Swap Partition Size seems small

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Swap Partition Size seems small

Post by AZgl1800 »

when I installed a 500 gB SSD, I used "something else" to create a separate /home partition.
been a while, so no longer remember the steps I went thru.

Just now, reviewing the partitions I noted that the Swap partition seems very small.

Was wondering if that is because the laptop now has 12gB of RAM instead of the previous 4gB ??

Just a curious question, the laptop is extremely fast, and a pleasure to use now, compared to before when it was a sluggard with the HDD it used to have and small RAM size.

/dev/sda4 is dedicated as a /backup partition.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Swap Partition Size seems small

Post by xenopeek »

14 MiB is not a normal swap amount. That's 0.1% of your RAM and thus meaningless.

That your system will be faster with 12 GiB RAM is hardly a surprise. It means your operating system can use more unused RAM for file cache and buffers, speeding up all file operations.

I'd suggest to remove swap from your /etc/fstab file. Unless you want to hibernate (suspend to disk) or run extremely memory hungry programs (like raw photo or video editing) you should be fine to run without swap.

It's generally recommend to have 20% of RAM available as swap. In your case that would about 2½ GiB (say about 2500 MiB). You can easily add that with a swap file if and when you feel you need it. See general instructions for creating and configuring a swap file here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=270961#p1480094
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Before the addition of the SSD and the extra 8gB of RAM,

all Hibernate and Sleep modes would crash this laptop, so they are turned OFF anyway.

not into video editing, and doubt I do that in future.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

In your case, I also recommend getting rid of a swap. Not needed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

If one could avoid the out-of-memory (OOM) killer with only 14 MiB swap, that must be some record :) Yeah, just disable the swap line in /etc/fstab/.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

:lol:
xenopeek wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 pm If one could avoid the out-of-memory (OOM) killer with only 14 MiB swap, that must be some record :) Yeah, just disable the swap line in /etc/fstab/.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

Okay,

I agree, 14 mib is totally worthless in this particular case.

I will remove it from fstab

not going to mess with the partitions though, no real advantage for a measly 14 mib.

just commented it out:

Return to “Storage”