Opera 54

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Post Reply
Benedetto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Location: SW England

Opera 54

Post by Benedetto » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 am

The latest update for Opera, 54. has some codec issues. Plug in are blocked and cannot be made to work. That is how I find it. I wonder how many others have these issues?
Is there a way to revert to version 53 (the previous one)? Any attempt to download seems to result in version 54 coming up.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - version 4.2.3

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5180
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Opera 54

Post by kc1di » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am

Hello same problem here so I downgraded to 53 again and it works. you can download older version here:
https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/des ... .99/linux/
Don't allow it to upgrade in upgrade manager for awhile maybe they will get 54 fixed soon. When update manager tries to update opera right click on it ant tell it to ignore the update.

in fact all older versions of opera are available here: https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Benedetto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Location: SW England

Re: Opera 54

Post by Benedetto » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 am

kc1di wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:47 am
Hello same problem here so I downgraded to 53 again and it works. you can download older version here:
https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/des ... .99/linux/
Don't allow it to upgrade in upgrade manager for awhile maybe they will get 54 fixed soon. When update manager tries to update opera right click on it ant tell it to ignore the update.

in fact all older versions of opera are available here: https://get.geo.opera.com/pub/opera/desktop/
Thank you very much for a swift reply. I did have problems with the Opera (53) download when using the current 54 version. However I uninstalled Opera and downloaded using Firefox. All now works wonderfully. I can now watch Lady Liberty, Times Square and a few of the railcams that I visit each day. :D
I have not marked as solved. It is for me (still have to do it on my laptop) but others may also need your advice.
73 de Alan
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - version 4.2.3

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8138
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Opera 54

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am

Benedetto wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 am
I have not marked as solved. It is for me (still have to do it on my laptop) but others may also need your advice.
That's not how it works. Others can make their own threads then.

On a side note, what kind of webcams aren't using HTML5 these day? :shock:
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5180
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Opera 54

Post by kc1di » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am
Benedetto wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 am
I have not marked as solved. It is for me (still have to do it on my laptop) but others may also need your advice.
That's not how it works. Others can make their own threads then.

On a side note, what kind of webcams aren't using HTML5 these day? :shock:
It's not really solved yet as this is just a temporary work around until oper or mint or both get the codecs fixed to work wht opera 54.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8138
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Opera 54

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:31 am

kc1di wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:06 am
gm10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:35 am
Benedetto wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:13 am
I have not marked as solved. It is for me (still have to do it on my laptop) but others may also need your advice.
That's not how it works. Others can make their own threads then.

On a side note, what kind of webcams aren't using HTML5 these day? :shock:
It's not really solved yet as this is just a temporary work around until oper or mint or both get the codecs fixed to work wht opera 54.
What codecs are we talking about then? I thought this was about plugins getting blocked. Got a problematic URL? I have Opera 55 installed, happy to check for you if it works there.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5180
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Opera 54

Post by kc1di » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm

I'm running mint 19 and the codecs that don't work are the Chrome-ffmpeg-extras This is the same problem we had going from opera 39 to 40 and from 32 to 33 they usually get if fixed in the first point release. It may not affect 18.3 I don't have that installed any more.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

gm10
Level 18
Level 18
Posts: 8138
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:11 pm

Re: Opera 54

Post by gm10 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 pm

kc1di wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm
I'm running mint 19 and the codecs that don't work are the Chrome-ffmpeg-extras This is the same problem we had going from opera 39 to 40 and from 32 to 33 they usually get if fixed in the first point release. It may not affect 18.3 I don't have that installed any more.
Oh, ok, I get what is happening, they bundled the wrong library. Probably easiest way to fix this is like this:
  1. update Opera to latest version again.
  2. download http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
    and bookmark http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... m-browser/ for future use
  3. open the downloaded file with Archive Manager (not GDebi!) and extract the /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so
  4. with elevated privileges place that file into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera, overwriting the existing one.
Should a future update break it again, rinse and repeat with whatever the appropriate codecs version is then.

PS: The above is for 64bit, for 32bit you'll need to adjust the download url and install path.

NB: Vivaldi is the better chromium browser and they don't goof around like this. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

User avatar
kc1di
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5180
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:44 pm
Location: Maine USA

Re: Opera 54

Post by kc1di » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:33 pm

gm10 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:57 pm
kc1di wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm
I'm running mint 19 and the codecs that don't work are the Chrome-ffmpeg-extras This is the same problem we had going from opera 39 to 40 and from 32 to 33 they usually get if fixed in the first point release. It may not affect 18.3 I don't have that installed any more.
Oh, ok, I get what is happening, they bundled the wrong library. Probably easiest way to fix this is like this:
  1. update Opera to latest version again.
  2. download http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... _amd64.deb
    and bookmark http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ ... m-browser/ for future use
  3. open the downloaded file with Archive Manager (not GDebi!) and extract the /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libffmpeg.so
  4. with elevated privileges place that file into /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/opera, overwriting the existing one.
Should a future update break it again, rinse and repeat with whatever the appropriate codecs version is then.

PS: The above is for 64bit, for 32bit you'll need to adjust the download url and install path.

NB: Vivaldi is the better chromium browser and they don't goof around like this. ;)
Yep that works - Thanks :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Benedetto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Location: SW England

Re: Opera 54

Post by Benedetto » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:10 pm

I did not install the links in the post by gm10, I just put the earlier Opera 53 programme which is fine. I have noticed that even the most recent version of Opera 54 has the same problems for me. So until they fix it I am happy enough with version 53.
Incidentally, when using Windows 10 a while ago, I did try Vivaldi. However it seemed to be a very close relative to Google Chrome and as such intrusive. It is not, in my view as versatile as Opera, however it may be different now.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - version 4.2.3

Benedetto
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:50 am
Location: SW England

Re: Opera 54

Post by Benedetto » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:43 am

There has been a more recent Opera update, even so the problem still exists. Having installed LM 19 Cinnamon successfully on both my desktop and laptop I decided to install the solution mentioned by previous posters. All seems fine now.Thanks guys for the assistance.
Best wishes,
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - version 4.2.3

emjaycee
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:47 am

Re: Opera 54

Post by emjaycee » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Bit after the fact, and not necessarily a perfect fix, but this worked for me. I installed snapd through terminal and then installed the Opera snap. It comes into the menu as a 3D icon rather than a flat one so you will know the difference. The snap Opera works perfectly for me. The Mint version, even with a recent update still comes up with the plugin blocked message. I've had a bit of a play with Vivaldi on another computer and don't mind it, but it doesn't have a pre-installed adblocker and I'm still getting used to its settings. But it definitely looks promising :) The other fix also sounds great. Thanks for the advice.

Cheers
Michael

Post Reply

Return to “Software & Applications”