you can poke around.

edit

I tried logging into a gmail account and installing a terminal emulator "app", but it wants to install it to my phone, not this laptop.

I never realized that Chromebooks sucked so much.

edit

There should be a way to enable android apps on a chromebook, but it doesn't appear to exist on this device. Very, very impressive. What could this thing possibly be used for if you can't install anything on it?
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I asked because Linux can't be installed on an ARM processor.

Chromebooks are a different type of computer. Chrome OS is the operating system and almost everything is done through the browser, not programs.

My partner has one, but he just uses the internet browser to sign up for sub work.

I don't know anything about getting an app to run on a Chromebook. Sorry.
0x2620

Post by 0x2620 »

Well ChromeOS is officially the worst operating system I have ever seen in my life, worse even than Windows 8 and 10. It has almost no programs and no way to install any. Whoever made this sorry thing should be publicly flogged and banned from touching a computer for the rest of their lives.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

For most Chromebooks to run a full install of linux you have to remove the write protection and flash the bios. The exception is if you run Crouton, which will run Linux within ChromeOS.
I have flashed the bios on 2 Chromebooks, it is a PITA. But first you need to look at your hardware and see what options are available to you. If it is a newer Chromebook I would visit the Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/GalliumOS/
Those guys can answer specific questions about flashing your bios and about your computer hardware. Once you have flashed the bios--if you can on your computer--you should be able to run Mint or any Linux distro. If you have an older Acer Chromebook I can give you more info about what to do.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I just looked up your forum name 0x2620. Nice!
0x2620 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:01 pm Well ChromeOS is officially the worst operating system I have ever seen in my life, worse even than Windows 8 and 10. It has almost no programs and no way to install any. Whoever made this sorry thing should be publicly flogged and banned from touching a computer for the rest of their lives.
Well, yes and no. Chromebooks aren't meant to be a laptop computer. They are mostly used in schools. Students get their assignments and complete them by using a Chromebook. Chromebooks are limited in what they can do, and that is on purpose.

If I were in school again (as an adult) and the college used Chromebooks, I don't think I'd mind. They are just a tool to disseminate assignments.

Return to “Beginner Questions”