[SOLVED] Sound Issue - Freshly Installed LM Xfce

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Sound Issue - Freshly Installed LM Xfce

Post by silvatech »

Thats a 64 bit processor I can confirm that.

although command you ran lscpu as well confirms it.

Architecture: i686

and

Mode(s) opératoire(s) des processeurs :32-bit, 64-bit

confirms that.

I would install the 64bit version of the OS. I think they should make warnings for people trying to download the 32bit version. Something like are you sure you cannot run 64bit.

No clue if that will fix the sound issue, but 64 bit now days has alot bettter software support.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

According to this your computer is 64 bit.

Now I have a silly question that I should have asked a long time ago. When you say speakers, do you mean speakers plugged into the back of the computer? Are they plugged into a lime green port? Does one of the speakers have a dial on it, and if so, have you tried turning the dial?
dunome

Post by dunome »

I feel so dumb... It is true that my parents changed the screen because the other was dead, and guess what, they plugged 1 out of 2 male jack (one goes in the computer tower, the other in the screen).
Actually, the sound does not come from the speakers, but from the screen (yes the PC is weird, but it makes sense). That's why we saw that the audio was playing, but the sound was not working... because it was NOT plugged into the screen !

You should've asked it a long time ago, BUT I should have checked the connection in the first time... it's my fault :?

Thank you SO much for your help, and especially for not giving up :lol:
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

dunome wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:15 pm I feel so dumb... It is true that my parents changed the screen because the other was dead, and guess what, they plugged 1 out of 2 male jack (one goes in the computer tower, the other in the screen).
Actually, the sound does not come from the speakers, but from the screen (yes the PC is weird, but it makes sense). That's why we saw that the audio was playing, but the sound was not working... because it was NOT plugged into the screen !

You should've asked it a long time ago, BUT I should have checked the connection in the first time... it's my fault :?

Thank you SO much for your help, and especially for not giving up :lol:
Its amazing how often I find in IT trouble shooting that the answer is simple. NIce find MrEen!
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Sound Issue - Freshly Installed LM Xfce

Post by MrEen »

YEAH! I'm just happy your case is solved. Now you want to give serious consideration to changing to a 64 bit installation. :)

And thanks for the assistance and props, silvatech.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

Glad it's working :)
invenio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by invenio »

Just posting this if anybody else may have had the same issue.

I am using Linux Mint 19 XFCE on a 10 year old Toshiba netbook. The volume controls were ok (volume was graphically able to be muted and brought up and down) but there was no sound via the speakers or headphone output. The solution was to open alasmixer in the terminal and I saw that on the playback devices, the auto-mute was turned on. There was no indication of this in the GUI anywhere. After disabling, the sound immediately returned.
invenio
Level 1
Level 1

Post by invenio »

So apparently that did not fix the issue. For some reason the volume listed in alsamixer as "headphones" (but actually is the external speaker) is reset to zero with each reboot. So I manually have to increase the volume in alsamixer with each reboot.

Anybody have any idea why the volume settings are not carrying over? I have a feeling that pulseaudio is resetting it.

Return to “Hardware Support”