How to translate (obsolete)

Help translate Linux Mint to other languages
Forum rules
No support questions here please. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

How to translate (obsolete)

Post by clem »

Edit: Launchpad is now used for translations: https://translations.launchpad.net/linuxmint. Instructions below are now obsolete.

To translate a particular Mint tool:

- Reply to the appropriate thread,
- Indicate which language you're translating in,
- Copy the first translation (which is in French),
- For each sentence, keep the "msgid" line as it is, and on the "msgstr" line, replace the French translation with a translation in your own language.

Example: Translating mintSystem in Spanish

- Reply to http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=162&t=25449
- Copy the first translation:

Language: French
msgid "Please enter your password"
msgstr "Veuillez saisir votre mot de passe"
- Inidicate that the language is Spanish and translate the content.. your reply should look like this:

Language: Spanish
msgid "Please enter your password"
msgstr "Su password por favor?"
Note: Look, about my Spanish... and how incorrect it is.. I mean, that's just an example :)

Questions go below. Don't hesitate to ask.

Clem.
redfalcon

Re: How to translate

Post by redfalcon »

(For German:)
I'm not sure if with "your" the formal adress for someone you respect (third person singular) or the adress for a buddy (second person singular) is meant. What should we use?
diego1188

Post by diego1188 »

ITALIAN TRANSLATORS, please also read here: http://linuxmint-italia.org/forum/index ... pic=1132.0
so that we don't translate the same mint tool twice. :wink:
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Redfalcon: Check what other Gnome apps say... for instance when a root application wants "you" to enter "your" password. I would follow the same convention.

constantinos692: Well.. the process we're using right now is fast and efficient to get things done quickly but it is really bad to accommodate reviews, discussions between translators and re-use of the previous translations. We also tend to translate and update the tools by bunch... usually for a particular release, and that's not good either. We should be moving towards Launchpad for that and update the tools on a regular basis... we're a small team and so I didn't want to add any overhead yet, but it's definitely something we need to improve in the future.

Clem.
redfalcon

Post by redfalcon »

clem wrote:Redfalcon: Check what other Gnome apps say... for instance when a root application wants "you" to enter "your" password. I would follow the same convention.
Allright, its the more formal one. I have changed it in my translations.
kvaju

Post by kvaju »

Maybe a stupid question but I've transladet mintInstall to Croatian is this all? (for this app I mean) .
If this is all for one app this is easy :D or do I have to do something else?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

yes, kvaju, that is all for mintInstall, so yes, the translation process is quite easy, provided you know another language!
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by npap »

constantinos692 wrote:Clem
first of all I am a newbie but I believe that the new release is fantastic. All these years I prefer to use English versions of all the distributions and operating systems because I didn't like the translations. They are translated in a way that do not help the user that speak English (at list the Greek ones). I tried to help with the translations by translating in Greek. although, I found out that there already exist an other translation for some of them that I really haven't tried yet. If I find suggestions about my or the existing translation, in order to do it better, how can we give these in the future before or after the stable release?
Hello constantinos692,
I agree with you as far as translations are concerned. English can not be translated word for word in Greek.
Allow me, please, to make a correction on the word "release" which in Greek has many different meanings.
"Release notes' would be more logical to be translated as " Σημειώσεις σχετικά με την έκδοση "
Please view the link below:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 59#p148759

Welcome to the forum Constantinos692". Best wishes.
npap
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

fotono: Click on the different links and have a look at the pages it shows. To launch the application you can simply type "mintwelcome" in a terminal.

Clem
Xtigyro

Post by Xtigyro »

If there is a mistake in the translation (which is not done by me), what i should do to fix it?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Post a new translation further down the thread. If the author indicates he's aware of the previous translations and posts a new one, his translation is used.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

Place yourself as an Hindi user and think of what you'd like to see written. If most Hindi say "URL" then it should be URL... you can even use the latin alphabet for the acronym if that's how people do.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

I usually go for the latest translations available for a particular language. When I include translations for a tool I always post a notice in the translation thread. It's for me, also, to keep track of what's been added, and what's remaining.

Clem.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi,

If you need to make corrections, don't edit the posts, re-post the new correction.

Thanks,

Clem.
neffscape
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neffscape »

In the italian version of mintmenu some elements are not translated (Yes, the tranlsation in the forum is complete and correct, but it's not implemented).
At the moment some sentence is still in french, (Toutes les applications instead of Tutte le applicazioni, etc...).
How should I notify this bug?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The way you did.. until we move to a translation framework (maybe launchpad).

Clem.

Return to “Translations”