[SOLVED] Regarding Oracle VM Virtualbox/Mint 18.3 'Rendering Mode'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Unus Mundus

[SOLVED] Regarding Oracle VM Virtualbox/Mint 18.3 'Rendering Mode'

Post by Unus Mundus »

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum. Glad to be here. A humble learner.

To preface - I've looked through various threads [and definitely not all of them lol, because obviously I'm here hehe] regarding this 'rendering mode' issue on Windows 10 running Mint on Oracle VM Virtualbox.

Everything's up and running smoothly, aside from disabling this rendering mode.

I've enabled 3d acceleration, slid the slider bar for video memory up quite a bit higher -around 120mb now, versus the previous setting that was around 12mb [was set very low].

From what I've been reading I need the VboxGuestAdditions? I noticed that the VBoxGuestAdditions iso file is in under > program files > oracle > virtual box, though maybe I've not done something, maybe it's not in the right place? I could be wrong here though.

Apologies for any confusion. Any help or guidance will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Unus

**Any screenshots or text needed for you guys to evaluate - just let me know.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Captain Brillo

Re: Regarding Oracle VM Virtualbox/Mint 18.3 'Rendering Mode'

Post by Captain Brillo »

When your VM is running, go to the "Devices" drop-down menu at the top.
The bottom option should be to "Insert Guest Additions..."

If it doesn't work, then go back to "Devices", the first option should be "Optical Drives" with a sub-option "Remove Disk from Optical Drive". If it's greyed out, you have some other problem, but this is the most common issue here.
Remove it, and then "Insert Guest...." should work.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

After "inserting" the guest additions CD image, make sure that the program VBox...Additions.exe runs to install it. After the install, you can "eject" the guest additions cd image for good.
Unus Mundus

Post by Unus Mundus »

Captain Brillo wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:52 am When your VM is running, go to the "Devices" drop-down menu at the top.
The bottom option should be to "Insert Guest Additions..."
Yup, this worked. I understand what you're saying though and once again I appreciate the help. Thank you

Also

@JerryF I appreciate your response very much, thank you.

Unus

Return to “Beginner Questions”