Sort files in group like windows

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
zeeshanali1993
Level 1
Level 1

Sort files in group like windows

Post by zeeshanali1993 »

Hi, Please consider adding an option to sort files in a group like in windows. It's quite a handy feature when need to deal with hundreds of files. Then files can be sorted in groups and can collapse the files not needed. :shock:

Here is an example image.

Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.

This option is available in Dolphin File Manager but the main issue I'm facing with Dolphin is that it does not remember view settings for each folder. Even after enabling this option in settings.
Attachments
Screenshot_of_Windows_10_File_Explorer.jpg
Screenshot_of_Windows_10_File_Explorer.jpg (6.65 KiB) Viewed 4335 times
Last edited by SMG on Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Sort files in group like windows

Post by xenopeek »

Please be more descriptive in ideas as "just like in Windows" only helps people understand it that regularly use Windows.

In any case, as noted in the rules at the top of this forum, please post ideas for developers of the file manager you use on their collaboration space. Search for similar ideas before posting a new one. And try to make a better case for the idea than "I need it because I'm too lazy to organize my files myself" (how it comes across now), and try to think on what use it would be for other people. Developers are unlikely to spend time implementing something for just one person.
zeeshanali1993
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeeshanali1993 »

Sorry for wrong space, but it's a basic function that should be available, and it had nothing to do with laziness for your kind information.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sure, I'm just saying ideas have a better chance of getting attention from developers when worded in a way as to how they would be useful to users other than just you.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

I don't know how Windows does it but you can arrange items by type, that is, by file extension. Simply right click in the window and select Arrange Items >. Click on the radio button By Type.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

I know what the OP is asking for. Sorting by "Groups" puts a gap, for lack of a better word, between the different file types. It is visually appealing. Each group has a header stating the file type and puts an arrow where you can, as the OP said, collapse the groups.

This would be, I'm guessing, a function of the file manager. You didn't state what DE you're using (Cinnamon, Mate, etc.). If any DE has this feature, I'd bet it would be KDE.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 amThis would be, I'm guessing, a function of the file manager. You didn't state what DE you're using (Cinnamon, Mate, etc.). If any DE has this feature, I'd bet it would be KDE.
You can download the file managers independent of the desktop and try each to see if any have this feature. Any desktop will run any file manager.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

Apparently my suspicion was correct. According to the 2nd post by parijath in the link below (3rd post overall), Dolphin (KDE's file manager) has the "group by" feature. Not sure though if the groups are collapseable.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/4 ... tures_and/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Good find. You can toggle show in groups in Dolphin and it will then group by the field you've selected to sort by.
The groups are however not collapsible.
zeeshanali1993
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeeshanali1993 »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 am I know what the OP is asking for. Sorting by "Groups" puts a gap, for lack of a better word, between the different file types. It is visually appealing. Each group has a header stating the file type and puts an arrow where you can, as the OP said, collapse the groups.

This would be, I'm guessing, a function of the file manager. You didn't state what DE you're using (Cinnamon, Mate, etc.). If any DE has this feature, I'd bet it would be KDE.
Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3. And thats what I was asking thanks for explaining.
MinecraftChest1

Post by MinecraftChest1 »

I see what he means by groups. In windows explorer or more formally file explorer in windows, you have drive letters (a feature that i would like to be added) and sub-folders in the navigation pane or the sidebar as I sometimes like to call it. If you click on the arrow next to the sub-folder, it shows more sub-folders/files and so on. If you click on it again, it hides them again. I have never thought of that but that would be nice sometimes.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's not what OP meant. Besides, what you're describing is called tree view for the sidebar (or side pane) and all file managers on Linux Mint (Nemo on Cinnamon, Caja on MATE and Thunar on Xfce) already have the option to switch the sidebar to treeview: with a button or selection box in the sidebar itself, and/or through the file managers' View menu.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MinecraftChest1 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:51 pm I see what he means by groups. In windows explorer or more formally file explorer in windows, you have drive letters (a feature that i would like to be added)
Hopefully that will never, ever happen.
MinecraftChest1 wrote: and sub-folders in the navigation pane or the sidebar as I sometimes like to call it. If you click on the arrow next to the sub-folder, it shows more sub-folders/files and so on. If you click on it again, it hides them again. I have never thought of that but that would be nice sometimes.
In Cinnamon, you select Tree from the file manager's View > Side Pane menu. It isn't available in MATE's file manager, IIRC.

KDE's Dolphin file manager also does it. However you will not have full Dolphin functionality, such as integration with the desktop, if you install Dolphin inside MATE or Cinnamon. There may be other file managers that can do it so it might be worth looking in the software manager to see if you can find one that you like.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

catweazel wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 am In Cinnamon, you select Tree from the file manager's View > Side Pane menu. It isn't available in MATE's file manager, IIRC.

KDE's Dolphin file manager also does it.
As I shared, MATE's file manager (Caja) does have tree view for the sidebar. There's an option for it in the sidebar itself and in the View menu.
Cinnamon's file manager (Nemo) also has a button for it in the sidebar.
Xfce's file manager (Thunar) only has the option in the menu.

As for KDE, I'd like to know where you found the option to switch the sidebar to tree view. I couldn't find it on Linux Mint 18.3 KDE.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:27 pm As for KDE, I'd like to know where you found the option to switch the sidebar to tree view. I couldn't find it on Linux Mint 18.3 KDE.
F7 or View > Panels > Folders

However that's in Plasma 5.13.4 on Neon. I don't use Mint KDE 18.3.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Rance Petersen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rance Petersen »

I'd also like to request this feature. It helps immensely with organization.
barnabas

Post by barnabas »

Schultz wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:05 am I know what the OP is asking for. Sorting by "Groups" puts a gap, for lack of a better word, between the different file types. It is visually appealing. Each group has a header stating the file type and puts an arrow where you can, as the OP said, collapse the groups.

I would love to have this "group by" feature in mint's file manager!
(...so much that I've just registered to this forum to vote for it)
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

barnabas wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:35 pm I would love to have this "group by" feature in mint's file manager!
(...so much that I've just registered to this forum to vote for it)
Unfortunately this is not the right place to request it.

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”