Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ppapachiou
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux Mint 19 codenamed “Tara”

Post by ppapachiou »

Connecting to Windows shares does not work from Nemo. Works fine with the same shares and 18.3 and also with the same version of Nemo on Manzaro/Cinnamon.

Thanks for the great release,
Panayiotis
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Quick reminder:

Bug reports posted here will probably not be read by the developers. If you want your bug report to potentially make a difference, please post it in the comments of the relevant blog post: the one that announces the beta for your desktop environment.

Thanks!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
tictactux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tictactux »

Gave the XFCE version a whirl (in a VirtualBox running on top of 18.3). Neat. Like it. Some Icons need getting used to, but hey.

One thing however: in TimeShift, the users' homes are excluded - so far, so good. But then wouldn't it make sense to exclude other files by default as well, namely /swapfile? It simply doesn't make sense to backup a swap file, and the average newbie probably isn't aware of that, but will happily backup $MEMSIZE+ bytes for no good reason. (not a bug, but a silly feature...) :-)

--
Ben
DarkWriter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DarkWriter »

Hello,
ppapachiou wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:43 am Connecting to Windows shares does not work from Nemo. Works fine with the same shares and 18.3 and also with the same version of Nemo on Manzaro/Cinnamon.

Panayiotis
I have no problems with my windows shares. Everything runs smoothly - mount, read, write ... All from Nemo.

regards
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

tictactux wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:47 pm One thing however: in TimeShift, the users' homes are excluded - so far, so good. But then wouldn't it make sense to exclude other files by default as well, namely /swapfile? It simply doesn't make sense to backup a swap file, and the average newbie probably isn't aware of that, but will happily backup $MEMSIZE+ bytes for no good reason. (not a bug, but a silly feature...) :-)
Can you post the exclude file in a new thread and link from here. My notes on Timeshift files are here: https://petermoulding.com/timeshift
srpohl
Level 1
Level 1

Post by srpohl »

Same thing here, but there are many themes in the theme folder. Don't know why they don't show up in "system settings/themes"?
ppapachiou
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ppapachiou »

DarkWriter wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:45 pm Hello,
ppapachiou wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:43 am Connecting to Windows shares does not work from Nemo. Works fine with the same shares and 18.3 and also with the same version of Nemo on Manzaro/Cinnamon.

Panayiotis
I have no problems with my windows shares. Everything runs smoothly - mount, read, write ... All from Nemo.

regards
After some investigation, it looks like I am having problems only with DFS shares. Using the windows share server name works ok.

Panayiotis
tictactux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tictactux »

Petermint wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:37 pm Can you post the exclude file in a new thread and link from here. My notes on Timeshift files are here: https://petermoulding.com/timeshift
Basically you run "swapon --show" and exclude everything that has a type of "file", eg.

Code: Select all

swapon --show | tr -s " " | grep " file " | cut -d " " -f 1

Return to “Introduce Yourself”