18.3 XFCE is so rock solid

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

18.3 XFCE is so rock solid

Post by HaveaMint »

In my honest Opinion the 18.3 is so rock solid it is going to be so hard for a newer version to supersede it. Ok it may boot 2.3 milliseconds faster or may be able to leap a little bit taller building in a single bound but holy bejebus christ I am really so liking this compared to the other OS choice. (Like a mass shooter you don't want to give em recognition) Linux does everything you want to do except supply TP to wipe when you finally get rid of the other OS. Mint team is so awesome in making a great system for you to do your thing whatever tickles your trigger. What is your Opinion?
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: 18.3 XFCE is so rock solid

Post by Flemur »

I agree! My only problems have been the result of messing around...well, pretty much. They (kernel/drivers/virtualbox issues) definitely didn't have anything to do Xfce.
HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 pmnewer version to supersede it. Ok it may boot 2.3 milliseconds faster or may be able
I did an unapproved "upgrade" by changing the repo names, and Mint 19 (vs 18.3) took a couple seconds longer to boot and used 30% more memory. (about 130M vs 95M @fluxbox)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 pm In my honest Opinion the 18.3 is so rock solid it is going to be so hard for a newer version to supersede it. Ok it may boot 2.3 milliseconds faster or may be able to leap a little bit taller building in a single bound but holy bejebus christ I am really so liking this compared to the other OS choice. (Like a mass shooter you don't want to give em recognition) Linux does everything you want to do except supply TP to wipe when you finally get rid of the other OS. Mint team is so awesome in making a great system for you to do your thing whatever tickles your trigger. What is your Opinion?
Been beta testing Mint Xfce 19 and, with the caveat that 19 may get better before release, I like Mint Xfce 18 much better. It uses about 100mb less ram than 19, everything worked out of the box for me on 18, some big bugs for me on 19.
Edit: I may just stick with 18 since it has 3 more years of support, but will make final decision when Mint xfce 19 is finished.
Edit2: Xubuntu 18.04 also has issues with screen locking/suspend:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2390769
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1769061
Xfce 19 may be out for me if they don't get this fixed. I need a proper suspend and password request when unlocking/coming back from suspend.
Last edited by KBD47 on Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

In my experience Mint 19 xfce boots in ~8 seconds, whereas Mint 18.3 xfce takes ~22 seconds! This is on the same machine--has been confirmed on 4 different thinkpad laptops. Some little bugs in 19, but really no showstoppers. Biggest aggravations for me are the same slooooow mount times for usb drives, same as Mint 18.x, and the fact that I had to set up samba shares by editing the /etc/samba/samba.config file, since the gui (system-config-samba) will install fine from sw manager--but it won't run. (both reported on the blog)

Full disclosure: I never was a big fan of 18.x, and for the most part continue to run my beloved Mint 17 xfce as my daily driver!
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The problem with Mint XFCE is that is is so rock steady, you do not want to go to the latest release. Hopefully this time around, the webmasters will highlight 18.3 for new persons versus throwing them into a buggy 19.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The webmasters? Who do you mean?

This forum is a collective effort, a place where members advise members. If you personally feel that 19 is buggy when it's out, no one will stop you from recommending 18.3.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I've been using Mint 19 Cinnamon for over a week now and it is not that buggy at all. I'm at the point where I don't see any difference between it and my rock solid 18.3 Cinnamon. I really don't see any difference between either OS ?????
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

by webmasters i mean the folks who set up the main page. Lest he/she not bury the 18.3 download over the 19.0 download.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Pepi wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 am I've been using Mint 19 Cinnamon for over a week now and it is not that buggy at all. I'm at the point where I don't see any difference between it and my rock solid 18.3 Cinnamon. I really don't see any difference between either OS ?????
Yes, Cinnamon was incredibly solid out of the box for Mint 19 beta. But he is talking about the beta for Mint Xfce4 19 which has some issues.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

151tom wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:09 am I still use Linux Mint 18.0 Xfce and find no reason to change it works without problems on my 10 year old computers. 8)
I did a fresh install of Mint 18 Xfce last night and it reminded me why I love it so much. Everything worked perfectly out of the box. It is so lightweight and feels comfortable like a nice fitting pair of shoes. It still has three years support and I'm keeping it on my 'mission critical machine'. Hopefully Xfce 19 beta will get better over time.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

HaveaMint wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 pm What is your Opinion?
I like XFCE and I'm glad it exists. I've been a KDE user since 3. 4 was rough for awhile. But I feel about LM17.3/KDE4 the way it sounds that you feel about LM18.3/XFCE. The desktop/windowing is great. It looks and does everything I need and want. I don't use KDE PIM (kalarm, kmail, kaddress, akonadi) or activities (use virtual desktops) . It's the other applications and utilities that are getting behind, so I've upgraded as needed. For GUI's that gets to be a problem when they depend on a specific version of gtk or qt. I have access to current distro versions but I just haven't taken the leap. Well I have to 4/2019 to make a decision ;-)

