Why do icon themes change

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lmuserx4849

Why do icon themes change

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I see humanity-icon-theme is going to be removed at Linux Mint Roadmap.

Why do icons change? For years, you look at an icon and say, I know what that is - editor, terminal, go to the end. They change and you think, what is that symbol suppose to represent. Let me squint, magnify... oh, I'll look for an alternative :-) Icons need to come with instruction manuals. I know some of it is probably due to the flat, colorless themes and some marketing. Someone reported a missing icon on another distro, and the response was, why don't you provide one... which is fine, but why can't they just use the one that existed in the previous version :? Once an icon is created in multiple sizes (16...128), it is bascially maintenance free, isn't it. One less thing to do :-) Are there technical reasons for the change?

Tango and Oxygen are two of my favorite icon sets.

LibreOffice I changed Icon style to Galaxy.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Why do icon themes change

Post by catweazel »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm Why do icons change? For years...
Because the world refuses stop just for you :)
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm I see humanity-icon-theme is going to be removed at Linux Mint Roadmap.

Why do icons change?
Humanity is an upstream icon theme from Ubuntu, it's not going anywhere. I believe the change on the roadmap is just about it being installed by default.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

gm10 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 pm
lmuserx4849 wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:43 pm I see humanity-icon-theme is going to be removed at Linux Mint Roadmap.

Why do icons change?
Humanity is an upstream icon theme from Ubuntu, it's not going anywhere. I believe the change on the roadmap is just about it being installed by default.
Thank you.

As I mentioned someone brought up a missing icon in a theme. It seemed to be a touchy point, or maybe they just wanted to get more people involved :-). I read about the Tango Project and the Guidelines. I mention the Tango project just because I really haven't come across many documents like that and was amazed at the thoughtfulness of the project, coordination, and resources. Given that time is always in short supply, it would be efficient if it stuck around for awhile, plus many end-users appreciation consistency.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:05 pm As I mentioned someone brought up a missing icon in a theme.
[,,,]
I don't claim to understand the mindset of the dev team regarding icons. I'm amazed enough that all but 2 of the icon sets that come with Mint 19 have missing icons. Completely unnecessarily, too - you can define fallback sets in theme files that automatically get used for missing icons, it would be a no-effort solution to that problem that isn't getting used.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

While I have no answer to your specific "why", lmuserx4849, broadly speaking, it seems as though the GNU+Linux world is basically just doing the same thing that Apple, Google, etc., do on their smartphone and tablet platforms. I agree that it's stupid.

Of course, I also think the whole "go flat" thing is stupid.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 pm I don't claim to understand the mindset of the dev team regarding icons. I'm amazed enough that all but 2 of the icon sets that come with Mint 19 have missing icons. Completely unnecessarily, too - you can define fallback sets in theme files that automatically get used for missing icons, it would be a no-effort solution to that problem that isn't getting used.
You might want to take that up with them? They usually hang out at IRC; you could try to interest them for this.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Chat about Linux”