Future of Linux Mint Mate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
fallendaemon
Level 1
Level 1

Future of Linux Mint Mate

Post by fallendaemon » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I have been reading several forums lately and have gotten it in my head that linux mint with mate is on the way out in a few distros as its considered not modern enough. What's the reality on this issue? Ought I change to Linux Mint Cinnamon now and just get used to the GUI? I really like the clean and obvious menus of Mate at this point. Many thanks for a great version - Linux Mint - nonetheless! It's gotten me away from a lifetime of Windows as my personal OS of choice...

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Future of Linux Mint Mate

Post by Pjotr » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:19 pm

Mint MATE is here to stay. And MATE's code has been modernized as well, so no worries. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:35 pm

fallendaemon wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm
I have been reading several forums lately and have gotten it in my head that linux mint with mate is on the way out in a few distros
What do you mean? 'Linux Mint with mate' is only available in one distro.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:32 pm

MintBean wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:35 pm
fallendaemon wrote:
I have been reading several forums lately and have gotten it in my head that linux mint with mate is on the way out in a few distros
What do you mean? 'Linux Mint with mate' is only available in one distro.
I think fallendaemon meant version, not distro.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:14 pm

MATE is very popular, both an official flavor on Ubuntu and Mint--two of the most popular distros. I would be shocked if it disappeared from Mint. Based upon the feedback on the recent beta blog posts there was more feedback on MATE than Xfce, lots of MATE fans. I wouldn't worry about it going anywhere soon.

fallendaemon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fallendaemon » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:41 pm

fallendaemon wrote:
I have been reading several forums lately and have gotten it in my head that linux mint with mate is on the way out in a few distros as its considered not modern enough. What's the reality on this issue? Ought I change to Linux Mint Cinnamon now and just get used to the GUI? I really like the clean and obvious menus of Mate at this point. Many thanks for a great version - Linux Mint - nonetheless! It's gotten me away from a lifetime of Windows as my personal OS of choice...
. Many thanks for the reply here. Worries resolved. And by "in a few distros" I meant a few subsequent releases of Linux Mint with Mate desktop.

lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:27 pm

fallendaemon wrote:
What does "modern" even mean? Who said it? What is their motive? Someone's opinion - I like this, therefore you should like this?

Mate development is an active project.

Linux Mint is a Linux Distribution (linux kernel plus gnu.org software, plus lots of system and application software, all uniquely customized) that supports multiple GTK-based desktops: Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE. A QT-based desktop, KDE, was eliminated after 18.3.

There's more about LM supported desktops at the Linux Mint Installation Guide. Cinnamon is developed by LM.

To stay informed about what is really happening at Linux Mint, read the LM blog, especially the Monthly News.

See also, Linux Mint @DistroWatch

Please consider supporting Linux Mint and Mate too.

Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:18 pm

Mate's future is so bright, it needs to wear shades.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrriKcwvlY

Return to “Newbie Questions”