Nice to read your positive review.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

KBD47 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm
Pepi wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:48 am I've been using Mint 19 Cinnamon for over a week now and it is not that buggy at all. I'm at the point where I don't see any difference between it and my rock solid 18.3 Cinnamon. I really don't see any difference between either OS ?????
Yes, Cinnamon was incredibly solid out of the box for Mint 19 beta. But he is talking about the beta for Mint Xfce4 19 which has some issues.
Sorry ... My bad :oops:
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Pepi wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:43 pm
Sorry ... My bad :oops:
No problem. Cinnamon users are going to be quite pleased with version 19. MATE is also close to being perfect as far as the 19 version as well. Xfce just seems the one that has the furthest to go before being ready for the version 19 release, and version 18 was so awesome it has a high standard to meet :)
rawill

Post by rawill »

My 2cents worth. I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I dabbled with Linux in some form about 10 years ago, but nothing much until recently when I put Mint 18.3 XFCE on my Acer Aspire 5310. It was terrible on Vista, had all sorts of bugs. Now on Mint it goes well, I am thinking of putting the memory up to 2 gig, and using it for my uni studies.

I also was wondering if 18.3 XFCE would run on my Acer Aspire One Zg5 (netbook - great travelling computer, used to have XP) currently I have Mint 17.3 Mate on it.

Just love the way Mint looks, for a long time Windows user.
Keep up the great work, I have paid up a donation, won't be my last.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

rawill wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 am My 2cents worth. I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about. I dabbled with Linux in some form about 10 years ago, but nothing much until recently when I put Mint 18.3 XFCE on my Acer Aspire 5310. It was terrible on Vista, had all sorts of bugs. Now on Mint it goes well, I am thinking of putting the memory up to 2 gig, and using it for my uni studies.

I also was wondering if 18.3 XFCE would run on my Acer Aspire One Zg5 (netbook - great travelling computer, used to have XP) currently I have Mint 17.3 Mate on it.

Just love the way Mint looks, for a long time Windows user.
Keep up the great work, I have paid up a donation, won't be my last.
Definitely increase the ram if you can. Even if the desktop is lightweight, Firefox or Chrome use a good bit of ram. Probably no reason to change out MATE 17.3 unless you are wanting to upgrade to a newer Mint version. MATE 17 and Xfce 18 are going to be close in ram use, Xfce might use 150mb or so less ram.
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

345mb ram on fresh boot Mint Xfce 18. When xfce 19 is finished will be interesting to see how that compares. Mint 18 has been fast on everything I run it on :)

Code: Select all

ThinkPad-X220
 MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmds+.        OS: Mint 18.2 sonya
 MMm----::-://////////////oymNMd+`     Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.13.0-45-generic
 MMd      /++                -sNMd:    Uptime: 1m
 MMNso/`  dMM    `.::-. .-::.` .hMN:   Packages: 2189
 ddddMMh  dMM   :hNMNMNhNMNMNh: `NMm   Shell: bash 4.3.48
     NMm  dMM  .NMN/-+MMM+-/NMN` dMM   Resolution: 1366x768
     NMm  dMM  -MMm  `MMM   dMM. dMM   DE: XFCE
     NMm  dMM  -MMm  `MMM   dMM. dMM   WM: Xfwm4
     NMm  dMM  .mmd  `mmm   yMM. dMM   WM Theme: Mint-X
     NMm  dMM`  ..`   ...   ydm. dMM   GTK Theme: Xfce-dawn [GTK2]
     hMM- +MMd/-------...-:sdds  dMM   Icon Theme: Mint-X
     -NMm- :hNMNNNmdddddddddy/`  dMM   Font: Noto Sans Bold 12
      -dMNs-``-::::-------.``    dMM   CPU: Intel Core i5-2520M CPU @ 3.2GHz
       `/dMNmy+/:-------------:/yMMM   GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 
          ./ydNMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM   RAM: 345MiB / 5843MiB
chroma601

Post by chroma601 »

I just popped 18.1 Mint Xfce on an older Toshiba notebook, the Atom powered NB 505. I debated putting 18.3 on but went with 18.1 because the release notes said 18.3 is most comfortable with 2 GB of RAM while 18.1 is fine with the 1 GB the tiny notebook has.

I have never seen an Atom powered computer work so fast!

I just love Linux Mint!
Chriske
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chriske »

Very happy with 18.3 XFCE.
It's superfast on my 10 year old main laptop.
Even on older machines(P4 - 2Gb ram) it works rather smooth.

After installing Mint(different versions) going to donate now.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”