Folding@Home

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Folding@Home

Post by 900i »

Thanks Keith, it all helps. Seems most people have stopped but there are still a few of us still going.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

900i,

it has always surprised me by the lack of interest concerning such a valuable initiative, not just here but in my previous two Linux flavours. Perhaps until you have lost someone to one of the major illnesses you are not too bothered about contributing.

I personally prefer to dedicate my computers time to this project rather than to Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence , as it seems to be a much more worthwhile cause.

It takes so little effort to set up and contribute, and does not interfere at all with any other work that you do on the computer. It is all pretty painless.

Lets hope that some more people will join us.

Best regards Keith
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Just started folding again after an unintentional hiatus, but will keep going as much as possible.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Old Marcus

I am glad that you are up and running again, I will watch out for your progress.

Are there any more members willing to give us a hand please.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

the Mint Folding Team have just gone past 1,000,000 points. We are now 1874 out of 157884 teams.

Now if we could get a bit more help then we can rise even higher.

Anyone with a computer can help the project and help the team.

Best regards Keith
Dupoint

Post by Dupoint »

downloaded :)
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dupoint

Post by Dupoint »

:wink:
Last edited by Dupoint on Thu May 07, 2009 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Dupoint,

it is good to see you on board, and I will be keeping an eye out for your rapid rise up the list.

Best regards Keith
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Hello All,

Just installed FAH and want to run it as a service at bootup. Followed the guide instructions and rebooted but it will not start. I can manually start and run it. When I run the following command at the terminal it returns:

Code: Select all

/etc/init.d/folding

dvrbox folding # /etc/init.d/folding
-su: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'
-su: -c: line 0: `cd /home/kevin/folding; ./fah6 -smp -verbosity 9 < /dev/null >'
Running on Linux Mint-5 32-bit.

TIA
kwisher

Post by kwisher »

Disregard my last post. I got it working on two machines now with some help from the FAH forum.
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

What is this about? I can't really gather from the messages...unless I want to read back through all those pages... eek! It's almost 1am
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

sarahmarienc

briefly

What is Folding@Home?

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies Protein Folding , mis folding, aggregation, and Related diseases. it hopes to find cures for common diseases that afflict the human race such as Cancer and Alzheimer's to name a couple.?

Stanford University have a small program that you download onto your computer which runs in the background, and utilizes any unused cycles of your CPU. It makes little or no difference to your normal daily use of your computer. The reason why Stanford has gone down this path of using lots of ordinary peoples computers from all over the world instead of building just one "super computer", is both for cost and also Stanford, through their folding program now have the most powerful supercomputer in the world at their disposal.

I donated money all through my working life to Cancer charities here in the UK, but still managed to lose a mother and a brother to it. When I first heard of the Stanford project I did not immediately grasp the significance of it, but the penny did finally drop and I have been folding 24/7 for about two years now.

I am not sure of the best way to run it but all I did was to make a folder named "folding" in my home directory. Go to Stanford's site and download the appropriate client. Unpack the client into the folder that you made named "folding". Open a terminal and type in "cd folding" and press return. Then type in "./fah6 -smp" and again press return, and away it will go.

Remember this is for my computer and yours may be different.

You must never shut the terminal down when you are running as that will improperly shut down the program. To stop the folding correctly, use Ctrl + C.

You will also need to have an internet connection, mine is broadband and the computer is never turned off.

When you first start the folding program it will ask for your user name and then your team number which is 76140 for Team Mint. I then just accept all of the defaults that it offers.

Hope that helps a bit

Best regards Keith
sarahmarienc

Post by sarahmarienc »

tinca wrote:sarahmarienc

briefly

What is Folding@Home?

Folding@Home is a distributed computing project which studies Protein Folding , mis folding, aggregation, and Related diseases. it hopes to find cures for common diseases that afflict the human race such as Cancer and Alzheimer's to name a couple.?

Stanford University have a small program that you download onto your computer which runs in the background, and utilizes any unused cycles of your CPU. It makes little or no difference to your normal daily use of your computer. The reason why Stanford has gone down this path of using lots of ordinary peoples computers from all over the world instead of building just one "super computer", is both for cost and also Stanford, through their folding program now have the most powerful supercomputer in the world at their disposal.

I donated money all through my working life to Cancer charities here in the UK, but still managed to lose a mother and a brother to it. When I first heard of the Stanford project I did not immediately grasp the significance of it, but the penny did finally drop and I have been folding 24/7 for about two years now.

I am not sure of the best way to run it but all I did was to make a folder named "folding" in my home directory. Go to Stanford's site and download the appropriate client. Unpack the client into the folder that you made named "folding". Open a terminal and type in "cd folding" and press return. Then type in "./fah6 -smp" and again press return, and away it will go.

Remember this is for my computer and yours may be different.

You must never shut the terminal down when you are running as that will improperly shut down the program. To stop the folding correctly, use Ctrl + C.

You will also need to have an internet connection, mine is broadband and the computer is never turned off.

When you first start the folding program it will ask for your user name and then your team number which is 76140 for Team Mint. I then just accept all of the defaults that it offers.

Hope that helps a bit

Best regards Keith
Wow Keith,

That's amazing. I didn't know that something like this even existed. Pretty neat! I'll have to look into it and check it out :) Thanks for the info! I've lost many to those diseases (and many others) as well.

-Sarah
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

ossified65,

welcome aboard.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

kwisher and stjay,

I can see both of you listed on the points score now. Well done and keep up the good work.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all,

Our folding team is now placed at 1,792 out of 158,893 teams world wide.

We have made some progress lately due to a few more people joining our team. We are always looking for more help.

Best regards Keith
ebaut

Post by ebaut »

mmm... I`ll join :)
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

ebaut

thats a smart choice, the more the merrier.

I will look out for your progress.

Best regards Keith
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Trung

welcome aboard

Best regards Keith

p.s. I am now waiting for our team to go below the 1700 mark. Currently we are 1733 out of 159675 teams world wide.
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Hi all in the folding team.

kadathseeker and trung, its good to see you on the points board, well done.

Best regards Keith

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”