flatpak doesn't work in my Linux Mint 19 install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnbeen

flatpak doesn't work in my Linux Mint 19 install

Post by johnbeen »

Dear all,
After installing Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon I can't install any flatpak app from the software manager or from flathub. For all apps I try to install I get an error message like "Could not locate runtime '...' in any registered remotes." In case of for example Gimp it shows "Could not locate runtime 'runtime/org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.28' in any registered remotes." In linux Mint 18.3 flatpak worked perfectly out of the box, so why suddenly this issue? Anyone an idea?
Thanks in advance.
Kind regards,
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: flatpak doesn't work in my Linux Mint 19 install

Post by Sir Charles »

There is an issue with Flatpaks in Software Manager in LM 19 at the moment. A fix is on the way.
See: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=271907
johnbeen

Post by johnbeen »

Hi Marziano,
Thank you for your quick reply.
Then I wait patiently for the fix.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

johnbeen wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm Hi Marziano,
While you wait you might want to use the GIMP 2.10 AppImage. If you are a photographer and use either darktable or RawTherapee to process your RAW files, the AppImage is superior to the flatpak because it was built with the RAW Importers for darktable, RAWTherapee, and nufraw.

Download it at: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

This AppImage is under active development, and there have been several nice improvements since the initial release. The current version is gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-86_64.AppImage

If you are unfamiliar with AppImage, it is another "universal" package system. It has been in use for a lot longer than flatpak. Unlike flatpaks, you do not "install" an AppImage - you simply download it and make it executable. I created an AppImage directory, and that is where store the AppImages I use.

After you download the AppImage, open a terminal and navigate to the location of the file, and make it executable by entering chmod u+x filename.AppImage. To make this GIMP AppImage executable the command you would use is

Code: Select all

chmod u+x gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
Next, launch the AppImage from the terminal with this command. (Do not leave out the ./ ... it is essential.) You can also launch the AppImage from your file browser by clicking on the icon or from the menu entry if you choose to integrate the AppImage to your desktop. I recommend running it from the command line for the first time because it will let you see any errors.

./gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
The first time you run it you will be asked if you want to integrate the AppImage to your desktop - if you answer Yes, a menu entry will be created.

If you do not like the AppImage, simply delete the file and the menu entry.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
johnbeen

Post by johnbeen »

BenTrabetere wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:09 am
johnbeen wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm Hi Marziano,
While you wait you might want to use the GIMP 2.10 AppImage. If you are a photographer and use either darktable or RawTherapee to process your RAW files, the AppImage is superior to the flatpak because it was built with the RAW Importers for darktable, RAWTherapee, and nufraw.

Download it at: https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

This AppImage is under active development, and there have been several nice improvements since the initial release. The current version is gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-86_64.AppImage

If you are unfamiliar with AppImage, it is another "universal" package system. It has been in use for a lot longer than flatpak. Unlike flatpaks, you do not "install" an AppImage - you simply download it and make it executable. I created an AppImage directory, and that is where store the AppImages I use.

After you download the AppImage, open a terminal and navigate to the location of the file, and make it executable by entering chmod u+x filename.AppImage. To make this GIMP AppImage executable the command you would use is

chmod u+x gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
Next, launch the AppImage from the terminal with this command. (Do not leave out the ./ ... it is essential.) You can also launch the AppImage from your file browser by clicking on the icon or from the menu entry if you choose to integrate the AppImage to your desktop. I recommend running it from the command line for the first time because it will let you see any errors.

./gimp-git-2.10.3-20180628.glibc2.15-x86_64.AppImage
The first time you run it you will be asked if you want to integrate the AppImage to your desktop - if you answer Yes, a menu entry will be created.

If you do not like the AppImage, simply delete the file and the menu entry.
Hi Ben,
Thank you for your reaction. I will have a look at your information and try it out. Much appreciated.
lpreston2002

Post by lpreston2002 »

The work around for me, was to install one of the winepak apps on the command line using the following command

flatpak install winepak org.notepad_plus_plus.Notepad-plus-plus

This will install all the necessary runtime and other files, then go back into the software manager and all of the other winepak apps should work and install properly.

Return to “Software & Applications”