If i update wine, what changes ? <SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

If i update wine, what changes ? <SOLVED>

Post by charvey »

HI all, i have the default version of wine 1.6.2, want to update to the 3.0 version (latest stable) . when i do , i should uninstall the old version first? or will installing the new one update that version? also..if i have to uninstall the old one first, will the things i have installed still work ? just a bit confused over what will occur.
charvey
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: If i update wine, what changes ?

Post by kc1di »

you may have to reinstall any programs that you've install in 1.6 version after updating to new version.
a simpler way may be to install Playonlinux and once install go to the tool tab and select manage wine versions from there you can install any version of wine you want to try up to 3.10 I believe and try it out by installing programs you want to use. Playonlinux installs them in their own separate virtual drives and folders and you can delete them if they don't work without affecting any other programs. after you install the wine version you want to try us simple choose use another wine version during app install process and it will list all wine versions that are on your machine including any install on the system itself.
good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charvey »

Thanks, i checked out play on linux but see that there may be some "slow down" when running games. I have a fast , nice system for gaming and see no reason to install something to slow that down. i dont see it as an option for me. thanks for the input...
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

charvey wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:36 am Thanks, i checked out play on linux but see that there may be some "slow down" when running games. I have a fast , nice system for gaming and see no reason to install something to slow that down. i dont see it as an option for me. thanks for the input...
Hi charvey,

My rhetorical question: why update if everything is running well?
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

charvey wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:12 amHI all, i have the default version of wine 1.6.2, want to update to the 3.0 version (latest stable) . when i do , i should uninstall the old version first?
Definitely uninstall the old version. Also save a copy of your ~/.wine directory, just in case (and if you have room, it's usually a few hundred Meg)

Code: Select all

cp -r ~/.wine ~/.wine.save
Delete the saved version after everything's working OK.
if i have to uninstall the old one first, will the things i have installed still work ? just a bit confused over what will occur.
Your wine programs are in the ~/.wine directory mentioned above; they are NOT part of the wine package installation and don't get removed when you remove wine. You probably will NOT have to reinstall any of them - I've used wine for years and never had to reinstall anything because of a wine update.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
I followed these instructions.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
charvey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charvey »

Thanks all for the replies. I wanted to update wine to the new version so i could run a new game that is not supported in the default version ( 1.6.x ) . I did do an update to 3.0.1 with no issues. i didnt have to re install anything . i Did have to fix one game with a user.cfg script but its a minor issue and all is well. I didnt have to remove the old version, it updated to the new stable version which I thought was awesome ! This is the way Linux should be...easy and worry free :) .
charvey

Return to “Software & Applications”