[Solved]Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Re:Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by Spearmint2 »

shom_ronnie wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:30 am Just to update, the wifi connection dropped again, and i had to manually disconnect and then reconnect. But while doing so i noticed something else, there was a lag in my system, and nothing else is open other than a file that i am copying to my pendrive. Its a large file of about 9gb. Why i am saying this is because for all these while everything seemed fine, just after i started copying the file wifi became erratic, and my computer overall went slow. The interesting part is when i first nioticed this problem the other day, then too i was copying a file to my pendrive, a similar sized file.Is there a possibility of the two being linked in some way.
Please consider the wifi device is possibly failing. Get one of these, it works "out of box" with Linux. It's what I use for wireless. When visiting my metal clad fishing trailer, I can connect in that "faraday cage" with it set by window and neighbor wifi transmitter more than 100 ft away,in his place.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by shom_ronnie »

ok, can you please guide me through, how can i do the steps that you just mentioned. Dont think its doing a secure boot, as efi file isnt there. Not sure about the other two. how to switch to another antenna. But not sure thats the problem here. Because when i was in windows, it worked absolutely fine, no trouble what so ever. Its since in have moved to linux, this has become a problem
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Try a Timeshift restore and if that does not work reinstall the system. Do not complicate it with unnecessary stuff like LVM, encryption, or dual boot. Try to limit any input to the terminal until you test the printer.

After you load the wireless printer from the HP toolbox with usb this time hopefully there will be no wifi problem.

Of course this would be a last resort solution. Good Luck. :)
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Another option to try is the 4.15.x kernel branch to see if that has any resolution for you.

It's a LTS (Long Term Support, five years), where your 4.13.x is not (supported nine months, ending next month), so you'll soon be needing to upgrade to it regardless.

Joe
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Think i will go with a complete wipe of hard disk and then reinstall. that seems to b a better option for me right now. but wil have to back up all my files before that. Will update if after re installation i am still facing any issues. Its going to take me a lot of time to do a compete backup and then restore everything.
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Take a Timeshift snapshot.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

ok..so once i reinstall, i will restore the image taken now. But will still take me a few days because i have to backup my data other than the os part. So will give an update as soon as i am set again. any other suggestions, partition wise or any quick tip because i am going to format the entire hard drive
Thanx
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Personally, I use the default install partitions. In fact I have no idea what they look like right now. I have never had a problem with that so feel no need to alter the partitions. I do not load dual operating systems. I do not encrypt the install. It is the KISS philosophy. :)
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

That certainly is the best way to go. But i like my os and other files separate, so i will be creating two extra partitions. Just wondering, if having an extra boot partition is advisable, right at the beginning of the hdd
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

shom_ronnie wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 pm That certainly is the best way to go. But i like my os and other files separate, so i will be creating two extra partitions. Just wondering, if having an extra boot partition is advisable, right at the beginning of the hdd
Not unless you intend to run more than one Linux system on it.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Ok, i have reinstalled linix mint, and wifi seems stable. Been monitering from last night. Think somehow my windows dual boot had to do something with it. Removed it completely. Think its doing fine now. Thanx to all of you for guiding me through. Really appreciate your time and help throughout
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Power management seems to stay on at boot. Even if i disable it using the command provided previously, but it turns on on its own. Is that a matter of concern? can it be disabled permanently
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

That is an app and can be removed in add apps.
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by shom_ronnie »

Not that one, i was talking about the one in network, after doing a iwconfig, it says power management on
shom_ronnie
Level 3
Level 3

Re: [Solved]Connecting To WIFI On HP Computer

Post by shom_ronnie »

Reinstalling linux mint more or less solved the problem, but still had a few times of the day, when i would type in something in the search box, and the website would not load up. Not very frequently but sometimes, which was still annoying.

Finally was able to fully solve the issue. Only had to install the broadcom sta driver from software manager. That did the trick for me.

Return to “Networking”